An apology and some analysis

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I guess if we are coming clean, I need to apologize as well. I think I posted something like' we are just gonna lose' . But, the 'man on the outside with no safety help ' looks were open on a couple of throws, and Blake had a clean pocket. He just missed , and a couple he and the receivers weren't on the same page. Not Blake's best night, but he came through when needed.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nobody really went over the top last night, even when we looked so bad in the 2nd half and it looked like a certain loss. In fact, I was already not looking forward to managing the postgame thread...

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think I posted something like ' it's over, we've lost' and of course I feel bad about now...but man....it was looking BLEAK after that fumble.

I'm glad our guys didn't give up. I don't feel like I gave up so much as I just felt imminent defeat sinking in when we had looked absolutely lifeless on offense the entire 2nd half. I just couldn't imagine a comeback.

The turning point was the defense coming in ANGRY and only allowing the FG. Landon, Ragland, and everyone else took the field with a 'guys we ARE NOT losing this attitude'. It bleed over to Blake and the Offense to engineer that FG drive and then Foster WOKE EVERY ONE up son!!

Unbelievable Comeback win. I feel bad like everyone else but I think we can cut ourselves a little slack. It was looking ROUGH.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I need to apologize because I always try to be positive. Well last night I posted some stuff I shouldn't have and gave up on the team. It won't happen again because this team really surprised me with that come back, they have heart. Roll Tide.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll go ahead and add few things... Everyone made good points on lot of things. I thought we threw the ball little too much, but I can see why Kiffin did that. but What I was wondering the play calling in the first two quarters. I was thinking we need to run a play where White has a chance to get the ball similar to what Norwood did last year. Kiffin doesn't take advantage of White's jumping skills. At times we had successful running the ball, and at times we didn't. I think we got caught off guard by LSU looks at times and we didnt' adjust like we had hoped to do so. I think we left at least 21 points on the board. It came down to players dropping the balls a lot. So I'm not blaming it on Kiffin completely. We had a shot down the field few times, but it didn't work out well. Remember AJ and his issues with deep ball? I don't think this offense is a good fit to throw a deep ball. Now, we started to play better in the final minute of he game and Overtime... why? The energy of the team. I think we found our identity. Before Arkansas game, we had similar issues like we had last night, but as soon the team comes together, we automatically play better. Last night confirmed that. I think we figured out what kind of team we are and I think we'll be just fine against MSU. Defense bailed us out a lot as usual, but but.... We have issues with 3rd down situations with the mobile QB. Many times we have missed the gaps and allowed the QBs to run free. I think when the gaps are open It's up to LB and Safety to identify that and close up the holes. So I expect us to to work on our 3rd down situations, fade routes, back shoulder passes ( for defense) and for Offense, Catching the balls, and ball security. I think we'll be fine. We should come out of the LSU relatively healthy.

We also HAVE to start completing some passes more than 10 yards down field. Hopefully we can figure this out in the next 5 days.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I never understand posters who love Bama football but are very quick to post negative and/or abusive statements. I've never understood bashing something you love. I know it exists....but when times are tough you provide support.....

I get being disappointed....but there should always be a line.

If you truly feel these kids are trying their very best....do you really have the right to complain?

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
One thing I will say, they were a different team in OT. it was like the team was lulled to sleep in the second half. don't know if it was the drive or the hit or the defensive stand, but something changed. Like a flick of switch. Les was right, after the penalty the complexion of the game changed. Don't think it was the penalty though. I think the players realized the season was almost over, reached down for a little more.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I didn't want to start a new thread, but here I go. I found out that Kiffin and CNS were expecting a strong running game against LSU. Sims checked out of the run plays a lot throughout the game. That would definitely explain why some of the playcalling were weird. LSU players figured it out, and realized that the passing game wasn't there, so they stacked the box up and "taunted" Sims to throw the ball. It worked. There were several players where White or Jones were open, but Sims was focused on Cooper too much. This goes the same for Cooper as well. Also, the ball were either over thrown, or miscommunications. Sims was trying too hard. Half of the passes wasn't timed correctly and if it was, Sims would've had 450 yards with 4 touchdowns. There was two plays, where Cooper was on one on one match up and if he had caught that ball, he's gone. Another play where Jones was on wheel route and the ball was overthrown. I've come to realize that Sims play his best under the clutch moments. I also noticed that when he is spreading the ball around, that's when he's at his best. He stopped forcing the passes in the last 3 minutes of the game and in overtime and then He became a different man. Playing at home should be a huge benefit for him, less pressure.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
To LSU's credit, they have an outstanding defense and their offensive line is filled with monsters. They got tremendous push all night long. However, our defense played outstanding as well and rose to the occasion. I hate playing LSU and I love playing LSU because it's too big brutes slugging it out in the trenches the way football was meant to be played.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I never understand posters who love Bama football but are very quick to post negative and/or abusive statements. I've never understood bashing something you love. I know it exists....but when times are tough you provide support.....

I get being disappointed....but there should always be a line.

If you truly feel these kids are trying their very best....do you really have the right to complain?
My FiL, who can get really negative while watching a game, explains like this: it's easier for him to just expect the worst because if the worst happens, you saw it coming, and if it doesn't, then you get pleasantly surprised. I think a lot of our fans are like that. Either that or they've bet a lot of money on the games.:)

Since missing the miraculous Terrance Cody block to beat Tennessee in 2009 because I was so upset I had to leave the room, I've stayed for every second of every game and haven't given up on Alabama. This year has been incredibly frustrating at times but it's been made all the more fun because despite this team's flaws, they never quit.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The 2014 version of Alabama has turned into something of a hybrid football team. The offense has gone MIA in some games and has looked like world beaters other times in the same game. The OL looks to be better at pass blocking over run blocking. The running game needs improvement if we are to keep Prescott and Marshall off the field. It appears, and I could be wrong, that Sims has been instructed not to run, just get rid of the ball. He is too good a runner to not let him take off when the opportunity is there. His ability to run could pay huge dividends against MSU and auburn. Blake does need to spread the ball around and take pressure off Cooper. I hope we are more judicious in using the fade route in the upcoming games.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Happy the young men pulled it out. They did exactly what they needed to do Saturday which was win. Was definitely proud of the fact that they played through adversity. Now lets see if we can come and play 60 minutes of continually punch MSU in the mouth and hopefully get another win.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I am a 78 year old man, and even though I love bama football, I will sit in my living room and fuss about all the ups and downs in a game, and place blame on coaching mostly, and some times I do single out a few individual players that consistenly don't make play. and sometimes I do voice my displeasure with occurance in games that bug me. I have been doing that for over 60 years, and I am not going to stop. however, I love my bama boys, and coaches and will continue to expect the highest level of coaching and play. I will never settle for complacency or acceptance for less than best effort. I admire the effort of our young men, and the talent many have. I still think, we rush to the right to much, not enough downfield passing and I understand why. blake is not a downfield passer, but, he is tough and eager to get the job done. this dependence on Amari cooper bothers me, because we do have other talented receivers, and think they need to be included. just my thoughts, and we only have three games left, which we have to win to go to the playoffs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.