Muschamp ... "resigns"

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Florida hires Tubberville. Tubberville hires Cheezenip as D.C. Then hires Tator Tot as O.C. The barn would be paying three coaches to come and beat them every time they play.:smile:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Re: Muschamp Fired

If I was looking for a head coach, I'd call all the A-list coaches. And, like usual, they will probably all say no. Stoops may be a possibility here, and if he says yes, that's a home run hire.
But, if all the A-listers say no, my first call may very well be to McElwain. Colorado State was a 3-win/year program when he arrived. In year 2 he won 8 games and in year 3, he looks to finish 11-1. He has SEC experience. He's coached under some very good coaches. He's not a home run hire for a major program like Florida. But, he could very well be the best coach on the market - he has a pretty high ceiling but is not a huge risk, relatively.

Doc Holliday has Florida ties and could be an option, but honestly, I'm more impressed with McElwain's resume than Holliday's.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If I was looking for a head coach, I'd call all the A-list coaches. And, like usual, they will probably all say no. Stoops may be a possibility here, and if he says yes, that's a home run hire.
But, if all the A-listers say no, my first call may very well be to McElwain. Colorado State was a 3-win/year program when he arrived. In year 2 he won 8 games and in year 3, he looks to finish 11-1. He has SEC experience. He's coached under some very good coaches. He's not a home run hire for a major program like Florida. But, he could very well be the best coach on the market - he has a pretty high ceiling but is not a huge risk, relatively.

Doc Holliday has Florida ties and could be an option, but honestly, I'm more impressed with McElwain's resume than Holliday's.
Well the best they have a shot of getting would be Mullen, Gundy, shaw, briles,and harbaugh. So if all 5 of them say no then you have to go to the B listers like mcelwain, petrino, and rich rod . Out of those mcelwain would be the hottest choice right now without baggage or failing at a big time program.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I suspect his name will be linked to all job opening, and If I was the coach, I would sit back and wait to see what else is opening up. Florida is a good job, but He's going to want the same control that he had at CSU.
Funny, his name is already popping up on the major sites regarding this hire.

Coach McElwain is going to be a great hire for a major school at some point.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Coach McElwain isn't a B list...He's going to be on top of every AD's lists for almost all job opening. I think Mullen or Ole Miss coach will take that job.
Well the best they have a shot of getting would be Mullen, Gundy, shaw, briles,and harbaugh. So if all 5 of them say no then you have to go to the B listers like mcelwain, petrino, and rich rod . Out of those mcelwain would be the hottest choice right now without baggage or failing at a big time program.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I can actually see Florida going after Stoops & Stoops seriously considering taking the job..Seems to me Stoops leaving The Sooners would be the best move for him & for the school as well..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm going to guess.. this is purely speculation at this point.

Miss state, Ole Miss, Florida, Mich St, Colorado State, Nebraska, OKL university and Duke will have a job openings in December. This will be interesting. This could be the year we'll see Smart, Muschamp, Chizek, and several NFL coaches getting hired.

So, we'll see at least five splash hires this upcoming off season.

WE WILL NOT SEE Kiffin leaving just yet. He's not ready just yet. He has to learn how to balance his playcalling, and learning office management stuff. He'll be hot commodity next year... with Saban's blessing.

Next year, there will be lot of more people on hot seat.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Miss state, Ole Miss, Florida, Mich St, Colorado State, Nebraska, OKL university and Duke will have a job openings in December. This will be interesting. This could be the year we'll see Smart, Muschamp, Chizek, and several NFL coaches getting hired.

WE WILL NOT SEE Kiffin leaving just yet. He's not ready just yet. He has to learn how to balance his playcalling, and learning office management stuff. He'll be hot commodity next year... with Saban's blessing.

...where are those EIGHT coaches going to....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Coach McElwain isn't a B list...He's going to be on top of every AD's lists for almost all job opening. I think Mullen or Ole Miss coach will take that job.
When I say b list I'm not talking about coaching ability I'm talking about the order programs will most likely go after. Mullen and Gundy are the most likely coaches they go after first because they will be banking on mullens ties to uf and the known conflict between Gundy and OSU fan base and board. I think they will go for plan b if the major targets say no, and that's the only way I see mcelwain gets the uf job. I think with a few years mcelwain will be in a better job than csu

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don't think Florida wants Butch Jones but I doubt he would leave now if they did want him. The Vols think they are on the cusp of turning it around and their savior is qb Josh Dobbs. UT fans are very high on the upcoming recruiting class combined with their young team and Butch Jones is the head cheerleader.

Just for the humor of it, I hope Muschamp takes the DC job at Nebraska so we can see him and Bo Pelini get in a shouting match.

On a more serious note, if CKS were to leave, I'd expect CNS to call Muschamp. And while Coach McElwain would be a good hire for Florida, I don't see it happening.

I'm always sorry to see a coach get fired in the middle of the season. It's not the right thing to do for the school, the team, or the coach. It was a total fluke the way Florida lost yesterday.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Of the 8 jobs you posted being open, 1 is already open...of the other 7, I just don't see it. Freeze leaving OM? Cutcliffe leaving Duke? Dantonio leaving MSU? Those perplex me. Perhaps Stoops leaves, and Pellini finally gets the boot...maybe Mullen even entertains getting out while the getting is good (doubt it for some reason), but I'm not sure what you're thinking.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The UF fan base is fractured. Gundy is a polarizing force, being both a loudmouth and a whiner. He may want out of Stillwater, and T. Boone may want him gone. But Gundy's personality may make that idea difficult to sell to a school that needs a uniter.

I don't know who they might go after. But Jeremy Foley is nobody's fool. In his shoes, I'd see Mullen, Freeze, and Bob Stoops as the primary targets. David Shaw and Kirby Smart as second choices, and a Gordian knot if all that fails.

I'm also sure he's been trolling back channels for some time now, and already has several names he thinks will take the job if offered -- some of whom we're familiar with, and some not.

If I had to guess, I'd say was at least 75% sure of who the next coach will be when he notified Muschamp that he wouldn't be retained.

Last edited:

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
I think he ends up at FSU...Charles Kelly is a nice guy but is not getting the job done. Jimbo and Mushhead are big buddies so it could work out well. His D would dominate the ACC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.