Muschamp ... "resigns"

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Re: Muschamp Fired

Yes the Marshall Coach would be a good hire so would the guy from Ohio taht was at Nebraska?

Whoever they get if they don't let them run the program they will just be the same.

Spurrier & Meyer hired all coaches period. Will has always been one OC away from putting it together, they have talent.

Galen Hall
Charlie Pell
yes even Ron. Zook

Were very good coaches micromanaged by alumni & admins. Alabama went thru some of that.

Whoever takes it better get a huge contract & most importantly CONTROL!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Don't know if Muschamp resurfaces at auburn, but even Gus can figure out that Ellis Johnson needs to look for employment elsewhere. This is going to be a big hire for UF they cannot afford to get it wrong again.
no way Muschamp takes that job. He's too smart and not near desperate enough. Don't know the details but I am sure he is walking away from Gainesville with a well stuffed bank account.

The AU DC job is a career killer. Ellis Johnson is a good DC, he looks bad at AU because, Gus's baby Offense get's priority, dibs on all talent and that O that get's on and off the field lightning quick puts extreme pressure on a Defense. Honestly what EJ has been able to do there has been remarkable considering the circumstances. Firing Ellis Johnson will start a massive chain reaction of DC's rotating through the plains. Going to be fun to watch.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I think he well be at TAMU as DC.

That is a popular opinion, but that really doesn't help his career. . I think he collects his 4 mil, maybe does ESPN, then takes a HC job at a lower school. that's what I would do. He has proven himself as a DC. He needs to prove himself as a HC.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Jim McElwain at UF anyone? CSU is 9-1 and #23 in coaches poll.

I actually think Michigan makes a run at him. Seriously.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Jim McElwain at UF anyone? CSU is 9-1 and #23 in coaches poll.

I actually think Michigan makes a run at him. Seriously.
I like Jim, but I think he is a West Coast guy and UF will be looking for someone more established.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Hiring a new coach, whether he has HC experience or not, is always a crapshoot.

Experienced HCs, even ones that have been successful at other spots, sometimes fail...Franchione and Price come to mind. Surprisingly often, inexperienced HCs succeed.

In the AP Top 25, here are the first time head coaches:
1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Oregon
5. TCU
6. Baylor
9. Auburn (unless you count one year at Arkansas State as "HC experience")
11. Nebraska
13. Kansas State (yes, Snyder's been there a long time, but it's his first and only HC job)
16. Georgia (again, Richt's been there a long time, but it's his first HC job)
18. Clemson
23. Colorado State
25. Utah

So depending on how you count Malzahn at Auburn, either 11 or 12 of the Top 25 are first time head coaches. Most surprising to me is that four of the top five teams have first time HCs.

It's unquestionably hard to predict future coaching performance. Guys that you have every reason to believe will be successful, still fail. Guys whose records would give no indication of successful prospects, nevertheless succeed -- Gene Stallings was a twice-failed HC, and unemployed when he came to Alabama.

But as much as you hear that this school or that isn't the place for OTJT, evidence would indicate that HC experience isn't all that great a predictor.

I don't envy ADs faced with a hiring decision. In their shoes, however, I'd value success in a repeatable system / process over HC experience. If I could get both, so much the better, but to me, the process trumps experience.

Which means that if I were Foley, I'd look long and close at Kirby Smart.

I fully realize that, given Muschamp's failure, the emotions of the fan base might not allow hiring an assistant. If that's the case, I'd try to mend fences with Mullen. Given the losses the MSU team will experience after this season, I think he'd be wise to cash in on his personal stock, which won't realistically be this high for a long time.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I like Jim, but I think he is a West Coast guy and UF will be looking for someone more established.

His buyout is 7.5 million, ouch! I know he is northwest kinda guy, CSU is more to his upbringing than typical west coast. I think he will get the itch at some point and his coaching is more of an SEC/ Big Ten than PAC12/ BIG12. His teams are strong defensively and they run the ball. Sound familiar?

Crimsissippi

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 11, 2014
Oxford or Ocean Springs, MS

I think Florida goes after a head coach and not a coordinator again. The one that makes the most sense to me right now is Art Briles from Baylor. Generally when this happens you go for the opposite of what failed. Florida had a lot of complaints about Muschamps style (run the ball and defense) even when they were winning in that first season and had a birth in the Sugar Bowl. They had problems selling tickets and such because the people of Florida didn't like that style of play, they wanted a high octane offense to go with the speedy playmaking type players that come out of the state. So I think Briles would make sense with the offense he runs at Baylor. But don't be surprised if they go for the "home run" hire and a big name.

I also think Dan Mullen is just hiding his hand and putting on a front. What would you do if you were in the midst of playoff contention and people started asking you about taking another job? Deny, deny, deny. That is the definition of clutter. But Mississippi State is not the job that Florida is. Dan is still in the Florida coaching hunt, despite what he may "say" right now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.