Quiet Heisman year

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I cant remember a Heisman year this quiet. Other than Mariota, Prescott, and Cooper, its been quiet. Is it cause of the playoff?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Heisman talk will heat up over the next few weeks. But right now, what's on everyone's mind, and lips, and monitors is the playoff, which suits me just fine - I can't stand all the hype and pub that's typically devoted to an individual award, especially one that's become such a joke.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Heisman talk will heat up over the next few weeks. But right now, what's on everyone's mind, and lips, and monitors is the playoff, which suits me just fine - I can't stand all the hype and pub that's typically devoted to an individual award, especially one that's become such a joke.
Another thing, it seems that those three guys are playing team ball. If Gurley wasn't in trouble, he'd be the frontrunner though

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I don't know if anyone had noticed, but this and that taking head keep bringing up ol jameis Winston, add he's apparently a contender. I guess performance doesn't matter, just celebrity

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The Heisman never earned you money or a contract but it surely did mean something once. Prior to the BCS, being the AP college football champion meant absolutely zero also, if you want to be truthful about it. Anywho, the Hesiman really lost credibility, IMHO, during the hype explosion of the 80's/90's when time and again it's recipients crashed & burned in bowl game and the NFL. Recent selections of players under scrutiny have really kind of been the nail in the coffin, though. I know their is Cam hatred/negative bias, but nationally I think that JM and JW have been the ones who really did irreparable harm to the Heisman name.

I think the only salvation for this award would be to reshift the focus to integrity and community involvement and away from "the best player in CFB" for a few years and regain some credibility. If any can be regained, that is.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
A big win this weekend could both help Amari and hurt Prescott. It would be nice to see Amari make it to NY. They seem determined to give it to Mariota though.
IMO, if things keep playing out like they have so far this year, Amari could very well make it to NY, especially if he has a huge day against MSU, which I think is a big possibility. Winning it though is a near impossibility for him, barring some total collapses from Oregon, MSU, Wisconsin, TCU, and Nebraska.

I think it's much, much more likely that he's the first one out (5th overall and doesn't get to NY), than it is that he wins. Desmond Howard in '91 and Tim Brown in '87 are (I think) the only pure WRs to ever win it, and Howard also returned punts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Prescott wins it if MSU wins out (doubt that this will happen)

Mariota is next in line, but Oregon will have to win out (I think/hope that ASU will beat them in their championship game)

If both of these teams drop a game, it is really up in the air. That is when a player like Cooper could slide in if he has huge games against MSU and Auburn in wins (the whole country will be watching those games). But it will take HUGE games. WRs just don't get much support from the voters.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I never thought the Heisman was all it was cracked up to be anyway. In the pre-1984 era (e.g. back when you were limited to three TV appearances a year), the Heisman went to whichever media anointed front-runner had a good year. It didn't even have to be a "great" year - just "minimally acceptable for who we decided was the front-runner."

There was a period of time when you did NOT win it or even get serious consideration unless you were at least a junior. I never saw a freshman MORE deserving of the Heisman than Herschel Walker. Here was a guy who went to a team that was 6-5 the previous year and WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, carrying the team on his back.

You simply don't do better than that. And Walker wasn't even a full-time player. He led the nation in TDs (15) and was third in the nation in rushing. The guy who won it, George Rogers, did lead the nation in rushing (he had about 160 more yards in 23 more carries with one less TD) but:
a) Walker's team beat Rogers's head to head
b) Rogers only won it because he was a senior

I'm not saying Rogers wasn't a good choice - but he was not the best by any means. And it was easy to push off Walker because "he'll get other chances and this is Rogers's last chance."

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I never thought the Heisman was all it was cracked up to be anyway. In the pre-1984 era (e.g. back when you were limited to three TV appearances a year), the Heisman went to whichever media anointed front-runner had a good year. It didn't even have to be a "great" year - just "minimally acceptable for who we decided was the front-runner."

There was a period of time when you did NOT win it or even get serious consideration unless you were at least a junior. I never saw a freshman MORE deserving of the Heisman than Herschel Walker. Here was a guy who went to a team that was 6-5 the previous year and WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, carrying the team on his back.

You simply don't do better than that. And Walker wasn't even a full-time player. He led the nation in TDs (15) and was third in the nation in rushing. The guy who won it, George Rogers, did lead the nation in rushing (he had about 160 more yards in 23 more carries with one less TD) but:

I'm not saying Rogers wasn't a good choice - but he was not the best by any means. And it was easy to push off Walker because "he'll get other chances and this is Rogers's last chance."
I remember watching George Rogers play in the bowl game in Birmingham the year before he won the Heisman.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Since 2008...if there was a QB who had a rating of over 180...he had the best shot at winning the Heisman. In 2012 AJ had the highest rating with 175 and Manziel won the Heisman with a rating of only 155...but his stats were unreal as we all remember. In 2009 Ingram won it and there was no QB with a rating higher than 164 (Tebow). Right now Mariota has a QB rating of 184.56...so unless he falls apart it looks like he will win the Heisman...based purely on statistics.

Top QB Ratings
2008: *Bradford* (180.84)
2009: Tebow (164.17) *Ingram*
2010: *Newton* (182.05)
2011: Wilson (191.78) *RG3* (189.47)
2012: McCarron (175.28) *Manziel* (155.32)
2013: *Winston* (184.85)

So it looks like if you are a QB and you have a rating over 180...you have an almost certain chance at winning the Heisman in today's world of college football.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Wasn't Archie Griffin the first junior to win the Heisman? He was sometime in the 70's.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.