Question: Dual Threat QB (Blake Sims) throws 45 times

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
In the old days (Bear Bryant, etc.) the actual tackle could go out for the pass if he was the last player on the end, but now the player has to actually be logged as a receiver with the officials before the game. Bama had this coverred, and found a way to legalize the old tackle eligible play. IT was great timing.

Bama also beautifully executed a legal WR pick in the game on the final TD. Had the WR initiated contact or moved to block the path of the defender it would have been illegal, but the Bama players ran it perfectly so it was a clean play. Two outstanding calls that were well executed.

Last night we got to see the worst of LK and the best of LK all in one game. Some real head-scrating calls at critical times in the game, but then some genius plays at other times. Overall jury still out on Kiffin.
I wonder about this ^. We are in the thick of the race for one of the playoff slots while working with a QB who had very little game experience, missing one of our more dangerous weapons in Drake, and with an offensive line that has been solid but far from overwhelming.

I suppose you can say the jury is still out with games remaining, however, I am happy we have him running our offense. Also, am excited for the future as our players get more familiar with his systems and vice versa.

One persons' opinion, of course.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Dual Threat QB throws 45 times

So, let me see if I can figure out how this works.

Go nuts during the game, say a lot of crazy things, blame everyone possible.

Alabama wins, calm down wait a while, then start up with the complaining again. I'm not directing that toward anyone in particular, but we saw how things worked when they were making the connections. When interference wasn't being called, when balls were being dropped, and when the accuracy wasn't there it was a different story. I get why they wanted to attempt those passes though, because that was what LSU was giving them and those are plays that Alabama can (and ultimately did) make.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

I think the play calling was fine for the situation. It was poor execution...dropped passes foremost...that caused us problems.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He has to have an eligible number and line up in a eligible spot.
True. A couple of years ago, the last time we did it, we took the precaution of telling one of the officials in advance, but one the others threw a flag, only to have to pick it up...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

There's a thread that explains this play step by step.
Can someone explain how this works? Is it just how they were positioned in respect to the LOS that allowed the tight end to not be considered as the LT? I thought the OL had to put their hands on the ground too. Why didn't the RT have that stance?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.