Muschamp ... "resigns"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sure if they would consider him, but Riley at Oregon State would be a great hire at Florida.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: Mullen: It's hard to believe how toxic Urban Meyer has become in Gainesville with all of the success he had there. That really speaks volumes to the off-field issues that they had and the sordid state that he left the program in, even if he left it with a bunch of highly-billed recruits.

Guess Dan is going to have to go all in for the Michigan job...

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
What about Petrino?
IF and I am talking about a big IF, Petrino could conform and stick to football and hire an outstanding DC he could make things rough on the rest of the SEC. Just not sure Foley is the kind of AD to hire a HC on conditions that he behave and not bring bad publicity on UF. Probably not.

As for Mike Riley, even though he played for Coach Bryant he has become a left coast guy, plus he is probably 61 or 62 no spring chicken.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Not sure if they would consider him, but Riley at Oregon State would be a great hire at Florida.
Do you think that Jim Tressel could be a candidate? I know that he has said that he doesn't ever want to coach again and likes being a college counselor, but I wonder if he would still like to chance to go out of coaching under better circumstances.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Do you think that Jim Tressel could be a candidate? I know that he has said that he doesn't ever want to coach again and likes being a college counselor, but I wonder if he would still like to chance to go out of coaching under better circumstances.
He still has 2 years remaining on his show cause, so I don't see this happening. Also, he is now the President of Youngstown State University, where he is loved. A high paying job with no pressure.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I actually have a very favorable impression of Dan Mullen's coaching ability. He's taken MSU much farther than Jackie Sherrill ever did, without all the sordid stuff that went along with CJS. I don't see him as a candidate for UF, though - bad blood and whatnot. Freeze is heavily rumored to be a dirty recruiter, and far too openly for a high-profile program like UF.

I really don't see RR, Stoops, or Gundy either, though, and the list starts getting interesting beyond this point. CJM looks better and better as more names are eliminated; you have to think he at least gets considered and interviewed.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
This is a for what it's worth post. After reading the article today about Muschamp, I don't feel bad for him at all. A five star recruit was on campus for the game and Willie ignored him. I don't care how mad you may be, talk to the young man. You don't have to recruit him, just tell him to make a decision that is best for him. To ignore him is classless.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Mullen isn't well liked in Gainsville. I don't see it.

Foley needs to hit a home run. I hope Chip Kelly is happy being in the NFL and would never ever consider going to uf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
In business, research (especially Jim Collins’ in “Good To Great”) has shown that companies whose CEOs are recruited from outside tend to underperform their similarly-situated peers whose CEOs are homegrown. This is a massive simplification of volumes of work, but you get the point. An outside hire with a good track record is no guarantee of success either. Exhibit A: Rich Rod.

So why do we so rarely see the successful "corporate" succession in college football? I'd hypothesize two factors: very few programs have a "process" in place the way we do with CNS; very few head coaches and ADs understand its importance.
Successful corporations don't have lots of turnover, at the top. UF has been through too many "changes at the top" to have a successful chain of succession.

Mullen is not going back. Freeze isn't leaving. Stoops is not leaving for there. (Even though he thinks the SEC is soft. He wants no part of it.)

OK, RR is out, supposedly. (Rats...........it would make a great sideshow, for a few years, and more turmoil at the top.) Gundy.......may want a career upgrade, but he knows the SEC is above his pay grade. (Even though he is a man.) Strong isn't leaving UTw, after only one year.

This will be interesting: finding a successful, established coach, who isn't afraid of playing a SEC schedule. Sure, great recruiting base, and desirable place to be. Except for that schedule. Bet a lot of job hoppers aren't up to the challenge.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Re: Muschamp Fired

on the plane back from dubai i sat next to a gator fan and we talked about muschamp for a while. he hates him, but was thinking that they would keep him and he was actually hoping that they lost all their remaining games so that muschamp would get the boot

That was the general consensus of the entire gator nation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.