Link: Navy Seal Who Inspired "Lone Survivor" to Meet with the Team Today

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Books are almost always better than movies but in this case Marcus had a lot to do with the movie. I heard an interview with him and someone who knows him well and Marcus wouldn't allow anything in the movie that he thought glorified himself. I haven't read the book yet but I plan on doing it soon. Marcus is a class act and he deserves anything good that happens to him.
Yah, I saw it opening weekend - the movie is gritty, but doesn't cover nearly the detail the book does (for obvious reasons).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A great movie by the way but I don't understand why they just let the goat herders go. That decision right there cost 19 American lives. They seemed to be under the impression they had to either 1) kill them right then and there, 2) tie them up (which would result in death because of starvation?), or 3) let them go. They chose option 3 and all those people died. Why not option 4: make them march half-way to the extraction point THEN let them go. By the time they would have gotten back to the village AND brought the Taliban back to the Americans they would have been long evacuated.
Well its easy to monday morning quarterback, but you also have to remember at that time Abu graid happened before that so America servicemen had a big black eye for that incident . Its really hard tell enemy from civilan over there as well. If you really want to see what its like without actually going over there, and not having a story Hollywooded up, then check out a movie called "The Hornet's Nest". It will bring you to tears.
Im glad that they actually picked an American hero instead of the normal celebrities they pick. I dont even care if he doesnt pick bama.

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
Had the honor of meeting Marcus Luttrell at a book signing here in Pensacola shortly after the book came out. I happened to be reading it at the time he passed through so it was very fresh in my mind. I can say that the thing that stood out to me the most was the fact that this man stood up from his chair every time someone stuck their hand out for a shake as he was signing. There must have been 20 people ahead of me and he stood up for each one. If you've read the book or have seen the movie then you know the trauma his body took during that fight. Now he was healed & walking by this point, but it was quite humbling to see.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
From his website

"I will never quit. My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down i will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.”

I hope our guys have some of this tomorrow.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
He's an American hero, but I don't see how he fits as an Alabama guest picker. He's a Texan from my understanding.
Luttrell was in town tonight with his "patriot tour", so this was part of the connection I'm sure. Incidently, a tuscaloosa native and UA grad, Chad Fleming, is also part of the tour and a friend of Luttrell 's.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/artic...-speak-as-part-of-sold-out-Patriot-Tournament -

I don't recall( or care) what Katy Perry's connection to ole sis was, but I'll take this picker any day over something like that.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Wow seriously??!! This is awesome. No offense to Katey and the other celebrity pickers but I'd love to see more of this -- even if it's your everyday active duty serviceman. Roll Tide Roll!!! Semper Fi!!!
I do mean offense to other celebrity pickers. This is what they should do every week with the guest picker.

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
Absolutely read the book and soon. It gives so much more detail on his desire to be a Seal, the training they endure and the face he spent a lot more than a day or so in that little village. The movie, like most movies fabricates at least a little bit, in spite of Marcus being involved. He is indeed a Texan and proud of it as I recall, met President Bush and continues on his facebook page and speaking tour to honor and remember those who gave their all for us.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Marcus is an excellent choice for picker as well as someone to have speak to the team. As others have said, if you haven't read the book, then you simply must. If you have the opportunity to see his Patriot Tour, you should do everything you can to attend. I personally will always have a soft spot in my heart for Marcus because a friend of mine died on the helicopter that was shot down trying to save him and his three teammates. I know Jeff died doing what he loved with his brother SEALs, and I know Marcus would gladly have changed places with any of them - that's just the kind of men they are. Anyway, strong choice for "celebrity" picker. More people need to know who Marcus is, what he endured, and the type of men our country sends to do the things 99.9% of the rest of us would never be able to do.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I would also like to point out that Chad Flemming was there as well. He is from Tuscaloosa and is one of the Rangers who went to rescue Luttrell.

Last edited:

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Absolutely read the book and soon. It gives so much more detail on his desire to be a Seal, the training they endure and the face he spent a lot more than a day or so in that little village. The movie, like most movies fabricates at least a little bit, in spite of Marcus being involved. He is indeed a Texan and proud of it as I recall, met President Bush and continues on his facebook page and speaking tour to honor and remember those who gave their all for us.
I didn't like the movie all that much, but will read the book. Does he talk about how they roll down the hills in detail in the book? That was amazing to me when I saw it in the movie.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I am glad he was the speaker for our team and guest picker. Great choice.

He was talking about him meeting with the team....and he said he saw a fire in our players eyes. :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I didn't like the movie all that much, but will read the book. Does he talk about how they roll down the hills in detail in the book? That was amazing to me when I saw it in the movie.
I was very disappointed in the movie.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yeah, read the book. Hemingway said that the way to have a movie made out of your book was to go to the Nevada state line, throw your book over, have them throw the money back to you, and never look back.

Glad he spoke to the team. If they got the message, it may help a lot today. Loved the way the people at Gameday chanted USA. Far more interested in how he describes today's weather than anything Katy (sp?) may say in her whole life.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.