Muslims want separate holidays, not just the names removed (Christmas/Easter)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b789a6-6931-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

Christmas and Easter have been stricken from next year’s school calendar in Montgomery County. So have Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah.

Montgomery’s Board of Education voted 7 to 1 Tuesday to eliminate references to all religious holidays on the published calendar for 2015-2016, a decision that followed a request from Muslim community leaders to give equal billing to the Muslim holy day of Eid al-Adha.

In practical terms, Montgomery schools will still be closed for the Christian and Jewish holidays, as in previous years, and students will still get the same days off, as planned.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
According to the article, the Muslim community did not ask to have names removed from existing holidays--that was the board of education's decision.

But Tuesday’s outcome was not at all what Muslim leaders intended. They called the decision a surprise — and a glaring mistake.

“By stripping the names Christmas, Easter, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, they have alienated other communities now, and we are no closer to equality,” said Saqib Ali, a former Maryland state delegate and co-chair of the Equality for Eid Coalition. “It’s a pretty drastic step, and they did it without any public notification.”
That statement demonstrates a certain amount of respect towards other religions, wouldn't you say?

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I don't see how Muslims should expect "equality". The Muslim community did not build America and one could make a good argument that it aims to harm America.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
If I have kids going to that school, they're out of there effective immediately. If I'm a business owner in that community, I'm closing up shop, selling my house and moving out of there.
Some community leaders don't care when parents get upset. But they do care when their tax base drops.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
If I have kids going to that school, they're out of there effective immediately. If I'm a business owner in that community, I'm closing up shop, selling my house and moving out of there.
Some community leaders don't care when parents get upset. But they do care when their tax base drops.
Gimme a break.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I say that if they want to celebrate their holidays have at it. If they want the government to sanction it move to the Middle East, problem solved!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.