Question: What are the Chances for a BAMA-USM Rematch?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think we ought to flog anybody who says, "This committee was set up to make sure...." of anything - because NONE OF YOU KNOW THIS!!!!
Somebody tinkle in your cornflakes this morning?
Why do you think the committee was set up?
And the hypocrisy on this board is hilarious. For a year now a bunch of you have been whining about "they're gonna make sure two SEC teams don't get in" - and now you're whining because a second MIGHT get in and "we shouldn't have to play them again."

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS AND BE CONSISTENT FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!
If I had to pick Bama's opponents, I'd rather not have to face MSU again, but I still think Bama's beat them again in the playoff.
I'm tickled pink at the thought of playing the likes of TCU, Baylor, the Criminoles and Arizona State in the playoff. That would just make National Championship #16 that much easier.
If I were to rank the top four right now, I'd say:
1. Bama
2. Miss State
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State (since the Criminoles pulled out another one, I guess I'd have to put them in at number 4; you can't exclude the only P5 undefeated team. Sorry, Buckeyes.)
Those would be the four toughest opponents to play. I just don't think the committee will allow two teams from one conference, especially not the SEC, in the four playoff teams, not when one Power 5 Conference champ is already going to get left out (two conference champs will get left out if two teams from one conference get into the final four). That is my opinion. This is an opinion board. If you do not like it, avert your eyes, sir.
Or go post on a Barner board. Geez!!!!
Make me.

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I think we ought to flog anybody who says, "This committee was set up to make sure...." of anything - because NONE OF YOU KNOW THIS!!!!

And the hypocrisy on this board is hilarious. For a year now a bunch of you have been whining about "they're gonna make sure two SEC teams don't get in" - and now you're whining because a second MIGHT get in and "we shouldn't have to play them again."

Unless you're referring to a single poster on both accounts, this post is a snarky fail with attitude. These 'you people' posts are worse than their opinions could ever possibly be.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I think I've held this position since the announcement of the committee, thank you very much. So, flog away. At this point, I think Miss State should be at #4 and FSU tossed out. I want the four best teams at the end but I have not seen any evidence that that's a possibility with this bunch.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
My position on the multiple SEC teams is, and always has been, that there would never be more than two, and that would be very rare, and that they would always be seeded 1-4 or 2-3 so as to eliminate one in the first round because we would NEVER EVER again have an all SEC NCG. That is why there is a committee and a CFP. The perfect scenario for having two has just occurred in this the first year of the CFP and I predicted it this week.

I posted this on another board on Thursday:

ALA2262

I will give you this on my scenario (close, controversial win). It just might be the only way that the SEC would get two teams. Remember in 2011 how the media thought LSU was going to lose at Bama and all of the rematch talk was positive before the game because they wanted to leave open the possibility of LSU getting a rematch? Of course as soon as the game was over all of the rematch talk went negative because they sure didn't want Bama to get a rematch. A close Bama win over MSU could start an immediate positive rematch discourse.

It(close Bama win) would move Oregon to #1 and they would be in line to play the 4 seed in the Rose Bowl. The committee would move Bama up to #2 and drop MSU to #3 putting them in line to play again in the Sugar Bowl. If Bama moved to #1, all they would have to do is drop MSU to #4. All Bama and MSU would need to do is win out. The committee would take care of the rematch in the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Assume both win out and MSU gets one of the 4 spots, I could see the committee "choosing" a rematch playoff game over the possibility of an all SEC championship game. Either way, the possibility of a rematch seems pretty strong to me. Thoughts?

Sorry - USM - Meant Mittippi Tate
If we both win out, I think the possibility is great.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
No chance. There are no BCS formulae in place anymore, and human judgment won't allow two teams from the same division of the same conference to square off in the Gang of Four, especially after one has already beaten the other. Last night was an elimination game. Either we go forward or Mrs. State does. It won't be both.

Someone else will take their place.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Nightmare scenario -
Bama wins out, loses to dawgs. MSU beats OM.
So, are you going to say the dawgs go but MSU can't? With only one loss?
That's insane - but how could they leave out the SECCG winner?
So many possibilities, and only a few make sense - depending on what happens the next 3 weeks.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No chance. There are no BCS formulae in place anymore, and human judgment won't allow two teams from the same division of the same conference to square off in the Gang of Four, especially after one has already beaten the other. Last night was an elimination game. Either we go forward or Mrs. State does. It won't be both.

Someone else will take their place.
Watch out. You'll end up on the list of Tidefans posters to be flogged or banished to Barndom.
Just bustin' your chops, Selma. You know I love you like a brother.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.