Muschamp ... "resigns"

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Just watch... Note I said this is speculation.. I already knew of one job that is open, but I'm saying.. Mullen, Cutliffe, Stoop will be based on how the season goes so far. Mullen lose lot of senior after this year, and I"m not sure if he's down for rebuilding season again. Freeze... He can do so much with Ole Miss budget.. Florida or other school with bigger budget, and he can do some damage. Dantonio.. I dont think he'll leave, but he'll entertain offers.
Of the 8 jobs you posted being open, 1 is already open...of the other 7, I just don't see it. Freeze leaving OM? Cutcliffe leaving Duke? Dantonio leaving MSU? Those perplex me. Perhaps Stoops leaves, and Pellini finally gets the boot...maybe Mullen even entertains getting out while the getting is good (doubt it for some reason), but I'm not sure what you're thinking.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I predict Bob Stoops to Florida. Foley will bang that drum one last time and this time, I bet Stoops takes him up on it.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Anyone know if Rita is sick of Tuscon, and if she likes the beach? I bet ol' Rich Rod would rather have UF's facilities, budget, and recruiting base. Don't count him out.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Freeze is very overrated imo. He will be back in high school before he is coaching at UF.
Flurhda can have Mullen....that guy is way overrated, right now would be his time to jump though as his success has been keeping his players for 5 years....I think Foley knows that too.

Mr. Freeze is not on anybody's wish list either in my opinion. Plus he loves Ole Pizz so much he cried for them on tv.

I doubt Dantonio is going anywhere unless Mother Superior leaves Cockville, and Mama calls and begs. Ol Ball sack's already trying to make a deal with Muschump to come on board as his DC, if he dont retire.

Geez, who would want Gundy? Okie Light dont even want him.

Foley is not going after Kirby, he is after a proven head coach this time. Somebody might though.

Cutbait has it made at Puke, why would he leave for more pressure, his heart cant take it.

Will big flop Bob take the Fluhrda job and have to compete against his brother? Apparently he hated coaching against him when Mark was a DC at FSU. SO would he enjoy recruiting against and playing him every year? Who knows.

Its going to be a crazy coaching hiring season I guess. But hey Slack Brown, Butchy Davis, Gina Cheezedip, and Jon Monday Night Football are available.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I don't know who they might go after. But Jeremy Foley is nobody's fool. In his shoes, I'd see Mullen, Freeze, and Bob Stoops as the primary targets. David Shaw and Kirby Smart as second choices, and a Gordian knot if all that fails.
Florida/Foley have already say that Mullen won't be part of the coaching search, so cross him out. Quite frankly, I think UF can do better than Mullen and Freeze. Those two are "names" simply because they are a coach in the SEC. Neither are not game changers and Florida needs a game changer. So I agree with those that Bob Stoops should be Foley first call.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I hope all of you who are advocating the hiring of Kirby Smart as Coach Saban's replacement are watching VERY closely.

The SEC does NOT allow you to get "on the job training" when you've never been a head coach anywhere at the collegiate level. Mark Richt is an exception. Go look at all the disasters in the SEC lately:

Mike DuBose
Mike Shula
Ron Zook
Sylvester Croom
Will Muschamp
Lane Kiffin
Ed Orgeron
Gene Chizik (his title was a bought fluke)

You can go to a place like Miss State or Vanderbilt (Mullen and James Franklin) and get your feet wet and THEN take the big name SEC job. But you don't START at the top of the mountain without experience.

I'm just telling you - learn from what you're watching and how it will affect us.
You may well be right, and no doubt any top tier program is a tough place to be a first-time head coach. Still, there is one key difference between most of the examples you listed above and a hypothetical Alabama head coach Kirby Smart: first-time head coaches brought in from the outside to rescue a struggling program, versus one ascending from within an established, successful program and system. It is not a small distinction.

In business, research (especially Jim Collins’ in “Good To Great”) has shown that companies whose CEOs are recruited from outside tend to underperform their similarly-situated peers whose CEOs are homegrown. This is a massive simplification of volumes of work, but you get the point. An outside hire with a good track record is no guarantee of success either. Exhibit A: Rich Rod.

So why do we so rarely see the successful "corporate" succession in college football? I'd hypothesize two factors: very few programs have a "process" in place the way we do with CNS; very few head coaches and ADs understand its importance.

I'm not saying CKS is the right guy to be the next head coach - I have no way to know that. I do know that we have a system that's the best in college football, and assuming it's still that way when CNS leaves, about the worst thing you could do is bring in someone whose first move would be to change it to his own.

Last edited:

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Freeze can recruit; meaning better than most of his competitors. Ole Miss plays hard. He has shown a propensity to make jaw dropping bad decisions in some big games, but I don't get the dismissal of Freeze; they had a legitimate contender this year. When has Ole Miss been this good? 50 years? They are having another good recruiting year. He may not go anywhere, but he is not the worse choice for any school needing a coach.
Freeze is very overrated imo. He will be back in high school before he is coaching at UF.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
I hate it for Muschamp but that is the way it goes. I've always liked him from afar and feel like his is genuinely a good guy regardless of his anger expressed during games ha. Florida was just a big time job that he was not quite ready for. I really don't feel like anyone would have had much success there following Meyer, a lot of house cleaning needed to be done to get some of his recruits out of there.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Anyone know if Rita is sick of Tuscon, and if she likes the beach? I bet ol' Rich Rod would rather have UF's facilities, budget, and recruiting base. Don't count him out.
I agree, Rich Rod is a proven HC, not a Michigan man, but successful at both WVU and Zona. His brand of offense would be a change of pace for UF and IMO really help recruiting in state. He is more likely to jump ship rather than Stoops.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I don't think that UF has any interest in any coaches that are seen as quirky or unstable. That pretty much eliminates Rich Rod and Gundy.

When UF is clicking, they are the flagship program in the state of Florida and they can also recruit nationally among the best. Like when Miami gets rolling, UF has the ability to recruit and overwhelm other teams with talent.

I see UF going after a pro-style coach or one in the Jim Tressel mode.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I agree, Rich Rod is a proven HC, not a Michigan man, but successful at both WVU and Zona. His brand of offense would be a change of pace for UF and IMO really help recruiting in state. He is more likely to jump ship rather than Stoops.
I do not see it happening, but Rich Rod would be a solid here, even if not the proverbial home run. Obviously his tenure in Ann Arbor was a disaster, but hindsight 20/20 it's clear that he wasn't the problem at Michigan. Don't believe he's much of a recruiter, but Florida recruits itself, so that's not a real concern, and his offense would do very well with all of the skill talent he would attract to Gainesville. Defense would be the concern, obviously, but the truth of the matter is that's a secondary concern for most SEC East teams these days anyway.

Do wonder how interested Rich Rod would be in that job, though. Arizona is a middling program, but at the same time also a comfortable job. Decent infrastructure, he's making a lot of money, and the fan base there has no real expectations for big-time success. Florida has far, far more potential, of course, but in terms of pressure that would be jumping from the pool lounger to the frying pan.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Hate it for Muschamp, he seems like a solid dude, but I think it has been pretty obvious for a while now that he wasn't ready. Offensive play and design was always subpar, even with the constant revolving door at OC, and I think his temper was a real liability. You like to see the fire in a coach, but at some point it can do far more harm than good. I've said it before and I'll reiterate here, but yelling and screaming and bursting blood vessels in your face just doesn't really do anything. That's just not an effective coaching strategy.

Will say, though, he's the best defensive coach in the league right now, and that includes Saban, Smart, Pruitt, and Chavis. If Kirby goes somewhere this offseason, I would love to see him in Tuscaloosa and back under Saban's tutelage. Doubt it happens, but would love it nonetheless. If I'm Auburn, A&M, Tennessee, or South Carolina, I'm doing whatever I can to land this guy.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
First name that comes to my mind is Charlie Strong. Maybe that's just me wanting to see what that would do to all my Texas friends who insisted they were going to hire Saban.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Geez, who would want Gundy? Okie Light dont even want him.

Will big flop Bob take the Fluhrda job and have to compete against his brother? .
Bob stoops ain't leaving ou, and I really think people are reaching by even putting his name out there. Uf would have a better chance of spurrier returning than bob stoops.

As for Gundy, you do realize that he is probably one of the most successful coach in OSU history, and that is an accomplishment when you factor that Jimmie Johnson and les miles were head coaches at okie. Gundy is hated by okie because he interviewed for the Tennessee job. Gundy and Mullen will probably be foley's first two choices.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Gundy is hated by okie because he interviewed for the Tennessee job.
That's not quite the full extent of it. Gundy is not particularly liked by Oklahoma State people because (1) he's a pretty brash personality, (2) there have been a lot of off-field issues generating bad publicity for the school and the program, and (3) he has tried to leverage just about every national opening in recent years to get a few more bucks for himself.

Gundy has been pretty successful in Stillwater, but personally if that's the hire that Florida ends up with, I'll be highly underwhelmed. He hasn't exactly been lighting it up in recent years, despite being in a pretty weak conference. After his high water mark in 2011, Okie State has been 8-5, 10-3, and now 5-5. That doesn't exactly scream "promotion" to an an elite CFB job in the game's toughest conference.

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
As for Gundy, you do realize that he is probably one of the most successful coach in OSU history, and that is an accomplishment when you factor that Jimmie Johnson and les miles were head coaches at okie.
That's only because Johnson and Miles were recognized to be elite coaches and were lured away to better programs. No top tier programs have made any serious runs at Gundy and for good reason.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.