Blog: Latest Bama News 11/13/14

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Baltimore Ravens rookie C.J. Mosley has made an early impression on NFL fans. The former Alabama All-American ranks second at his position in the first release of vote totals cast by fans for the Pro Bowl. With about a month left in the online balloting, Mosley ranks second to 2014 NFL Defensive Player of the Year Luke Kuechly among inside linebackers.

C.J. Mosley, Marcell Dareus make strong starts in Pro Bowl voting-al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010

Mullen: Mississippi State the ‘ultimate destination job’-sds

All season, as Mississippi State kept up it’s run at the top of the SEC, there’s been talk of head coach Dan Mullen leaving for a bigger-name school after the season. To his credit, Mullen has mostly brushed the question aside, saying, “the grass isn’t always greener.” This week, he made his most definitive statement on the speculation yet.

“Right now, in college football, this is the ultimate destination job. We’re the No. 1 team in the country,” Mullen told Seth Davis on Campus Insiders.
Mullen, in his sixth season at Mississippi State, has played a big of a role as anyone in getting the program to where it is now. He was involved in the development of the Seal Football Complex, which is just a year old, and he’s gained a reputation for taking less prospects like Dak Prescott and turning them into All-America players.
“I’ve had a hand in where every door in this facility went and how we’ve built this program from the ground up,” he told Davis. “I have a great administration and this program is built how I want a program to run.”
Throughout his career, Mullen has been linked to a variety of jobs — Penn State, Miami and this season Florida, where he was the offensive coordinator before coming to Starkville. Mullen makes it sound as if he and his family are happy right where they are.
“As my wife told me just the other night, we’re No. 1 in the country,” Mullen said to Davis. “Why would we want another (job)? Everybody wants this job, right?”

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010

Top 10 student sections in the country-sds

The SEC is very well represented in USA Today’s ranking of the best student sections in the country, as one would expect. SEC fans are some of the most intense in the country, so it only makes sense that the student sections are the rowdiest.

Here are the teams that fell just out of the top ten: Auburn, Florida State, Michigan, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Virginia Tech
I have personally seen both the Auburn and South Carolina student sections in action. Both times as a visiting fan, one time with a devastating result (Auburn) and the other with a pretty awesome result (South Carolina). The South Carolina student section was less welcoming to me, but I was also being not that awesome and probably deserved having stuff thrown at me. I was kindly asked to leave on that occasion. Anyway, I digress.

10 – Texas Tech

The fighting Kilff Kingsburys are apparently pretty fiesty. Any time your head coach is handing out cash prizes, students are going to show up.

9 – Oregon

If I was a student here I would be tempted to break into a Mighty Ducks “quack…quack…quack…quack quack quack” after pretty much every single play.

8 – Alabama

Houndstooth. So much houndstooth. Sweet Home Alabama. Yellow Hammer. There are a number of reasons why the Alabama student section makes this list. They’re some of the most passionate fans in the land.

7 – UCLA

I lived in LA for a little while and I gotta say this one surprises me a little bit. Sports don’t rank that high on people’s list of things to do. I mean, think of all the clubs you could be going to instead.

6 – Florida

“We are the boys” remains one of the coolest college football traditions in the country. Then of course you have the whole chomp thing. The students have had to suffer through a few rough seasons, otherwise they might be higher.

5 – Ohio State

Not sure how these students can be all that excited for a perennially underachieving team. Plus it gets super cold there. Sounds pretty awful.

4 – LSU

Death Valley is always high on the list of toughest places to play, largely because of how intense the student section is. Anytime you register as an earthquake, that is a big deal. Now, if only Mike the Tiger would come out to play.

3 – Penn State

I mean, what else is there to do? There is actually some pretty good fly-fishing not too far away. So there’s that. Plus Yuengling.

2 – Wisconsin

You can’t hate on the whole “Jump Around” thing. That is pretty cool.

1 – Texas A&M

The student section is known as the 12th man, so they are obviously a big deal. They even have special yell leaders to make sure everyone is going crazy. It will take a huge effort from another school to knock these guys from number 1.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010

Les Miles says the Tigers are ready for the cold weather-sds

that with his weekly radio show. Here are some of the highlights from his media availability:

• Miles joked during the teleconference that his team is using dry ice and fans to simulate the cold weather expected in Arkansas this weekend. “That hasn’t worked very well,” Miles said on the call. The coach said his players are ready to play in the cold and possible snow, and he’s glad for the cool weather in Baton Rouge this week. Miles added after practice that former standout defensive tackle Kyle Williams, now playing for the Buffalo Bills, gave the coaching staff some pointers on playing in the cold, while the equipment staff is working to get all of the Tigers’ gear outfitted for cold weather. “I think our team is looking forward to it. It’s going to be fun. I think our guys recognize the uniqueness of a real cold weather game,” the coach said.
  • Going up against Arkansas, another team that relies heavily on its running game (the Razorbacks run it on nearly 60 percent of their offensive plays), Miles speculated that both teams could hand it off upwards of 50 times.
  • Miles described Kenny Hilliard, who suffered a shoulder stinger against Alabama while running over Crimson Tide safety Landon Collins, as “day to day” and said he was unsure if Hilliard practiced on Wednesday, later adding that Hilliard did get some reps. On his radio show, Miles said he’s not sure the senior running back will be able to go on Saturday.
  • Kendell Beckwith, who strained his hamstring in the loss to Alabama, went through practice on Wednesday. Miles told the media after practice that Beckwith’s hamstring is sore and that he didn’t take all of the reps at middle linebacker.
  • After Anthony Jennings’ 8-for-26 passing game against Alabama, Miles naturally fielded some questions on the radio about freshman backup quarterback Brandon Harris. Miles said that, over the next few games, Harris will have an opportunity to “show his wares and play some more.” Harris hasn’t played any meaningful snaps since starting the Tigers’ 41-7 loss to Auburn. He’s got to play in garbage time in a blowout win over Kentucky.
  • After a rash of drops against Alabama, Miles said he doesn’t punish his receivers for dropping passes, as that makes them focus on not dropping the ball rather than catching it. He said that blame for the drops is shared by both the receivers and the quarterback. He called it a “public blame.”
  • Miles said that, in preparation for the cold, one coach went shirtless at practice. As it turns out, it was assistant athletic director Sam Nader, the longest-tenured member of LSU’s staff. LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette tweeted out this fantastic photo of Nader:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.