JessN: MSU preview: For perhaps the first time ever, Bama is the hunter, not the hunted

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Last edited by a moderator:

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Glad to finally read this! Great job. But I would probably give MSU the edge in receivers and possibly DL. We have the super star in Coop, but all of their receivers are a threat to catch the ball whenever they are on the field. Gonna be a tough game. Last week I wasn't worried about this game at all, but the closer we get to it, the more I realize that MSU is every bit their #1 ranking. I'll be in the stadium enjoying a monster of a game!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think I agree with this, no questions at all... I would give the edge of QB to Alabama though.. because it's at home and Dan hasn't exactly played well on the road.. but great job Jess!

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Awesome job Jess. Dak's rushing success is quite remarkable and should be very high on our radar on every play.

Win, baby, win!!!!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
thanks, jess. agree, and would add that the same big question is stopping the dual qb, especially, one as good as Prescott. he adds a dimension that is so hard for defenses to contain. we either have score a lot, or keep containment.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The key issue is for Alabama to figure out how to stop what is essentially a dual-running-back offensive attack. Dak Prescott is so dangerous as a runner, Alabama has to treat him like a tailback – a tailback who just happens to be able to throw the ball 60 yards. Emptying the middle of the field, like Alabama did on multiple occasions against LSU, will not work here. Prescott is more than capable of making Alabama pay for it, and the Bulldog running backs are good enough to make Alabama pay if Prescott hands off.
Did Alabama really expect Jennings to run that much? Those weren't designed runs like Prescott will have. Plus, the defensive unit against LSU isn't the same Bama will use against State because of the different schemes.

Once Bama adjusted to Jennings' running, he didn't do anything. I would expect more zone like we saw in the fourth quarter compared to the man we saw in the first three.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Did Alabama really expect Jennings to run that much? Those weren't designed runs like Prescott will have. Plus, the defensive unit against LSU isn't the same Bama will use against State because of the different schemes.

Once Bama adjusted to Jennings' running, he didn't do anything. I would expect more zone like we saw in the fourth quarter compared to the man we saw in the first three.
Spot on in my opinion. Play some zone, keep your eyes forward, hold Prescott in the pocket and see if he can read it. Better yet, be superbly efficient on offense and keep Dak and company on the sideline.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

My guess is Ragland will spy on Dak much like Ro & Hightower did with Tebow.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The key, for me, is the offensive line. If we can run it and keep Blake upright, we'll score way more than we need.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Sound tackling will be huge. The MSU offense, particularly in their run game, likes to create space and one on one opportunities. Missed tackles will really hurt against this team. If the crimson defense is flying to the ball and gang tackling time and again it'll be a beautiful sight to see.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.