Muschamp ... "resigns"

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Press conference just ended.

I'm blown away by how well it was handled. By Will and Jeremy especially. Never felt this bad while losing a coach. GREAT guy and will be an asset wherever he lands.

Was asked how he was able to clean up the program - he replied 'it goes back to recruiting the right kids - the type of kids you want to represent your program.'

Jeremy said no coaches have yet been contacted about the position no matter what the rumors are. Said he will not disrupt any program during the season out of respect.

I'm so proud of our school right now - we may not have the wins but we have integrity - and that's not a bad consolation prize.

Starts at the 4 minute mark - Jeremy at 7 minute mark - Will at the 9 minute mark.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
...In business, research (especially Jim Collins’ in “Good To Great”) has shown that companies whose CEOs are recruited from outside tend to underperform their similarly-situated peers whose CEOs are homegrown. This is a massive simplification of volumes of work, but you get the point. An outside hire with a good track record is no guarantee of success either. Exhibit A: Rich Rod.

So why do we so rarely see the successful "corporate" succession in college football? I'd hypothesize two factors: very few programs have a "process" in place the way we do with CNS; very few head coaches and ADs understand its importance....

I'm not saying CKS is the right guy to be the next head coach - I have no way to know that. I do know that we have a system that's the best in college football, and assuming it's still that way when CNS leaves, about the worst thing you could do is bring in someone whose first move would be to change it to his own.
I think you're right. One of the reasons CEOs recruited from outside tend to underperform homegrown CEOs is that companies that are healthy are much more likely to hire from within. So, outside CEOs are more likely to be entering a bad situation from the start. Another reason is that outside CEOs are more likely to feel the need to "reinvent the wheel" to put their stamp on the new power structure. Even when the company they take over is healthy.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm having a tough time thinking of any head coach who I would pick from the college ranks. Someone mentioned Petrino. I think he needs to
stay where he is. Louisville gave him a second chance and he needs to just stay there!

Colorado State's coach may be a good hire. Someone mentioned Gundy at Oky State. He sure is having a tough season: 3-7.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Ole Miss' coach would leave Ole Miss.

Is there an NFL coach who's wanting to get away from his current team? Either Harbaugh from the Ravens or Harbaugh from the 49ers?

There is just not a shining STAR on the horizon that I can think of currently. Is there a rising star as a head coach in FCS?

Florida needs someone who Knows How to Handle a situation like this. Coach Superior is just toooooooooo OLD to even think
about it!

I would like to be a fly on the wall in Foley's office. I'm not sure that I could even recommend a coach other than Colorado State's
coach. I hope Foley had several in mind when he lowered the guillotine on Muschamp.

If the Philadelphia Eagles coach wants to go back to college, he could be a good one to hire.

Mr. AD Foley, I'm just drawing a blank. I don't think Strong would leave Texas. Looks like he's beginning to turn things around.
Coach Sumlin? I don't think so! He also could be a good hire with all that talent in the state of Florida and he would not have to
compete with Coach Strong for Texas talent.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
After watching the press conference, it is really difficult not to like or feel for Will Muschamp. He handle that presser with a lot of poise and class. I wish nothing but the best for him where ever he may go...except if he is across the sideline from Bama. ;)

Last edited:

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
They keep bringing up Malzhan's name on the SEC Network. As great as Kiffin to USC was, Gus bolting for another school in the conference would be infinitely better.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
They keep bringing up Malzhan's name on the SEC Network. As great as Kiffin to USC was, Gus bolting for another school in the conference would be infinitely better.
Gus Malzhan might be someone to consider. First, he would be moving to a recruit rich state and would likely become king of the hill in the SEC East. As successful as he has been in the West, moving to the East would make it much easier to reach the SECCG every year. With that said, I would not discount Charlie Strong, Butch Jones, or even Freeze. I would also think Mullins could be very successful in Gainesville, but for some reason, he must have burned some bridges when he left. Also, Mullins is coaching a team heavily loaded with players that will not be around for him next year, so expect a heavy drop off in performance next year. As an example, look at James Franklin leaving Vanderbilt at the perfect time when the team was out performing. If Franklin had remained at Vandy for a couple more years, I think his success would have taken a serious hit. Franklin's move came at the right time. Not so sure about Bob Stoops as I think that might turn out to be a bust.
With respect to coordinators without head coaching experience, we are all fortunate that some schools take that chance. Otherwise, there would be no fresh blood in the coaching ranks.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Jim McElwain has Colo St. winning. UF is looking for an offensive-minded coach.

Butch Davis won big at Miami & can recruit the state well.
Butch has a ton of baggage. He's a talking head now for one of the networks (ESPN, I think). I've seen him on a couple of the shows talking about the playoff commitee's rankings. He doesn't come across as particularly likeable. Not that that's a deal-breaker for a coach.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Ironically, I was in the Swamp Saturday for the UF-USC game. exiled, jr. & I met my brother & his son (a UF grad) for a guys' weekend. Had a blast, despite UF's epic choke there at the end.

At any rate, the nephew said at lunch Sunday that he thinks they need to go after someone with something to prove. It'll be an interesting HC search to be sure. Already is, just one day in!

Meanwhile an Auburn friend of mine said UF should hire Ellis Johnson; a coordinator who already has experience as a HC in finishing off a program on the way down (USM). Made me chuckle. :)

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
NFL.com has an article up about potential candidates. Mack Brown is on it. It was at that point I thought, "I wasted two minutes reading an article from a writer who thought Mack
Brown could be a candidate."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Finally got a chance to see the pressers and I am very impressed with both Foley and Muschamp. I can't imagine something as painful as this being handled any better.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I don't see a lot of the Big Names jumping ship but their agents are loving this. The NFL is going to have a bunch of openings as usual so you may see some of the elite go to the next level.

I really do see Muschamp going to SC with the promise to take over when Steve retires.

Coach Mac is by far the Best choice for Florida but I think he will look to the West Coast, something in California, Washington, Oregon.maybe a few years though. Michigan will go after a former Bo man, is this the year Les does it?

A lot of Wills problems were the OC which Foley hired for him, whoever takes over is going to have to be big enough to RUN the program like Spurier & Meyer did. Crazy but Mike Leach has worked wonders at Was State but no way they turn the reins over to him.

God Bless him our AD Coach Moore knew who he wanted & like a pit bull stayed on it not taking no for an answer. Will will be a good coach for someone as long as he can run it rather than be a voice in the room.

I hope Kirby takes Mac's route & goes to a program needing help & makes his name, problem is Alabama pays more than most of these schools. I'm just amazed at how Great Kiffin has been for Alabama, does he go? I thought his ego would be an issue here but he checked it at the door. What he has done with Blake Sims is just remarkable. So some school will be looking for that.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I doubt UF looks at Kirby because he's a defensive guy. The axiom for an AD when hiring a new coach seems to be go opposite of the last coach. With Muschamp being a defensive guy. I'd be completely shocked if Foley went with another defensive guy (also consider their 2 best head coaches in recent history were offensive guys, spurrier and Meyer).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.