Comcast Xfinity commercial during the Colts-Pats game - featuring Bama

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
LINK: Comcast Xfinity commercial during the Colts-Pats game - featuring Bama

Cool commercial from Xfinity just now. It features two guys watching a Bama game using the Xfinity system (which apparently makes watching a game feel just like skydiving). What was cool is that the entire commercial was centered around BAMA! Bama game on TV. The guys were wearing Bama gear, with Bama stuff on the walls. Even Big Al makes an appearance!

Life is good when you're a Bama fan. I guess it puts the whole Gary/Verne stuff into perspective.

EDIT: I just did a quick search and can't find the commercial posted anywhere. Here's a low-rent "record the TV with your phone" version. Sorry about the quality. It was the quickest way for me to make it available.

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Cool commercial from Xfinity just now. It features two guys watching a Bama game using the Xfinity system (which apparently makes watching a game feel just like skydiving). What was cool is that the entire commercial was centered around BAMA! Bama game on TV. The guys were wearing Bama gear, with Bama stuff on the walls. Even Big Al makes an appearance!

Life is good when you're a Bama fan. I guess it puts the whole Gary/Verne stuff into perspective.

EDIT: I just did a quick search and can't find the commercial posted anywhere. Here's a low-rent "record the TV with your phone" version. Sorry about the quality. It was the quickest way for me to make it available.
I don't have proof, but I would be surprised if this isn't targeted marketing. They may be doing it purely on location, but it's even possible it's based upon your viewing habits. IE your cable provider knows that you religiously watch Bama football, so they insert a Bama specific commercial.

Just to get some more data, are you an Xfinity customer?

Neat article from 2013 about cable companies figuring out how to do this. http://www.technologyreview.com/new...nline-ad-targeting-tactics-to-tv-commercials/

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I don't have proof, but I would be surprised if this isn't targeted marketing. They may be doing it purely on location, but it's even possible it's based upon your viewing habits. IE your cable provider knows that you religiously watch Bama football, so they insert a Bama specific commercial.

Neat article from 2013 about cable companies figuring out how to do this. http://www.technologyreview.com/new...nline-ad-targeting-tactics-to-tv-commercials/
Hadn't thought of that. No, however, DirecTV.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

That's pretty next,next generation . Unless they made commercials for every college , which would be expensive. I mean, big Al was flying through the air. I will buy maybe regional, but not individual tailored commercials.

They ad was pretty cool though

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
That's pretty next,next generation . Unless they made commercials for every college , which would be expensive. I mean, big Al was flying through the air. I will buy maybe regional, but not individual tailored commercials.
Well I wouldn't call that individually tailored. You could cover UA and AU in the state, and reach probably 70% of cfb fans, and if you missed it would still be better because you have a higher capture rate on your hits. Now maybe if they started having commercials that started off "Hey chanson78, we know you like Bama football and beer, how about a Bama themed kegerator?" THAT would be individualized :)

Directv is heavily invested in this so may make sense.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3507487

My evidence is primarily anecdotal. I see the Saban ford commercial all the time, I know there is an AU Gus ford commercial which I see rarely, even though I watch AU just to see how they look.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Re: LINK: Comcast Xfinity commercial during the Colts-Pats game - featuring Bama

Well I couldn't find any other commercials so maybe it's all just coincidence. Anyways yeah it's cool seeing Alabama football all over the place. :)

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I bet those commercials are national. We get them up here.
Would be interesting to do a survey. Like you obviously like Bama football so may fall into the subset slated to get it. It's probably my imagination going wild, and it's nice to get an additional data point. But if you know someone with your same cable service, in the same area, but definitely not a Bama fan, maybe ask them if they ever see that commercial.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Re: LINK: Comcast Xfinity commercial during the Colts-Pats game - featuring Bama

Well I couldn't find any other commercials so maybe it's all just coincidence. Anyways yeah it's cool seeing Alabama football all over the place. :)
Yep. This was my point in posting to begin with. :BigA:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I bet those commercials are national. We get them up here.
A national buy - on FOX's America's Game of the Week yesterday, which featured "America's Alabama Alumni Team" (TM pending), the Green Bay Packers, with Eddie Lacy and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and hopefully more Crimson Tide en route to ensure the winning ways continue.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Saw the same thing here in Colorado. Not sure if it was targeted in that way. But... if Tippi Tate had won, they'd have been showing a couple of Bulldog fans on that couch is my wager.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
My 3-4 week job assignment that took me to Detroit just before the season started still has me here. I have seen this commercial numerous times. During everything from primetime television to baseball and football games. It has a pretty heavy rotation up here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.