Muschamp ... "resigns"

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Re: Muschamp Fired

I count everything out here "West Coast"!

His buyout is 7.5 million, ouch! I know he is northwest kinda guy, CSU is more to his upbringing than typical west coast. I think he will get the itch at some point and his coaching is more of an SEC/ Big Ten than PAC12/ BIG12. His teams are strong defensively and they run the ball. Sound familiar?

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
If mcelwaine can recruit in the sec he will do good at any school he goes to. If you can't recruit good in Florida,,you can't recruit.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm really sorry things didn't work out for Coach Muschamp. He's a fine person and a class act all the way.

I don't know why a coach cannot get it right - it doesn't seem all that hard to me - but I'm just a fan so what do I know.

Mind boggling and losing really sucks so we'll see what happens.

Lot of support for Bob Stoops - and he has some credentials too, as posted by someone on our forum:

• 8 conference championships
  • 1 national championship
  • 5 national coach of the year honors
  • 9 BCS bowls (he's the ONLY coach to win EVERY BCS game)
  • 80% winning percentage (Spurrier's winning % at UF was 81%)
  • Coached 4 Heisman winners
  • Hired the likes of Mangino, Sumlin, Leach as OCs
  • In 16 years he's only lost SEVEN games at home.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Little Willie might want to go back to Tejas as HC in Waiting II for when Fluoride hires Charlie Strong...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'm really sorry things didn't work out for Coach Muschamp. He's a fine person and a class act all the way.

I don't know why a coach cannot get it right - it doesn't seem all that hard to me - but I'm just a fan so what do I know.

Mind boggling and losing really sucks so we'll see what happens.

Lot of support for Bob Stoops - and he has some credentials too, as posted by someone on our forum:

• 8 conference championships
  • 1 national championship
  • 5 national coach of the year honors
  • 9 BCS bowls (he's the ONLY coach to win EVERY BCS game)
  • 80% winning percentage (Spurrier's winning % at UF was 81%)
  • Coached 4 Heisman winners
  • Hired the likes of Mangino, Sumlin, Leach as OCs
  • In 16 years he's only lost SEVEN games at home.

Stoops may not be the long shot some here think it is. There was the article just this week about how stale things in Norman have become. Maybe Bob needed new scenery, a new challenge.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Stoops may not be the long shot some here think it is. There was the article just this week about how stale things in Norman have become. Maybe Bob needed new scenery, a new challenge.
And beat the crap out of his brother every year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't know an inside information on how the little things are done at Fla but it seems to me CWM's biggest problem is hiring the wrong OC for his team.
Which one?

All three of them he hired were considered great OCs before they landed in Gainesville - either they forgot how to coach as soon as the plane landed or CWM didn't let them do their thing.

I suspect it's the latter rather than the former...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I hope all of you who are advocating the hiring of Kirby Smart as Coach Saban's replacement are watching VERY closely.

The SEC does NOT allow you to get "on the job training" when you've never been a head coach anywhere at the collegiate level. Mark Richt is an exception. Go look at all the disasters in the SEC lately:

Mike DuBose
Mike Shula
Ron Zook
Sylvester Croom
Will Muschamp
Lane Kiffin
Ed Orgeron
Gene Chizik (his title was a bought fluke)

You can go to a place like Miss State or Vanderbilt (Mullen and James Franklin) and get your feet wet and THEN take the big name SEC job. But you don't START at the top of the mountain without experience.

I'm just telling you - learn from what you're watching and how it will affect us.
Kiffin actually did a very good job at Tennessee, and considering the sanctions at USC, he didn't do too badly there as well. I think he's done a great job for us too.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

I would not be supprised if lane kiffin gets interviewed for the gator job.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Which one?

All three of them he hired were considered great OCs before they landed in Gainesville - either they forgot how to coach as soon as the plane landed or CWM didn't let them do their thing.

I suspect it's the latter rather than the former...
I agree. That's kinda what I mean. The right one for HIS team.
Either he did a bad job of evaluating them or he won't let them do what they do.
The fact he's had three different OC's in four years says he doing something wrong.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Bob Stoops could be on the table, I dunno. I do know that he made it clear he wasn't married to OU when Bama was looking for a new HC...
I have heard Michigan could be interested in Bob Stoops as well. There might be a bidding war for his services. He will definitely be making more money next year no matter what happens.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

no way Muschamp takes that job. He's too smart and not near desperate enough. Don't know the details but I am sure he is walking away from Gainesville with a well stuffed bank account.

The AU DC job is a career killer. Ellis Johnson is a good DC, he looks bad at AU because, Gus's baby Offense get's priority, dibs on all talent and that O that get's on and off the field lightning quick puts extreme pressure on a Defense. Honestly what EJ has been able to do there has been remarkable considering the circumstances. Firing Ellis Johnson will start a massive chain reaction of DC's rotating through the plains. Going to be fun to watch.
V

Very good post. AU's problems on defense are at least partially a product of that gimmick offense. Their offense tends to leave the defense on bad positions and tires them out with very little time between series to rest. I don't think Boom is bad coach, but he had a quarterback who apparently fooled the coaches into thinking he was Tebow2. He could be successful in the right situation. Big time schools should not hire coordinators as head coaches. It has been proven time and again that they can't handle all the stuff outside football that come with running a big time program. The media, the fans, booster who think because they give money they can have direct input and access to the coach are all part of the problem. We had trouble figuring that out as well for a while.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Agree with the suggestion of Butch Jones. I really like what he's doing at UT.

I'd also be surprised if Stoops left OU. Could happen, I guess, and if I were Foley, I'd at least gauge interest. But it would surprise me.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Please correct me if I am wrong but I heard that Stoops OU contract agrees to have him the highest paid coach in CFB by $1? If so why ever leave?
Do you think big flop Bob is making $7M and $1?

I think Muschamp might end up as South Carolina DC......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.