The Weekly Standard Has a Very Interesting Article on the CFP Committee

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The SEC team heavy first poll was really a red herring. The anti-SEC bias narrative is affecting what has been one of the strongest years in SEC history.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This seems to be the case:
"...the committee’s 12 members seem to be letting themselves get far too swayed by the last game they saw." and "In other words, the committee’s attention span seems to be about one week long. Hopefully that will change."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I hope Alabama can show them just how off-base the CFP is this weekend and throughout the rest of the season. My beef with the CFP is on the high level not just getting hot and bothered that Alabama seems to be getting slighted.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
This is an interesting read and the last part of the article pretty much sums it up.

"In the meantime, enjoy watching #3 Alabama host #1 Mississippi State on Saturday — and expect the selection committee to punish the loser much more than it will reward the winner."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...yoff-committee-shortchanges-south_818964.html
If Bama wins and moves to 3/4 and State drops to Alabama's previous spot of #5--the ideal scenario following a loss for them--they still would have been punished more (fell 4 spots) than Bama was rewarded (rose 1-2 spots). Or maybe the author isn't familiar with how polls have always worked.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
The committee is just an unnecessay way to dramatize the ratings. Prior BCS was accurate but not as sexy. Now we have more drama everyweek driven by what they will be considering as the "rationale de jour". More drama; more TV; more writing, you get the picture.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
This seems to be the case:
"...the committee’s 12 members seem to be letting themselves get far too swayed by the last game they saw." and "In other words, the committee’s attention span seems to be about one week long. Hopefully that will change."
When a poll is issued weekly then, yes, it changes from week to week based on......wait for it.....the previous week's activities.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I read the article, and it does really make a lot of sense. And, I hate to admit it, but he is right about the Barn too. Something that we can get an agreement from across the state :)

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
The committee is just an unnecessay way to dramatize the ratings. Prior BCS was accurate but not as sexy. Now we have more drama everyweek driven by what they will be considering as the "rationale de jour". More drama; more TV; more writing, you get the picture.
Yep. As long as the final poll is right this stuff doesn't matter.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The author is 100% correct. This committee is completely dropping the ball. By the time Dec 7 rolls around, they will have totally screwed this thing up. I am starting to wonder if we do beat Miss State, Auburn and win the SEC if we'll even be in. I know that's a bit alarmist, but you have to admit this Big 10 love is tied to Michigan State losing on the road to Oregon -- which makes no sense at all. How can your signature win be a loss???

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I can see "Kirk Hierbsteit's Bracketology" starting up next year for College Football on ESPN!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.