Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Last edited:

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I wasn't in favor of a playoff, but it's obvuous the current form won't last. If we're gonna do a playoff lets do it right.

Power 5 all need a championship game. Is the Big 12 the only P5 conference without a championship game?

What do we do with Notre Dame? Make them join a conference or be left out? My opinion is if they don't join a P5 conference they get left out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would only agree to this if all P5 conferences had the same number of teams, and had a conference championship game. Even then, most years will see a team unworthy of a Top 10 vote getting into the playoff bcause they won their weak conference. But I can live with that given the 3 at large bids.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I agree with B1GTide. I hate to see some 7-5 team make it just because they won their league. I think I will wait and see how the committee does the final four, before I abandon them. I can't imagine the best team in the nation would not make the top four in AP poll. That is what I would use instead of committee.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Blurb:

It's what the people want evidently -> http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=ncf&pollId=4584359

and that means it's coming. This committee thing is going to be such a bust. No one will be happy with it.
This is more in line with what I said years ago. Use the four major bowls with conference champion tie-ins and select three at large teams. (It seems like there was another conference at the time so there were only two at large teams, but the 5 and 3 would work well.) Play those bowls on Jan. 1 and take the four winners in a college football final four. That would be easy and make sense. However, I also thought the BCS got it right most of the time, so it was not bad to me.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
This is more in line with what I said years ago. Use the four major bowls with conference champion tie-ins and select three at large teams. (It seems like there was another conference at the time so there were only two at large teams, but the 5 and 3 would work well.) Play those bowls on Jan. 1 and take the four winners in a college football final four. That would be easy and make sense. However, I also thought the BCS got it right most of the time, so it was not bad to me.
Wouldn't this push the "A" day game back?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I just don't want Notre Dame being considered in this unless they are a part of a major conference. That just makes them almost automatically one of the at large bids. As far as a 7-5 team being in it, the number 1 seed will basically get a by when they play that team.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I like the idea of 8 teams, I just don't think the conference championship should have anything to do with it.
Think about it--if the five conference champions are automatic then that leaves the committee to select three teams instead of four. You talk about a cluster.
Personally, I think they should use the BCS Formula, let that formula pick the eight top teams for the playoff, and kick the committee out of Grapevine.
sip

Last edited:

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I see it definitely heading this direction.

Let's say Alabama beats Mississippi State and Auburn to secure a spot in the SEC championship game, where we have to play a multi-loss team such as Florida, Mizzou or Georgia. What does Alabama gain by having to play in that game? Obviously, it is a huge deal for us to win the SEC, but that game could cost us a chance to play in the playoffs. It almost reminds me of 1992 all over again.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I like the idea of 8 teams, I just don't think the conference championship should have anything to do with it.
Think about it--if the five conference champions are automatic then that leaves the committee to select three teams instead of four. You talk about a cluster.
Personally, I think they should use the BCS Formula, let that formula pick the eight top teams for the playoff, and kick the committee out of Grapevine.
sip
Yep. Probably won't happen. Usually the concept is to create even more beauracracy, not less. The cat's out of the bag.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm completely and totally against it.

After December 7, let's see if there are 8 teams worthy of playing for the title.

You are adding another quality opponent to everyone's already schedule. When I was in school Bama played 10 games and a bowl. Now there are 12 games and a conference championship, then 3 more games to win a championship so potentially 15 games. IMO, that's too much. By the end of the season the team with the least injuries will have a significant advantage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.