Game Plan for Mississippi State

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Game Plan for Mississippi State

Mi$$ state is 9-0 for the first time in the school history In 2012, they went 7-0 before losing to Alabama. This time, Mi$$ state is lot better, tougher, and stronger team. They are coming to the T-town with plenty of questions that needs to be answered. Again, Everyone keeps saying that stats is skewed and it probably is, but nevertheless, the numbers don't lie. We know Texas A and M , Auburn, Kentucky and LSU lighted them up with their passing game and their rushing defense haven't been great, but it gets the job done for the D.

How do we stop Miss State and come away with D?
Turnover is the key. Dan Prescott has 7 ints for the year. He's on track to have between 9 and 12 ints this season. WE need to find a way to blitz but keep him from running. It is possible we'll see someone on D to spy him. We know he is not 100 percent, so that could work to our advantage. Miss state loves to spread the ball around to different WRs, so We need CBs to play clean game. I expect Landon Collin, once again to have big game. Prescott and Robinson are dangerous in red zone. It's amazing that We know we matched up well against LSU, and Miss played LSU. LSU forced 2 fumbles in that game If we can take away their running game, we can force MSU to be one dimensional team with passing game. Can anyone tell me if LSU or Auburn constantly put pressure on MSU throughout the game, forcing Dan to scramble all the time? I don't remember seeing that, I don't think? Oh, we gotta watch out for "trick plays" they'll likely to pull 1 or two in the game.

How do we score against Miss State with our offense?
Keep doing what we do best: Find the best matchup and go with it. I don't think we'll see the same thing what we saw against LSU. Miss State Secondary is very weak at best, and I think we'll try and take shots at them, if the opportunity is there. We might see Stewart getting some playing time to help out the offense. I expect Miss state to put their safety on the top to try and limit Cooper, but Something tells me that White, Jones, black or Sims will get the job done. Our running game should be lot better. Now is the time to use Fowler in the running game little more to help wear down the defense in second half. Yeldon and Henry with option of Fowler should get the job done. Let's not forget that We saw OJ Howard stepping up big time in the game against LSU, so I think he'll get some looks against MSU. Blake Sims have to do what he do best: just play with his heart, and go with flow. I think the game plan will be half conservation and half aggressive. If we can get points on board real fast, and keep making plays, we'll be okay. I Just hope CNS won't try to protect the lead in 3rd quarter, because I want to keep putting points on MSU, making it harder for them to come back. This is the game where Kiffin will truly open his playbook a little and we'll see lot of people getting involved this time.

Thoughts?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Defense: With MSU's RB, we could probably run our base defense and be ok. You saw us adjust to Jennings late in the LSU game....still base defense, but we do not rush past Dak vertically. We did not think Jennings could beat us, so we played a lot of man...and I do not think Dak can beat us vertically to the point where we are overly concerned in our play calls.

MSU runs a lot of zone and a lot of called QB runs. Our base defense can effectively beat this. I have no clue what CNS is preparing, just my thoughts.

Offense: MSU is not as bad as stats indicate. A lot of teams have went pass happy late to come back against a soft prevent or cover 2.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
When we get them in a 3rd and 5 or longer, play zone, contain the edge, and push up the middle to keep the QB in front of the D. M2M give him the opportunity to run w/our DBs having their backs to him.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree with both of the posts. That's why I don't think we will have issue with them. We take what we can from LSU Game and adjust it and it'll be real bad for them. the option offense is screaming for Fumbles...

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Defense- I think we really match up well with MSU strengths. Our front seven vs theirs will be a war in the trenches. If we pound/ hit them enough, I don't think they have the depth to maintain.

Offense- The more points we score, the more aspects of the MSU strength we take away (get a lead and build points with every opportunity). While Dak is a very good QB, making him be a pocket passer and pounding him the whole game, will diminish his ground game threat.

BamaJackPA

Aug 4, 2014
Points on the board real fast... I sure hope so. Want to keep the crowd in this game!
However... Bama hasn't scored a 1st quarter TD vs. the next opponent after the LSU game, going back to 2001. Time for a change.
Tide's margin of victory at BDS is 40 points. I like that.
KEY stat--- MSU's bend, but don't break defense. Their red zone defense is #1 in the nation @ 58%.
Opponents are 18-31, scoring a TD only 32% of the time and a FG 26% of the time.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Okay, The number is skewed because they played against Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama and Ten- Martin. If we focused on SEC teams only, we'll get this:

LSU 2/3
Texas A and M 3/4
Auburn 4/6
Kentucky 3/4
Arkansas 2/5 ( this is the team that runs ball only)

Points on the board real fast... I sure hope so. Want to keep the crowd in this game!
However... Bama hasn't scored a 1st quarter TD vs. the next opponent after the LSU game, going back to 2001. Time for a change.
Tide's margin of victory at BDS is 40 points. I like that.
KEY stat--- MSU's bend, but don't break defense. Their red zone defense is #1 in the nation @ 58%.
Opponents are 18-31, scoring a TD only 32% of the time and a FG 26% of the time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
MSU Offense has 46 percent converting 3rd downs and 36 percent on 4th downs. Also, The touchdown passes are declining each game. Sounds like they're going with running game more than passing.

Defense- I think we really match up well with MSU strengths. Our front seven vs theirs will be a war in the trenches. If we pound/ hit them enough, I don't think they have the depth to maintain.

Offense- The more points we score, the more aspects of the MSU strength we take away (get a lead and build points with every opportunity). While Dak is a very good QB, making him be a pocket passer and pounding him the whole game, will diminish his ground game threat.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Okay, The number is skewed because they played against Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama and Ten- Martin. If we focused on SEC teams only, we'll get this:

LSU 2/3
Texas A and M 3/4
Auburn 4/6
Kentucky 3/4
I find that much more revealing than the original stat.

Good analysis JNM81.

BamaJackPA

Aug 4, 2014

LSU 2/3
Texas A and M 3/4
Auburn 4/6
Kentucky 3/4
Thx for breaking that down even further. Didn't think to exclude the cupcake teams they faced. That number jumps to 64% 914-22) vs. SEC teams. Here's that link that compares the teams vs. common opponents... http://myteamsbetter.com/#HOME?statView=All Stats&compareOption=COMMON_OPPONENTS

Four common opponents

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
i saw that one. I'm not quite sold on some of the numbers between both teams, but it does sounds just about right.
Here's another stats to analyze. Check out the trends of MSU offense in each category, and that goes the same for Defense as well. You'll see some of their numbers are declining each game while some are going up. I think We'll see little more running than passing from MSU especially in 1st quarter.

Thx for breaking that down even further. Didn't think to exclude the cupcake teams they faced. That number jumps to 64% 914-22) vs. SEC teams. Here's that link that compares the teams vs. common opponents... http://myteamsbetter.com/#HOME?statView=All Stats&compareOption=COMMON_OPPONENTS

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Defense: With MSU's RB, we could probably run our base defense and be ok. You saw us adjust to Jennings late in the LSU game....still base defense, but we do not rush past Dak vertically. We did not think Jennings could beat us, so we played a lot of man...and I do not think Dak can beat us vertically to the point where we are overly concerned in our play calls.

MSU runs a lot of zone and a lot of called QB runs. Our base defense can effectively beat this. I have no clue what CNS is preparing, just my thoughts.

Offense: MSU is not as bad as stats indicate. A lot of teams have went pass happy late to come back against a soft prevent or cover 2.
KY didn't.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I'd imagine we'll see a defensive gameplan similar to '08 & '09 Florida but with a few wrinkles thrown in. I think we match up fairly well with what they want do. Hopefully, Dak won't win himself the Heisman Saturday night.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'd imagine we'll see a defensive gameplan similar to '08 & '09 Florida but with a few wrinkles thrown in. I think we match up fairly well with what they want do. Hopefully, Dak won't win himself the Heisman Saturday night.
If he does, IMHO, it`ll be with his legs more so than his arm (though I`m not denigrating his ability to throw!).

rangertau

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 29, 2000
Fairfax, VA
How do we stop Miss State and come away with D?
Turnover is the key. Dan Prescott has 7 ints for the year. He's on track to have between 9 and 12 ints this season. WE need to find a way to blitz but keep him from running. It is possible we'll see someone on D to spy him.
Turnovers are always the key - we need Dak to have a turnover prone game. Blitz's are for the desperate - we need to get steady pressure w/o blitzing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.