What happens if the last playoff spot comes down to a choice between TCU and Baylor?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
All other things being equal, h-to-h has got to matter. But of course it's not the only thing that matters, especially when all other things aren't equal. The h-to-h argument followed on its own with no other considerations often leads you down some pretty strange paths. For instance, I don't think many people would argue that 9-1 Colorado State is a better team than 9-1 Oregon, despite the fact that CSU beat Boston College, who beat USC, who beat Arizona, who beat Oregon.
I think the only way head to head is "conclusive/exclusive" is if one kills the other on the road (like say we beat the Aggies 59-0 in College Station and both ended with one loss). A narrow win? One at home?

You could IN THEORY argue that a home field is worth three points and TCU lost by three. You could also take into account that TCU played a tough OU team the weak before while Baylor was playing a weak Texas team. It's hard for me to put the entire argument down to a 3-point head to head win owing to a defensive collapse on the road IF one argues TCU's eyeball test is better otherwise.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Big-12 has thrown a wrench into this system. Perhaps it is intentional? Either way, I hope it never benefits them any...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The Big-12 has thrown a wrench into this system. Perhaps it is intentional? Either way, I hope it never benefits them any...
The Big 12 believes because they all play each other, they don't have to play anybody else. Look at all of their OOC games it is really sad. And they have the nerve to criticize the SEC OOC.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
"Hello, Big 12? Yeah, we have a problem here. Y'all don't play a conference championship game, so we are giving the 4th spot to the winner of the Egg Bowl. Thank you for your understanding, participation in this exciting new play-off series. Good bye, and better luck next year."

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
If the inaugural CFB playoff slots come down to a choice between TCU and Baylor, all I can say is shame on Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, and a handful of other traditional powers who have fallen into mediocrity.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Tie between TCU and Baylor, it would come down to the 9th tiebreaker, which sez give it to a third SEC TEAM.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the inaugural CFB playoff slots come down to a choice between TCU and Baylor, all I can say is shame on Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, and a handful of other traditional powers who have fallen into mediocrity.
You are entitled to your opinion, but every great program has down cycles, including Alabama. This year the Big 12 has all of its normal power house teams in a down cycle, so their mid-tier teams get a shot at the title - KSU, TCU and Baylor. This would be like a year in the SEC in which MSU, Ole Miss and Mizzou were among the best teams. Oh, wait - they are among the best teams this year.

Just a strange year in college football.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Neither TCU nor Baylor have any business being ranked ahead of Bama in my opinion.
All have one loss. The only common opponent is West Virginia, who beat Baylor and should have beaten TCU. We played lousy and beat them by ten.
As far as quality wins, beating West Virginia, A&M 59-0, and LSU in Baton Rouge is a heck of a lot more impressive overall than anything these two teams have done.
Of course I'm biased, but I can't see the infatuation with these teams.
sip

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I also think TCU will be #4 tonight. From outside the SEC looking in, LSU and A&M don't offer anything to make them look impressive. LSU managed all of 10 points vs an Ole Miss offense that had it's worst offensive game of the year and A&M beat an Auburn team that had to fumble on 2 of it's last 4 plays (and probably got hosed on the call on the 1st one) to lose the game.

A Baylor/TCU decision is very possible at the end of the year if the chips fall the right way. I would give the nod to TCU.

the infatuation with these teams is that some of them (Baylor, TCU, Oregon, Auburn) are capable of scoring 60+ on any given Saturday against anyone. Not to say they can't be contained....they can. But if the #1 over all defense in the nation played those 4 teams 10 times each (in a hypothetical universe) there would be plenty of 60+ point outputs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I also think TCU will be #4 tonight. From outside the SEC looking in, LSU and A&M don't offer anything to make them look impressive. LSU managed all of 10 points vs an Ole Miss offense that had it's worst offensive game of the year and A&M beat an Auburn team that had to fumble on 2 of it's last 4 plays (and probably got hosed on the call on the 1st one) to lose the game.

A Baylor/TCU decision is very possible at the end of the year if the chips fall the right way. I would give the nod to TCU.

the infatuation with these teams is that some of them (Baylor, TCU, Oregon, Auburn) are capable of scoring 60+ on any given Saturday against anyone. Not to say they can't be contained....they can. But if the #1 over all defense in the nation played those 4 teams 10 times each (in a hypothetical universe) there would be plenty of 60+ point outputs.
No, there would not. Name a time that a top 5 defense has allowed 60 points to a team - ever.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
If TCU or Baylor is #4 after the first week of December and the other is #5, it simply means #5 will whine that they could have beaten whomever #4 lost to in the first round of the playoffs. RTR

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Yes, I think they would. Your current NCAA top 5 defenses are:

1.Wisconsin
2.Clemson
3.Penn State
4.Alabama
5.Stanford

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

If you think it's impossible that none of the teams I listed above could score 60 on any of those top 5 defenses then I think your kidding yourself. Also, the days of top offenses topping 60 points with regularity is relatively new so there's not a ton of history to go on--I'll concede that. But I think that any of the 4 teams I originally listed (Auburn, TCU, Baylor, Oregon) could hang 60 Wisconsin, Clemson, Penn State, or Stanford and I don't think it would take a Herculean effort to do it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, I think they would. Your current NCAA top 5 defenses are:

1.Wisconsin
2.Clemson
3.Penn State
4.Alabama
5.Stanford

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

If you think it's impossible that none of the teams I listed above could score 60 on any of those top 5 defenses then I think your kidding yourself. Also, the days of top offenses topping 60 points with regularity is relatively new so there's not a ton of history to go on--I'll concede that. But I think that any of the 4 teams I originally listed (Auburn, TCU, Baylor, Oregon) could hang 60 Wisconsin, Clemson, Penn State, or Stanford and I don't think it would take a Herculean effort to do it.
Scoring defenses - they are:

Ole Miss
Alabama
Wisconsin
Stanford
LSU

None of those teams gives up 60 to any college team. Alabama could play 100 games against the best offenses in the country with this year's defense and not give up 60 points.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have never seen a legit top defense give up 60 points in all my years of watching football.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
The Big 12 believes because they all play each other, they don't have to play anybody else. Look at all of their OOC games it is really sad. And they have the nerve to criticize the SEC OOC.
Look at their IN conference games. The conference is just as bad as the Big10. Probably worse considering they only have 10 teams.

If WE played Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, Texas, we would be blasted for having such a soft OOC schedule.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Look at their IN conference games. The conference is just as bad as the Big10. Probably worse considering they only have 10 teams.

If WE played Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, Texas, we would be blasted for having such a soft OOC schedule.
exactly and yet they knock us for ONLY beating one of their FREAKING teams in WV for our OOC. and they had only hung 70 points on Clemson in the Org. Bowl when we scheduled them.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.