Miss State Defense ???

T-boy

BamaNation Citizen
May 1, 2010
Was looking up who MSU has played and came to UAB. They beat UAB by less than 2 touchdowns and UAB had 548 total yards of offense. It appears we should be able to move the ball.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I didn't watch the game. Was anyone injured or suspended on D that would have made it more respectable. Florida's defense was supposed to shut us down, until it didn't. Had we not shot ourselves in the foot that game we'd have two 59-0 games at home in the SEC this year. I know this isn't the MSU of old but they haven't looked great down the stretch. I think we win this one by 2 touchdowns or more.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
UAB had touchdown passes of 88, 81, and 75 yards. State's coverage wasn't great. Seemed bland, so UAB WRs got open.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How many times does it have to be said that what happens in one game has practically no impact on another game. Louisiana Tech scored 57 point on A&M in 2012. We played A&M and lost and scored what, 20 points? MSU will in all likelihood play their best game of the year against us. I would be surprised if we have over 500 yards of total offense..

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think they overlooked UAB and got burnt of course, but you can expect they'll play better against us but also Blake should play better at home as well. I expect a Florida type of game out of Blake. He claims he plays better on the road but I just don't see it. If he can connect with Coop it will be a LONG day for MSU.

I think they overlooked UAB and got burnt of course, but you can expect they'll play better against us but also Blake should play better at home as well. I expect a Florida type of game out of Blake. He claims he plays better on the road but I just don't see it. If he can connect with Coop it will be a LONG day for MSU.
Agreed! OJ has stepped it up too.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So you are saying that MSU's defense is better than ours or about the same since they held Arkansas to 10 when we allowed 13, they shutout USM and we didnt, but LSU and aTm scored more on them than they did on us???
You cant assume team A is better than team C just because Team C gave up more to Team B than Team A did, or how they struggled with Team D. If that was true then we shouldve whipped Auburn bad last year because of both team's games against LSU.
The two things in our favor against the moos are that we have a great passing game and the game is at BDS. I really doubt we get much over 150 on the ground because MSU's front seven is really good. Their weakness is our weakness also, but we have a better secondary than they do.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
So you are saying that MSU's defense is better than ours or about the same since they held Arkansas to 10 when we allowed 13, they shutout USM and we didnt, but LSU and aTm scored more on them than they did on us???
You cant assume team A is better than team C just because Team C gave up more to Team B than Team A did, or how they struggled with Team D. If that was true then we shouldve whipped Auburn bad last year because of both team's games against LSU.
The two things in our favor against the moos are that we have a great passing game and the game is at BDS. I really doubt we get much over 150 on the ground because MSU's front seven is really good. Their weakness is our weakness also, but we have a better secondary than they do.
I believe MSU will have their best day of the year on defense tomorrow. Look for a tight game. It doesn't make any difference how they played against UAB. Look how we played against arky. If we start fumbling and making dumb penalties, I look for a long afternoon. At times we are our own worse enemy. Hopefully we come out snot-slinging -mad. (Every time I say that, we win) I just want Bama to come out playing smart football like I know they are capable of. ROLL TIDE

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Here's how good our offense will be in my opinion.
On my fan duel college fantasy team tomorrow four of the seven players in my lineup are...
QB-Blake Sims
RB-Derrick Henry
WR-Amari Cooper
TE-O.J. Howard

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'm more of the opinion that neither team will have their best day. I expect this game to be similar to the LSU game last week. Both teams will be tight and make mistakes and not play up to their potential. I think it will be a tough, physical game, that will be decided by a few big plays and a couple of critical mistakes. I don't think there's a huge difference in talent. But I do think that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot we'll win.

OTOH, if Blake and Coop get hot we might torch their secondary. Who knows? I'm just glad the game is in T-town and not Starkville. We're a much better team at home for some reason.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm more of the opinion that neither team will have their best day. I expect this game to be similar to the LSU game last week. Both teams will be tight and make mistakes and not play up to their potential. I think it will be a tough, physical game, that will be decided by a few big plays and a couple of critical mistakes. I don't think there's a huge difference in talent. But I do think that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot we'll win.

OTOH, if Blake and Coop get hot we might torch their secondary. Who knows? I'm just glad the game is in T-town and not Starkville. We're a much better team at home for some reason.
Very simple as to why we're better at home. When the other team has the ball they can't here themselves think our crowd is so loud.
When we have the ball the crowd quietens down before the snap...so it's easier for Kiffin to communicate with Blake, and for Blake to communicate with the other offensive players.
At least that's my opinion.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
It's anyone's guess what happens but I look for a couple of quick scores by us early in the game. LK will have found something most likely. When they get behind we can control the game. If we play the entire game...

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I will say that Amari vs. the CBs is the biggest mismatch of this game. That match up should be the biggest mismatch in pretty much all of our games, but the two defenses with the best DBs each held him to fewer than 100 yards and a combined 1 TD. The only other defense that held him to fewer than 130 yards is Arkansas (can't explain that one).

I see a huge day for Cooper taking advantage of their defense. They've given up at least 100 yards to a WR in every SEC game except Texas A&M. But, A&M still had 365 passing yards and 4 TDs (and 3 INTs) - probably in part because they got behind early. And when Cooper makes some big catches, our RBs should take advantage.

Honestly, I was more worried about LSU than MSU. I think we give up points, but win comfortably.

bamaabw

Suspended
Dec 9, 2013
How many times does it have to be said that what happens in one game has practically no impact on another game. Louisiana Tech scored 57 point on A&M in 2012. We played A&M and lost and scored what 20 points? MSU will in all likelihood play their best game of the year against us. I would be surprised if we have over 500 yards of total offense..

Tell that to the college football playoff committee...

Bama Baseball 1

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2007
Duncanville, AL
I saw on AL.com where their coaches are saying they will not use double coverage on Cooper. They said they play everybody with single coverage. If they try to use single coverage on Cooper, I look for him to have a big day. I have not seen anyone that can handle him in single coverage.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I saw on AL.com where their coaches are saying they will not use double coverage on Cooper. They said they play everybody with single coverage. If they try to use single coverage on Cooper, I look for him to have a big day. I have not seen anyone that can handle him in single coverage.
If Vernon "No one knows how to pronounce my last name properly" Hargreaves can't cover him 1 on 1, no one can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They are not stupid. They have a plan, and I doubt that they will put anyone on an island alone with Cooper. They may run man with safety help over the top.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
They are not stupid. They have a plan, and I doubt that they will put anyone on an island alone with Cooper. They may run man with safety help over the top.
This is what I would do, but they sure pressure the guy on the other side of the field, not to mention losing a safety in close run support.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.