Mario Cristobal : how would you grade him?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Well, I give him B- with an opportunity to earn up to A plus at the end of the year.. if we can get our running game going this weekend and going forward from that point on... He did great job coaching up the OL on mulitple positions... Grant Hill was ready! WE jut need to get little more push in the running game and we'll be okay.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hard to say. Offensive line is one of those positions where I know a good one when I see it and I know w bad one when I see it. But I have a hard time telling why one is good and one is bad. Is it coaching? The talent on the line?

So I won't grade Cristobal so much as I'll grade the offensive line play. If 2011 was an A+, I'll give this year a B. Pretty good at pass protection; just ok at run blocking.

Again, not sure if that is a reflection of Cristobal or the fact that the 2011 line had 4 NFL caliber players.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the run game has regressed since he's been here but I don't know how much of that has to do with his coaching. A lot of it may have to do with no B. Jones, Warmack, and Fluker.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I will say this.... Stoutlsnd-- while an outstanding coach-- misevaluated several of our current linemen. The most raw talent is soph and below

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Stoutland was a great coach...probably why he preferred the NFL level to college, so he can avoid having to be so involved in the talent evaluation part. The NFL has huge staffs in the front office for that job.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I wouldn't make an attempt to grade him because I am not at practice everyday and don't know their assignments. Throughout the offseason I have commented my main concern leading in to this season was the OL. I believe they have improved and shown really good progress at times this year...B+ for the OL.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Usually, having a pure freshman LT is a prescription for disaster. Even given Cam's enormous talent, he's had some impressive development...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Coming into the year I wasn't that pleased, but he's done a great job recruiting (something Stoutland wasn't great at) and he's done a good job coaching them up. We have 7-8 linemen that can start and be effective.

We are losing 3 starters off the line next year and I'm not worried one bit. In fact, I expect our line to be better in 2015 - though I couldn't tell you who will start where except LT and C. Any ideas on that?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
For on the field results I don't see how you can grade him above the C- to C+ level. The run blocking is 'Satisfactory' at best and that is maybe kind.

We can't seem to open up ANY running lanes with any type of consistency. Many times TJ and Henry get touched before they can even get to the line of scrimmage.

The Pass blocking is better but if you watch closely Blake's mobility is covering up a lot of breakdowns. If any other QB on our roster was starting he'd be getting 'Mettenburgered'.

Color me extremely not impressed. The O-Line is our one main glaring team weakness next to FG efficiency.

Blake, JK Scott, Cooper and the Defense are saving our bacon in spite of that Unit. To be somewhat fair it may very well be in part to talent evaluation but one would think they could still be 'coached up' better than what we are seeing collectively.

Cam is phenomenal. I'm not commenting on anyone else.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the inconsistency at RG has been a problem. Sims does mask some things with his legs but I think 4/5 of the positions are very good to excellent. RG just can't seem to get solved.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.