Muschamp ... "resigns"

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Re: Butch Davis: That's not even a name worth mentioning. Literally a waste of time and keystrokes.

Re: Bob Stoops: Had he wanted the Florida job, he would have taken it in 2001, 2004, and 2010. He's not leaving a cushy job at a program like Oklahoma to jump into the frying pan of the SEC.

Re: Mike Gundy: I bet he'd take the job, just don't know if Florida is willing to take him, though I tend to doubt it.

Re: Doc Holliday: If this is the hire for Florida, it will be just as underwhelming as the Dooley hire for Tennessee a few years back.
I agree with everything except Stoops. OU was at the top in 2001 and 2004, and were still close in 2010. Now, fans are a bit weary and the Big 12 has lost some luster which has hurt OU's recruiting. According to 24/7, OU hasn't finished in the top 10 in recruiting since 2010 (when Stoops turned UF down). If he went to Florida, he'd have a top 5 recruiting class every year. Muschamp pulled in two top 5 classes and another top 10 class during that same time frame.

I still don't actually think Stoops ends up at Florida, but I think this time is a bit different than the other times. I think he listens.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
As an X's and O's guy I think Gundy would be a great hire but not sure if he would fit culturally in Gainesville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
As an X's and O's guy I think Gundy would be a great hire but not sure if he would fit culturally in Gainesville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if he got the job, which I don't think he will, he would not make it to be a man at the age of 50. He would be gone before that.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Dabo Sweeny?
Hard to see the selling point there. Dabo has a strong track record relative to the feasible candidates likely available for Florida, but Dabo is mainly a recruiter, and why would a school that naturally recruits itself hire a recruiter? That's basically the mistake they made with Zook. He basically provides you no value with anything beyond what you already have. They should, instead, go for more of a natural developer of talent, scheme guru, etc., and Dabo is really none of those things.

Dabo's OC, Chad Morris, would actually make more sense in that regard, but Florida isn't again going down the road of the unexperienced coordinator after the flameout with Muschamp.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I agree with everything except Stoops. OU was at the top in 2001 and 2004, and were still close in 2010. Now, fans are a bit weary and the Big 12 has lost some luster which has hurt OU's recruiting. According to 24/7, OU hasn't finished in the top 10 in recruiting since 2010 (when Stoops turned UF down). If he went to Florida, he'd have a top 5 recruiting class every year. Muschamp pulled in two top 5 classes and another top 10 class during that same time frame.

I still don't actually think Stoops ends up at Florida, but I think this time is a bit different than the other times. I think he listens.
I don't think that argument holds up. OU fans have been weary of Stoops starting with his choke-job to Miles in 2001 and hitting full song after his debacles in the '03 Big 12 CG, the '03 BCSNCG and the '04 BCSNCG. If Stoops had real trepidation about any of that, he would have left Norman long ago.

Re: recruiting: Oklahoma never really had classes that were that highly ranked nationally, with an exception or two here or there, and most of the top classes over the past ten years have basically gone to SEC schools, USC, FSU, Texas, and Ohio State. In terms of rankings, OU is basically now where they have been all along, "good" classes that don't usually get elite billing, and which are usually pegged at around 10th or 15th nationally by most of the recruiting talking heads. Besides, while it's true he'd have better classes at Florida, the relevant peer group also changes dramatically. He can finish 10th in recruiting one year in the Big 12 and have the best class in the conference; he could take that same class in the SEC and finish sixth in the conference on Signing Day. Again, poolside lounger to the frying pan...

Last edited:

Go For 16

Jan 11, 2014
Heard from a good source today that Muschamp was taking next year off so that he could spend time with Urban Meyer's family.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think there are two names that warrant serous consideration for that job.

Gary Patterson - defensive minded coach who has shown ability to field explosive offense.

Al Golden - I think this guy can coach. I don't think he can be judged on what he has done at the U. He was sold a bill of goods there and it's a shuffle step from being a dumpster fire.

Outside of that I think Todd Graham would be a good fit too.

As much a like CJM I just don't he is ready for the SEC yet. Other than those mentioned no one really impresses on the college level.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I think there are two names that warrant serous consideration for that job.

Gary Patterson - defensive minded coach who has shown ability to field explosive offense.

Al Golden - I think this guy can coach. I don't think he can be judged on what he has done at the U. He was sold a bill of goods there and it's a shuffle step from being a dumpster fire.

Outside of that I think Todd Graham would be a good fit too.

As much a like CJM I just don't he is ready for the SEC yet. Other than those mentioned no one really impresses on the college level.
I'm with you on the first two, especially Patterson. I don't think he gets nearly the recognition he deserves. Todd Graham is a very good coach, but a world class flake and...this is a family forum, so I'll say jerk.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Not that it will happen, but Chip Kelly would be scary at Florida. He's a brilliant offensive mind and with Florida's talent... yikes.

BamaSam1

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2011
You heard it here first, Charlie Strong to Florida, thus opening the door for Nick Saban to take the Texas job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.