The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly MSU style

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Good: Beating a talented top-ranked team, Blake's performance, play of the D
Bad: Getting too laxed after halftime, cant do that and expect to win all the time. We have to dedicate ourselves to 60 minutes of gameplay from here on out.
Ugly: Griffin being inconsistent ... seems to be the theme with a lot of kickers this season though. Good thing is, he can improve on it.

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif
good: Sims and the defense

Bad: Our horrible 3rd qtr play in almost all of our games we haven't been very good in the 3rd qtr

Ugly: not to much place kicking may fall in this

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I certainly am no fan of Kiffy, but I have never heard anyone say they wanted Nuss back. McElwain would be welcomed back in a heartbeat, though.
Mcelwain also had far more talent than kiffin does currently. His best years were 10 and 11 and we had the best rbs, the best oline, and the best defense in the nation that year. Also we had AJ/gmac,hanks, and Norwood to add to our skill. Aside from amari,white, and possibly Cam i don't see anyone on our current offense starting on those teams on offense. A lot of the anti kiffin bama fans don't like the fact that we aren't a run happy team anymore, but the problem is we don't have a great offensive line and our best running back is our qb. Don't get me wrong yeldon and Henry are great rbs but they just aren't on the same level as Eddie, Ingram, and tr that we use to. The funny thing is that it's not out of reach for kiffins offense to pass mcelwains with lesser talent. Idk I like em both but I think people are being a little too critical on kiffin and that was the point in my original post.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Mcelwain also had far more talent than kiffin does currently. His best years were 10 and 11 and we had the best rbs, the best oline, and the best defense in the nation that year. Also we had AJ/gmac,hanks, and Norwood to add to our skill. Aside from amari,white, and possibly Cam i don't see anyone on our current offense starting on those teams on offense. A lot of the anti kiffin bama fans don't like the fact that we aren't a run happy team anymore, but the problem is we don't have a great offensive line and our best running back is our qb. Don't get me wrong yeldon and Henry are great rbs but they just aren't on the same level as Eddie, Ingram, and tr that we use to. The funny thing is that it's not out of reach for kiffins offense to pass mcelwains with lesser talent. Idk I like em both but I think people are being a little too critical on kiffin and that was the point in my original post.
I'm neither pro nor anti-Kiffin. My opinion of him has been like a yo-yo and eerily mirrors our offensive efficiency. He does throw too often in some situations. It was clear last night that we were going to have to simply out-physical State in the 4th quarter by running the ball. Kiffin stubbornly stuck with the passing game and an athletic QB running for 2 first downs bailed him out.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Bama passed the ball 31 times and ran the ball 32 times.
Yes they did, but just like last week there were a couple of drives in the third quarter where we did exactly what I stated and failed to get a first down or melt any clock. Which means, of course, that those drives were useless in any way. Thanks for the numbers lesson, though. I hope you are correct and our offensive inconsistencies do not cause us to lose a game. Personally, I think we are not playing to potential offensively because we can't maintain drives due to getting too cute in the passing game and not controlling the line of scrimmage. It's just my opinion, though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm neither pro nor anti-Kiffin. My opinion of him has been like a yo-yo and eerily mirrors our offensive efficiency. He does throw too often in some situations. It was clear last night that we were going to have to simply out-physical State in the 4th quarter by running the ball. Kiffin stubbornly stuck with the passing game and an athletic QB running for 2 first downs bailed him out.
Statistically it looks like we had success running it on MSU and we would be capable of doing it, but outside of MSU being afraid of cooper early in the game, Blake sims running due to coverage, or the defense being out of position we just couldn't run on them. We had third and shorts that we tried to run that got stuffed for losses and when we tried to ice the game we had no push. Our best runner is Blake, but we can't risk giving sec defenses free shots because how important he is. I'll say kiffin should've ran more against lsu, but I really can't blame him in that regard for this game. MSU's front seven is as good as advertised against the run so we had to pass and for the most time it worked.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Quite a few times, the called play was great but the WR dropped it. Against LSU, the same happened but either Blake missed him or he dropped it.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
The Good: Pre-game "Dixieland Delight", team effort, post-game "Rammer Jammer", getting to go to the game and avoid listening to Laverne and Shirley try to call it on CBS.

The Bad: Offensive series to end the 3rd quarter where we somehow managed to 3 and out without taking hardly any time off the clock

The Ugly: Nothing is ever truly "ugly" about a win, especially this one.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Statistically it looks like we had success running it on MSU and we would be capable of doing it, but outside of MSU being afraid of cooper early in the game, Blake sims running due to coverage, or the defense being out of position we just couldn't run on them. We had third and shorts that we tried to run that got stuffed for losses and when we tried to ice the game we had no push. Our best runner is Blake, but we can't risk giving sec defenses free shots because how important he is. I'll say kiffin should've ran more against lsu, but I really can't blame him in that regard for this game. MSU's front seven is as good as advertised against the run so we had to pass and for the most time it worked.
I still think we give up on the interior run game too soon at times. We are a little too enamored with the off tackle stretch plays in short yardage sometimes, when a good inside zone play would do the trick.

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
Have to give props to JK Scott what an absolute stud at punter. DJ Pettway has done a really good job of taking on blocks and maintaining position to allow others to make tackles. Cyrus Jones deserves all the props in the world. He has developed into a really good corner and took a lot of flack last year.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Good:
Punting, intestinal fortitude of the whole team.
Bad:
3rd quarter sleepwalking, at least offensively; receivers have got to catch the dang ball. FG misses.
Ugly:
I'm not sure there was anything "ugly" about this game, at least from Bama's performance. Still a work in progress, but man oh man how far they have come. It's great to be a Tide fan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.