Facing the best ..... the Tide is better

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Every year, as regularly as the end of daylight saving time, the SEC seems to stage a high-stakes game like this that shakes the college football landscape. This game had especially deep implications for Mississippi State (9-1, 5-1): To continue the best season in its 115-year history, it would have to topple the sport’s modern dynasty, Alabama.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/16/s...-mississippi-state.html?ref=ncaafootball&_r=0

I really, really like reading this article.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Yes, the Tide is ... not "are." I don't care what the NY Times says, "Tide are" is wrong.

But a good article otherwise.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think MSU had a problem early on that got them in too deep a hole. Maybe it was the pressure, the nerves of not having played on that biggest stage on the road yet. Once they got it going they played a pretty good game. Then again - how much did LSU fatigue get us in the second half?

I do think MSU is one of the 4-5 best teams in the nation, though.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yes, the Tide is ... not "are." I don't care what the NY Times says, "Tide are" is wrong.

I agree with you, but it seems "they" have changed things again. It used to be "Washington is" and "Alabama is" but now it is "Washington are voting tomorrow". I mean "is" is are. Or is "are" is? They confuse me! Mostly I think these kind of people are educated beyond their intelligence.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I agree with you, but it seems "they" have changed things again. It used to be "Washington is" and "Alabama is" but now it is "Washington are voting tomorrow". I mean "is" is are. Or is "are" is? They confuse me! Mostly I think these kind of people are educated beyond their intelligence.
I is/are confused now. :)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think MSU had a problem early on that got them in too deep a hole. Maybe it was the pressure, the nerves of not having played on that biggest stage on the road yet. Once they got it going they played a pretty good game. Then again - how much did LSU fatigue get us in the second half?

I do think MSU is one of the 4-5 best teams in the nation, though.
They are good but I doubt they'd beat us in a rematch. Especially with 2 weeks or more to prepare.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Pie are not square. Pie are round.

But yeah, drives me crazy. Alabama is a singular entity and therefore is. The Tide is a single force and therefore is. A team is. The players are.

Now, if your team has a plural title like Bulldogs, then are is appropriate, but maybe I should start using is​ every chance I get just to drive others crazy along with me.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Pie are not square. Pie are round.

But yeah, drives me crazy. Alabama is a singular entity and therefore is. The Tide is a single force and therefore is. A team is. The players are.

Now, if your team has a plural title like Bulldogs, then are is appropriate, but maybe I should start using is​ every chance I get just to drive others crazy along with me.
Would anyone but an idiot say "High tide are tomorrow at 9:03 AM"?

The Tide is high, I'm holding on ...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.