What I really hate about Gary Danielson

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: Why I really hate about Gary Danielson

Its great to be a Bama fan. We are 10 games into the season and 9-1, we just knock off the #1 team in the nation and no one ran onto the field to tear down the goal post. And the hottest thread on our board is how much do we love or hate a tv color analyst. Have a look at the university of aubarn, LSU or Florida boards they are in meltdown.

Thank god I was born with Crimson Blood. RTR
There's a University of Auburn? You must have bought one of those "State of Auburn" shirts they were selling. ;)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I like Danielson. He teaches me about the game. Sure, he criticizes, but they're fair criticisms, and I think he's an equal-opportunity criticizer. In other words, he's picky, but he's picky on everybody.

For those who are perturbed by his insistence on internal consistency and order, do you think Saban is any less so? On this point, Saban would make Danielson look like The Dude in Lebowski.

My point is that the insistence on attention to detail is the difference between a ring and a woulda-coulda-shoulda season.

Danielson is kind of like the battle-ax high school teacher who made college a breeze....No, the immediate interaction wasn't always comforting. But the end result sure was.

Danielson makes me think. I like of that. He's made me a better observer, and a better fan.

Verne is kind of like the slightly inebriated, but still lovable, uncle. No, he's no longer the technician he once was. And he has a casual relationship with player names. But I sense no team bias. Most importantly for me, I think he gets equally excited for a great defensive play as for an offensive one.

I'll seek these guys out, even if they're not doing an Alabama game.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

For starters - while I considering mocking Verne and Gary to be a guilty pleasure - I don't really have a major problem with them. Verne is that drunk old uncle we all had who sits there bemused by it all. Yeah, his references to Lou Saban and teams not playing in the game are a bit tiresome but overall his enthusiasm is great. Gary is a spot-on analyst for the most part. I agree that he sometimes seems to so want to drive a point home that he loses himself when the point gets contradicted but overall he's pretty good.

Two things I would point out that you have to remember:

1) Television is a visual medium that requires sound for effectiveness. So he talks too much - he has to. Ever watch TV when they do a story about a person who died and they put up a graphic right before commercial? They leave it there for maybe five seconds but the collective silence makes it seem like a couple of weeks. Danielson is doing his job with all the talking. Let's see any of us get on the air with the mandate to not shut up for 3-4 hours and see how many times we repeat ourselves. (Admittedly I wouldn't, but I'd be that clown that viewers complained about "he's always talking about what happened in this game 30 years ago, fire him!")

2) Gary's job is to keep the viewer watching. When the game starts to get out of hand, he MUST say things to try and keep the viewer interested or to entice the viewer to stay on the game if it starts becoming heavily one-sided; he has to at least suggest the team way behind can still come back and win. Some of you seem to think his mention of the 2010 Iron Bowl somehow is a favorite stick to hit Alabama with because he always seems to mention it when we're up 21-0 on some ranked foe. But he's only giving a point of reference for viewers thinking of tuning out. Viewers have far more options to tune out than they ever have, so his job is to try and get them to stay tuned to the broadcast. He's basically saying, "Hey, a comeback COULD happen, and here's an example of where it happened right here when we were at the game"."

I do think Blackledge is better, and he was better with Verne than Gary is. But also - Danielson is a BIG advocate of the SEC (his screeching probably helped Florida land the 2006 BCS title game to the the chagrin of Michigan fans everywhere) and Alabama. He's always talking about how the road to the SEC title goes through Tuscaloosa. He was praising the fans in 2012 and talking about how much life we suddenly had after K-State and Oregon went down and how distraught we were two weeks earlier when Manziel beat us. He even stuttered in trying to not say, "Auburn has no chance to win this game at all," which is what he clearly thought.

And btw - given the fact that EVERY fanbase in the SEC will tell you V/G hate them? That means they're as unbiased as is humanly possible and hated by all. They can't possibly be in favor of anyone if they seemingly hate everyone.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus

I understand your point. He knew far more football then me. That's why when he is a hater he can be very creative and sounds "right".

My point is he dislike Alabama football and tried to use his expertise to distract the audiences and ultimately scouts/players and coaches. That's I'd like to pay attention and that's what I don't like.
I think he is disingenuous, He says oh I think Bama will win. But really hoping they lose. Then when they start winning he all of a sudden changes his attitude, Everything is all of a sudden negative that BAMA does. SURLEY I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO NOTICE THIS.
Guys, really? This sounds like the barn college's paranoid hatred for the REC.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

His theme all year has been that everything in the SEC has to go through Bama. He capped that off last night by saying the same thing and that either Bama wins the SEC every year (or just about) or the team that beats Bama does.
I hate him because he is wrong about the SEC thing. Either Bama plays for a natty, or the team that beats them does.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

Overall, I agree with you. However, once he closes on a perception, it's like a steel trap. He will bring up incident after incident to try and go back to prove his point. I don't agree that he's given Blake his due at all. His commentary reflects his oft-expressed view that Blake is just adequate and has a barely adequate arm. It's not true, but he can't bring himself to admit it...
Confirmation bias is something everyone but me has to guard against...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

He's grown on me. Verne, meanwhile, is still halfway lost most of the time.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

He's grown on me. Verne, meanwhile, is still halfway lost most of the time.
Think "Bowling for Dollars", Dude................."Bowling for Dollars"............

(He was a bit more svelte, in those days, as well.)

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Yesterday he just kept repeating himself....I.e. State's hanging around like all 3rd quarter....
And was it a factual assessment? Just like when he said about Prescott's performance up to that time: "An inferior quarterback will not beat Alabama." Blunt and candid, and oh so factual. And "all roads to a national championship go through Tuscaloosa." Maybe it's obvious because you (or tu if it turns personal) already know all that as a 'Bama fan, but shouldn't matter because he's got a wider audience to address. Danielson's introspection is spot on 98% of the time. Why the haters? - he's practically speaking his script out of the Saban Silver Linings Playbook, for crying out loud...

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA

Sorry. He knows more football than you, me and this entire board will ever know. He lavished praise on Blake. He calls Cooper the best player in the college game. He said time after time " "you can't do it any better" after watching Cyrus and Eddie play press cover.

He doesn't hate Alabama. Nor does he fawn over us. Sometimes he is wrong -- it's live TV for crying out loud. But he's right so often that the game seems rigged.

This "they're all out to get us" stuff is exhausting. We're on TV every time you turn on the set. We are the bell cow of college football. People are paid to watch us and express their opinions. That 's how the world works.
You and I must be seeing a different game then the rest of the folks. I thought he gave us a lot of compliments.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

Danielson is paid to offer his commentary and opinions in a way that engages the audience and makes a connection with them. If CBS saw how many threads just on this board are devoted solely to Gary & Verne, they would be pleased with the results. Why? Because you can't trash what the man says unless you.....have....sat....there...and....listened. If we, as a group, truly felt they were irrelevant and undeserving of our attention then there would be zero threads about them.

Same for Kanell, Galloway, Finebaum, and every other media person who lives in a huge house and drives a sweet ride just for doing nothing but playing fans like a fiddle.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
Coach Saban said basically the same thing at half time interview during LSU game. He was criticizing the play calling mroe than anything else. WE tried to through the deep fade like ten times in the first hald and went 0 for

I hate him the most about how he tried to manipulate the mental thinking of QBs.

In the LSU game and the MSU game, he plotted two charts and claiming Sims does not have the deep ball throwing ability.
On Sims’ road performance, come on. Who won the game for us? Who led that championship drive like AJ did in 2012? Of course road game is hard, SEC road game is even harder. Everyone may suffer, that’s why there’s sth called home field advantage.

What I want to bring here is I hope our fans can understand that haters hate, and sometimes they are smart and they’ve been creative. If we buy their arguments, follow their logic. We may end up expecting Sims doing things not on the best interest of our team. (Remember what AJ did in the Suger Bowl, he proved he can throw deep, so what?).

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006

I've quit paying attention to him. He can't stand giving any credit to Blake at all. Blake zipped some throws into 1' windows on that last TD drive. No comment from Gary...
Blake's story is the type that needs to be celebrated. Coming out of ADAY, I was like, this is not going to work. I am always telling my kids what he did this year.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

He has forgotten more about football than I will ever know.
I have noticed that he is much more tolerable on radio than on TV. Not quite sure why that is. Something about the tenor of his voice.

I think he tries to be even-handed in his criticism, and that makes him seem negative to each fan base, since the criticism is usually, um, negative.

The one thing he does that truly aggravates me, though, is putting himself in place of the player. The 2009 SEC CG when Arenas intercepted Tebow, he was talking about how Tebow should have put more air under it, and on replay he said "Boom. Touchdown." The way he said it made it sound like that that is what he wanted to have happen. He was trying to say "here's what the QB should have done" but it doesn't come across that way.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM

I go round and round on GD. He strikes me as the Tim McCarver of college football. Really knows his stuff backwards and forwards and offers interesting insights into the X's and O's, but is grating when he talks too much or repeatedly forces an opinion into a game whether it fits or not. I don't find him as biased or irritating as I used to, but I can't get Eli and Co. out here in NM, so maybe I've built inner defenses.

I'll say this. He'll always have points from me for a great one-liner during the A&M game. When Vern pointed out a TAMU couple in the stands and described the custom of kissing after each Aggie score, Gary chimed in with, "You and I have a better chance of kissing in this one."

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

I go round and round on GD. He strikes me as the Tim McCarver of college football.
Please don't impugn Danielson or any other sentient being with such a comparison to that motormouth. His "autobiographer" is an unfortunate friend of mine and McCarver's never met a syllable that he couldn't pat himself on the back with, or utter an inanity just for the sake of making consonants meet vowels in the most grating way possible. Danielson knows the game and has to respond to its fast pace - he gets quips in there too between plays like the Theisman-Theesman jibe about Blake Sims' home and road tendencies that ol' Verne said he made with great subtlety. Know what I mean, Verne? Yeah, plenty of us did - and appreciated it. McCarver - if only some of the stitches on a baseball could have gone into the "betterment" of an oral orifice in his case, the world would've been spared a great loss of oxygen (and CO2 emissions)...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.