Mario Cristobal : how would you grade him?

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I think that perhaps some people are having trouble distinguishing between the O-Line's on-field performance and Coach Cristobal's efforts in attaining that level of performance.

With a bevy of experienced, NFL-level talent returning on an Offensive Line an OL coach could do a C- job of coaching and recruiting while the O-Line is getting A+ results on the field for a year or two.

With a lack of experienced, top-level talent returning on an Offensive Line an OL coach could do an A+ job of coaching and recruiting while the O-Line is getting C- results on the field for a year or two.

At this point, I would give our past and current OL coaches these ratings:

-- Pendry --
Recruiting: A-
Development: A+
Overall: A

-- Stoutland --
Recruiting: D
Development: A-
Overall: C+

-- Cristobal --
Recruiting: A+
Development: B+
Overall: A-

And Cristobal's Development rating has a chance to go up (or down) based upon the rest of this season and next season, as well. I don't think anyone can legitimately complain about his recruiting.
Problem with us as fans is Pendry becomes the standard.
didnt they go a whole year without one holding penalty? Who has ever done that?

CMC is a very good coach IMO & we are lucky to have him.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Serious question for those who know OL play. Is it possible to get where we are today, in the SEC West, with consistent, C level OL play? I`m assuming for argument`s sake that our overall OL play this year has been "average".

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Cristobal was at FIU from 2007 to 2012. Seantrel Henderson didn't get to Miami until 2010. CMC was listed as assistant HC and TEs coach for Miami in 2013, which is the same year he was hired by Saban. Can you really blame him for anything wrong with a guy that didn't impress NFL scouts during the draft process?
My bad . My timeline was off thinking he was there a couple of years , not months . In all honesty , I had even thought he was one AC's under the scope of the NCAA during the Shapiro fiasco . I needed to check my failing memory :redface:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I recall reading that CMC teaches all positions on the line to each player. So, I would expect the development be a little slower for the guys in the short term/early to mid season and the end of the year to be where the line gels and starts to make it's mark as a solid unit. Coupling in all of the injuries and the difficulty in getting a RG, I think CMC is doing a B+ job up to now. I'm not in the know, but I feel there's been a larger emphasis on passing this year (for reasons I don't know), and the passing emphasis has to affect the running game's blocking.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
^^ Or maybe there is an increased emphasis on passing because our staff thought it unlikely for us to be able to run well consistently. Not that I personally like it, but they probably saw it earlier than us.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Hard to say. Offensive line is one of those positions where I know a good one when I see it and I know w bad one when I see it. But I have a hard time telling why one is good and one is bad. Is it coaching? The talent on the line?

So I won't grade Cristobal so much as I'll grade the offensive line play. If 2011 was an A+, I'll give this year a B. Pretty good at pass protection; just ok at run blocking.

Again, not sure if that is a reflection of Cristobal or the fact that the 2011 line had 4 NFL caliber players.
This best describes my thoughts with one addition I'm really Glad, Happy, Excited, we have him, A ot of teams would love to have this guy coaching for them but it's the opportunity to learn from CNS that keeps him here I think. He is Great to watch on the sidelines during games. The line is getting better every year, we just gotta understand we keep losing our best to the NFL..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Now that the season is over, I think CMC did a great job. The biggest gripe most people have had since the playoff game is that we didn't continue running ball. The O-line took over in the 4th quarter of several games late this year and I believe we could have against OSU.

I think the O-line will continue to improve this year. Talent will not be an issue for the foreseeable future.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
So glad I am a member of this board of experts. I think the O line over-performed this year, Cristobal did a heck of a job as a recruiter, and our head coach is quite adept at evaluating coaching talent as well as player talent. Roll Tide...and trust CNS.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can honestly say He gets B-... only because we've had issues with run game at times... we've had hit and miss throughout the year, but I'm happy with him.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Nobody ever questioned his recruiting...A to A+ over the body of time at Alabama. Obvious A+ for the 2015 signing class.

Unproven as a coach. For every positive, there seems to be a shortcoming.

Not knowing more about the game than I do, I can't say if the problems have been talent (to a great degree remedied by Cristobal himself), playcalling, offensive philosophy, comparisons to two of the greatest OLs in college football history, or comparison against the master, Joe Pendry.

He has talent to work with, and this is his third season on campus. We'll find out about the coaching this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.