Obama wants to make the internet a utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
we are moving our offices to hapeville (next to the airport) this spring and it, along with east point is slated to get google fiber. so home and office will have google fiber soon
Yeah I'm sitting here in Brookhaven waiting for the signups to begin. I'm surprised Hapeville got it, but I've also heard the airport had more unused fiber surrounding it that anywhere in the Southeast. So I guess that is why.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I will add this. Making this a utility is IMO the wrong way to go, and adds layers that need not be there. IMO there simply needs to be a separation of classes of companies. If Comcast wants to be both a service provider and a media provider (for lack of better terms) I have no problem with that, but they have to be made to work as separate entities.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
You may have an interest in seeing this benefit your use of the internet but you do not realize the freedom you are giving up to get it.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah I'm sitting here in Brookhaven waiting for the signups to begin. I'm surprised Hapeville got it, but I've also heard the airport had more unused fiber surrounding it that anywhere in the Southeast. So I guess that is why.
hapeville and east point both are getting it (i think college park is too). i was surprised by east point, we are horribly run and our city govt is a joke, but hapeville is actually a well run city. hapeville is humming along pretty good, delta hq is there and now porche's north american hq is there and a lot of smaller stuff is moving in to what has been long vacant commercial space (we are getting a ridiculous deal; about $5+ /sq ft less than comparable space two miles away in east point). a new beer growler store (44 taps) just opened up two doors down from our new office and my buddy is about to open a brewery three blocks away.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"The government that cannot properly set up ONE internet site for healthcare is now taking control of all of them."
Think about that and tell me how this is a good thing.
The same commission (FCC) that oversees the telecomm industry is watching this - are you comparing your cell phone / land line to the Obamacare site?

Phone calls today are less expensive and more reliable than they were under Ma-Bell. I dunno about you, but I can't recall the last time my landline was out. And it's exceedingly rare that I drop a call on my cell or fail to have coverage.

Just because the government sucks at a lot of things doesn't means this is a bad thing...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Someday a wireless technology will render this absurdity a moot point.
I hope so. That said the two of major players that would be the most likely ones to develop it (Verizon and AT&T) are two of the very companies at the center of the problem. They limit bandwidth by classifying what type of traffic/protocol and what content is being requested.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
The FCC does not have global jurisdiction.
Well they will unless we cede control of the root DNS servers. Different discussion, but the internet is a network of networks. It is decentralized, but there are underpinnings that only the U.S. controls, and I strongly hope we always will.

That said. In this case I trust our FCC a lot more than depending on a foreign based company to provide a service that is free and open (for me that is saying a lot, but it is true). In fact if a "global" service like this happens I would expect it to be provided with a great deal of filtering and blocking to limit dissident content.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Well they will unless we cede control of the root DNS servers. Different discussion, but the internet is a network of networks. It is decentralized, but there are underpinnings that only the U.S. controls, and I strongly hope we always will.

That said. In this case I trust our FCC a lot more than depending on a foreign based company to provide a service that is free and open (for me that is saying a lot, but it is true). In fact if a "global" service like this happens I would expect it to be provided with a great deal of filtering and blocking to limit dissident content.
Technology often renders central authority irrelevant.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Ummm http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...7472d0-abb5-11e3-adbc-888c8010c799_story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.