What I really hate about Gary Danielson

steej71

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 17, 2011
Re: Why I really hate about Gary Danielson

I haven't read this entire thread, so apologies if it's already been mentioned.

After the first interception, Gary said this of Dak Prescott: "Inferior quarterbacks don't have a chance against Alabama."

I just scratched my head.

But I honestly don't like Verne. Moreso after Yeldon fumbled the ball against LSU. Verne was so pleased: "He dropped it because he was in pain. Here is where Yeldon is wincing in pain. Teehee." Jerk.

Last edited:

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

Good point

Was at the game on Saturday and have not heard Gary Danielson's Miss St game commentary. However--I like his critical thinking and analysis. Gary Danielson amd Cecil Hurt are Paul Finebaum's two best guests; they do their research and are not going to be politically correct.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM

Now THAT is invective. I bow to your vituperative skill, sir, and now see the error of my ways. Won't happen again;)
Please don't impugn Danielson or any other sentient being with such a comparison to that motormouth. His "autobiographer" is an unfortunate friend of mine and McCarver's never met a syllable that he couldn't pat himself on the back with, or utter an inanity just for the sake of making consonants meet vowels in the most grating way possible. Danielson knows the game and has to respond to its fast pace - he gets quips in there too between plays like the Theisman-Theesman jibe about Blake Sims' home and road tendencies that ol' Verne said he made with great subtlety. Know what I mean, Verne? Yeah, plenty of us did - and appreciated it. McCarver - if only some of the stitches on a baseball could have gone into the "betterment" of an oral orifice in his case, the world would've been spared a great loss of oxygen (and CO2 emissions)...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Please don't impugn Danielson or any other sentient being with such a comparison to that motormouth. His "autobiographer" is an unfortunate friend of mine and McCarver's never met a syllable that he couldn't pat himself on the back with, or utter an inanity just for the sake of making consonants meet vowels in the most grating way possible. Danielson knows the game and has to respond to its fast pace - he gets quips in there too between plays like the Theisman-Theesman jibe about Blake Sims' home and road tendencies that ol' Verne said he made with great subtlety. Know what I mean, Verne? Yeah, plenty of us did - and appreciated it. McCarver - if only some of the stitches on a baseball could have gone into the "betterment" of an oral orifice in his case, the world would've been spared a great loss of oxygen (and CO2 emissions)...
I agree with you on McCarver. It got to the point that I absolutely couldn't listen to the guy call a game. He always explained the most basic concepts in the most condescending way possible in excruciating detail. Like he was the only person in the entire world who REALLY understood baseball. I was always expecting him to spend five minutes explaining to us ignorant masses why it was better for a batter to hit a home run than to strike out.

Last edited:

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014

Yesterday he just kept repeating himself....I.e. State's hanging around like all 3rd quarter.... Drove me nuts
Yes but you have to admit he was correct. Tell me your butt cheeks didn't tighten a bit when they closed to 19-13 after we let them 'hang around.'

P.S. Sorry for the visual...:D

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014

After the first interception, Gary said this of Dak Prescott: "Inferior quarterbacks don't have a chance against Alabama."

Actually if you go back and watch again I think it was "inferior quarterback play" vice inferior quarterbacks, I don't know, maybe he slipped up that one time. That "it takes a great quarterback to beat Bama" has been a theme of his for quite a while.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Actually if you go back and watch again I think it was "inferior quarterback play" vice inferior quarterbacks, I don't know, maybe he slipped up that one time. That "it takes a great quarterback to beat Bama" has been a theme of his for quite a while.
I know he made the comment about "inferior quarterback play" during the game at least once. I can't remember the exact time. I do believe it was after one of the interceptions.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I know he made the comment about "inferior quarterback play" during the game at least once. I can't remember the exact time. I do believe it was after one of the interceptions.
he busted on state a couple of times in the first quarter, basically saying, you've got to be better than this to be #1

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm going to reiterate my position, after this many pages. The only analysts I would prefer would be Herbstreit or Blackledge. Both of them don't have the personality which grates after a while. That said, I enjoy his analysis, with the sole exception of those few times when he's staked out a position contra an official's call, etc. and just won't let it go. Two quarters later, he's still trying to prove he was right. On a couple of those occasions, he's simply not understood the rules and had to apologize later on. The dead ball foul against Cody's not extending the game being one example. Of course, that being the last play, he couldn't rant on more than a couple of minutes. He certainly doesn't lack self-confidence... :)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

It's funny. I was at the gym this morning and every MSU fan was complaining that they nearly turned the sound off of the broadcast because of, "Danielson's obvious bias towards Alabama".
So I guess Gary ticks everybody off :)
I personally like him. I think he does a great job of noticing things most color guys don't.
sip

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I watched the game again today. Without the emotional worry tied to the moment in the live game, it became obvious that Gary was very supportive of both teams. He did a great job calling the game, IMO.

I didn't feel that way when the game was live. I was allowing my emotional state to impact my judgment. I wanted someone to tell me what I wanted to hear to ease my mind, and Gary does not do that (nor should he). If anything, both he and Verne seem to play to the emotions of the team playing best at any particular point in the game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I watched the game again today. Without the emotional worry tied to the moment in the live game, it became obvious that Gary was very supportive of both teams. He did a great job calling the game, IMO.

I didn't feel that way when the game was live. I was allowing my emotional state to impact my judgment. I wanted someone to tell me what I wanted to hear to ease my mind, and Gary does not do that (nor should he). If anything, both he and Verne seem to play to the emotions of the team playing best at any particular point in the game.
I'd agree with that. Especially Verne. He can take an emotional wave and turn it into a monsoon. Great gift. Speaks few words, lets the moment carry itself.
His call of Tiger Woods chip in at the Masters on 16 was one of the greatest calls ever IMO.
And the TD Blake ran against Florida where his play call was, "Sims, wow, wow WOW"..
That's just brilliant.
Most guys would go.."Sims on the option, he's to the 35-30-25-20-10-5-Touchdown!"
Verne realizes that we're seeing the action, so he doesn't do play by play as much as he just, "Observes", almost like being a fan, and stating what most fans would observe.
Makes him great in my opinion.
sip

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

Overall, I agree with you. However, once he closes on a perception, it's like a steel trap. He will bring up incident after incident to try and go back to prove his point. I don't agree that he's given Blake his due at all. His commentary reflects his oft-expressed view that Blake is just adequate and has a barely adequate arm. It's not true, but he can't bring himself to admit it...
I am not criticizing Blake he has done a good job for his first season,but his passes leave a little bit to be desired sometime time not all the time.Also he has made some great throws.Running between the tackles better would benefit him a lot.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

As far as Daniel son "Karate Kid" he goes both ways when he makes a mistake he admits it.Then sometimes he tries to cover it up. I like his game analogy.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

I am not criticizing Blake he has done a good job for his first season,but his passes leave a little bit to be desired sometime time not all the time.Also he has made some great throws.Running between the tackles better would benefit him a lot.
wrong thread?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

It's easier to be objective when you watch a replay.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I'd agree with that. Especially Verne. He can take an emotional wave and turn it into a monsoon. Great gift. Speaks few words, lets the moment carry itself.
His call of Tiger Woods chip in at the Masters on 16 was one of the greatest calls ever IMO.
And the TD Blake ran against Florida where his play call was, "Sims, wow, wow WOW"..
That's just brilliant.
Most guys would go.."Sims on the option, he's to the 35-30-25-20-10-5-Touchdown!"
Verne realizes that we're seeing the action, so he doesn't do play by play as much as he just, "Observes", almost like being a fan, and stating what most fans would observe.
Makes him great in my opinion.
sip
"Bowling for Dollars, Dude...............Bowling for Dollars............"

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia

I've quit paying attention to him. He can't stand giving any credit to Blake at all. Blake zipped some throws into 1' windows on that last TD drive. No comment from Gary...
I realized a few years ago not to place too much credence in what the so called "experts" say and predict. We all have prejudices that affect our perception of reality. The reality today is The Crimson Tide is No. 1 but three games remain to be played so we just need to take care of business.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.