What I really hate about Gary Danielson

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
Not those negative comments about Alabama, CNS or .....y about how we should've been caught for more PI, false start, holding, illegal emotion etc.

I hate him the most about how he tried to manipulate the mental thinking of QBs.

As a former QB himself; he knew how critical the confidence is to play in that role. He continues to bring the seems-right-actually-pretty-ridiculous arguments and use his commentators’ role to pressure and influence the audience/scouts and hope it could eventually affect the players playing style.

e.g.: Last year, he challenged AJ's arm strength. (Actually Todd McShameless also repeat the comments and got burned by AJ in the Kentucky game). This year, he continued to challenge Sims's deep ball ability and his performance on the road.

In the LSU game and the MSU game, he plotted two charts and claiming Sims does not have the deep ball throwing ability.

What's so wrong about these charts? Big Ben once said: Even every QB in NFL can drop a 50 yard bomb easily; QBs are not trained to throw that often. They've been trained to throw 5-10 yard one time and move the ball gradually and successfully. No QB can throw 20 yards or more consistently. If you plot manning’s chart in super bowl that would be miserable. Actually plot any QB’s chart it will be high dose of 5-10’s and occasionally 20’s. That chart is quite misleading.

On Sims’ road performance, come on. Who won the game for us? Who led that championship drive like AJ did in 2012? Of course road game is hard, SEC road game is even harder. Everyone may suffer, that’s why there’s sth called home field advantage.

What I want to bring here is I hope our fans can understand that haters hate, and sometimes they are smart and they’ve been creative. If we buy their arguments, follow their logic. We may end up expecting Sims doing things not on the best interest of our team. (Remember what AJ did in the Suger Bowl, he proved he can throw deep, so what?).

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Re: Why I really hate about Gary Danielson

I do not like how he can seemingly suck the life out of every play of each game through presumption and insinuation.
No nit too small to pick for Danielson.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I've quit paying attention to him. He can't stand giving any credit to Blake at all. Blake zipped some throws into 1' windows on that last TD drive. No comment from Gary...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

I like Danielson a lot. He calls it like he sees it, and since Bama isn't perfect, he sometimes points that out, which is his job. He has an awful lot more positive to say about Bama than negative. I think he's fair and usually, right in the vast majority of his comments and analysis.

Everyone has their own opinion, which is fine, of course.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

Good point. I don't recall any charts brought out for Tebow when he was at Florida. He just won games, whether it was with he jump balls or his feet and Vern and Gary lauded over him every broadcast

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Sorry. He knows more football than you, me and this entire board will ever know. He lavished praise on Blake. He calls Cooper the best player in the college game. He said time after time " "you can't do it any better" after watching Cyrus and Eddie play press cover.

He doesn't hate Alabama. Nor does he fawn over us. Sometimes he is wrong -- it's live TV for crying out loud. But he's right so often that the game seems rigged.

This "they're all out to get us" stuff is exhausting. We're on TV every time you turn on the set. We are the bell cow of college football. People are paid to watch us and express their opinions. That 's how the world works.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL

I just dislike that he refuses to shut up…ever. There is nothing wrong with allowing the people at home to here some of the sounds of the stadium or to hear the crowd. I know it is his job to provide analysis but the guy thinks that every second has to be filled with his voice. Put a sock in it.

Having said that, I normally listen to Eli and the gang if at all possible.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Sorry. He knows more football than you, me and this entire board will ever know. He lavished praise on Blake. He calls Cooper the best player in the college game. He said time after time " "you can't do it any better" after watching Cyrus and Eddie play press cover.

He doesn't hate Alabama. Nor does he fawn over us. Sometimes he is wrong -- it's live TV for crying out loud. But he's right so often that the game seems rigged.

This "they're all out to get us" stuff is exhausting. We're on TV every time you turn on the set. We are the bell cow of college football. People are paid to watch us and express their opinions. That 's how the world works.
Overall, I agree with you. However, once he closes on a perception, it's like a steel trap. He will bring up incident after incident to try and go back to prove his point. I don't agree that he's given Blake his due at all. His commentary reflects his oft-expressed view that Blake is just adequate and has a barely adequate arm. It's not true, but he can't bring himself to admit it...

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

I like Danielson a lot. He calls it like he sees it, and since Bama isn't perfect, he sometimes points that out, which is his job. He has an awful lot more positive to say about Bama than negative. I think he's fair and usually, right in the vast majority of his comments and analysis.

Everyone has their own opinion, which is fine, of course.
i really don't get the Danielson hate. it's been discussed on here ad nauseum. The OP mentions the deep pass chart from the LSU game. Well everything he presented there was accurate. What is he supposed to talk about? He is an analyst. It's his job. It was true. Hey, I was frustrated by the lack of deep passing, weren't you? The OP also mentions the chart in the MSU game. They DID show the chart again in the MSU game, but they did it to compliment Blake. Gary was giving him props. He even commented on how good it was that there were only four Xs on the chart.

Quit it thinking everyone is out to get us. Not everyone is.

Danny Kannell, yes. Tim Brando, perhaps. Gary Danielson, no.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

His theme all year has been that everything in the SEC has to go through Bama. He capped that off last night by saying the same thing and that either Bama wins the SEC every year (or just about) or the team that beats Bama does. That's pretty high praise and something he doesn't have to say or point out. Put a microphone in front of anyone for 3-4 hours 4 times a month and you could find fallacies and wrong statements by just about anybody.

I've said this (as others have) many times. When one team gets ahead its the job of the announcer to talk about what the other team (losing team) needs to do to keep viewers interested in the game. We are usually ahead in games so that leads to Gary talking about the other team and not just talking about how great Bama is and that the other team doesn't have a chance. It's his job to keep viewers engaged in the game and I think he does it well.

I'll ask the same thing Herbstreit asked Cowherd when Cowherd said he wasn't "buying" the SEC West. If you don't like Gary, who would you prefer and why?

Last edited:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

The two times he has bothered me is at the end of the LSU game and Cody's blocked kick at the end of the Tennessee game (especially). He just kept going on about Jennings being able to run for a first or pass interference in the end zone and glossing over what we did right. And he seemed to go on for a good ten minutes about Cody taking his helmet off. Really, who would want a team to lose a chance at a national title because a player made a great play and exuberantly took off his helmet thinking the game was over. It wasn't what the penalty was meant to address.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I like him. His chart during the LSU game was accurate. He didn't say Sims couldn't throw long, he simply showed that Sims was having zero success throwing over 10 yards (until 59 minutes into the game). He used the same chart Saturday showing how Sims was having success.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

He also heaped praise on Blake for The Drive.

I like it that the CBS contract means we get the same announcers for several games. They really get to know the team and can stretch themes from one game to the next - like when GD compared the lack of deep passing in the LSU game to the relative success in that area in the MSST game.

What I find interesting is that if you read other team's message boards (not that I would EVER do that :wink:), they think that GD is out to get their team too. I guess there is something about him that rubs some folks the wrong way.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Overall, I agree with you. However, once he closes on a perception, it's like a steel trap. He will bring up incident after incident to try and go back to prove his point. I don't agree that he's given Blake his due at all. His commentary reflects his oft-expressed view that Blake is just adequate and has a barely adequate arm. It's not true, but he can't bring himself to admit it...
Earle, he goes after themes, that's for sure. But he complimented Blake's throws on several occasions -- including OJ's drop on our first possession of the second half. As I recall, he called that a "big-time" throw and nearly "perfect." He praised him again, repeatedly, for his check down to TJ on the fourth quarter drive. And he said that Blake clearly outplayed Dak and was one of the key reasons we led at half.

Frankly, if we win out, I think Blake should be SEC player of the year. Danielson said Blake wasn't very good for most of the LSU game. Wonder what he would have said if we hadn't dropped so many passes? But for the most part I think he's been fair.

h2o

1st Team
Dec 31, 2006
Winfield, Alabama

I just wonder if he would be better without having to cover up for Verne? I would like to see him on an ESPN broadcast with Todd Blackledge(sp?) and Brad Nessler.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

i really don't get the Danielson hate. it's been discussed on here ad nauseum. The OP mentions the deep pass chart from the LSU game. Well everything he presented there was accurate. What is he supposed to talk about? He is an analyst. It's his job. It was true. Hey, I was frustrated by the lack of deep passing, weren't you? The OP also mentions the chart in the MSU game. They DID show the chart again in the MSU game, but they did it to compliment Blake. He was giving props to Blake. Gary even commented on how good it was that there were only four Xs on the chart.

Quit it thinking everyone is out to get us. Not everyone is.

Danny Kannell, yes. Tim Brando, perhaps. Gary Danielson, no.
Agreed. If you look around the SEC boards, EVERY team says the same thing about Danielson. He hates everybody's team the most according to them, and he loves anybody they are playing. Barners swear he loves us, and a lot of our swears he hates us. That usually means he calling it like he sees it.

Now I do agree that he can beat a point to death at times, but overall he is OK. I prefer Verne and Gary over anybody except maybe Blackledge and Nessler.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

He doesn't know more about football than everyone on this message board. You can say a lot about Danielson's analysis, but you can't say that.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I do not like how he can seemingly suck the life out of every play of each game through presumption and insinuation.
No nit too small to pick for Danielson.....
^^ This I do agree with. Gary is an over-analyzer. And at times he can ruin the play result. But, I have to admit I do like his insight into the QB position. When we're not doing so well, those are the times when I want to tell V&G to shut up... then I realize I am just annoyed because we're not doing well. Very little of that has to do with V&G.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

Devils advocate...he said on multiple occasions that Blake bailed out/saved Yeldon and Coop last week. He also mentioned that Bama is the best in the nation in multiple areas. Just saying y'all.....

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Agreed. If you look around the SEC boards, EVERY team says the same thing about Danielson. He hates everybody's team the most according to them, and he loves anybody they are playing. Barners swear he loves us, and a lot of our swears he hates us. That usually means he calling it like he sees it.
I had just edited my post above to say basically the same thing!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.