Is CMR to blame for Gurley's Injury?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I think it can go at any time. I'm not a doctor though, that's just my thought process from seeing it happen many years in athletics..
Sometimes, you just plant your foot wrong and bad stuff happens. I blew out an ankle power walking. My foot planted, and some gravel underneath shifted; as a result, my foot slid to the side about half an inch and then caught, and the momentum rolled the ankle over.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yeah... I don't think you can blame Richt for this, and that's coming from someone who REALLY dislikes him. It was a non-contact injury, which could have happened at any time and any place. Getting him carries was a good idea, as he needed to get back in to game shape. Now would I have given him that many carries? No... I'm not the head coach at UGA though. I don't think it was the reason he went down though. I am sure CMR feels awful about things, but to heap the blame on him is slightly overboard.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Let's split the difference: 1 part CMR, for leaving him in when the game was probably over; 1 part Gurley, for not being in game shape, after he managed to get suspended; 1 part "it's just football, and can happen anytime"; and 1 part just crappy luck.

There........everyone gets some blame, and no one is totally happy where the blame falls. Problem solved.

Unless you have air time to fill...................cue F-baum..........

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
No I don't blame him for it. This could have happened on his first play of the game. Just something that is a risk in playing football.

Only time I blame a coach for an injury like that...is if they force them to play. If they know the player had a nagging injury...etc

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah... I don't think you can blame Richt for this, and that's coming from someone who REALLY dislikes him. It was a non-contact injury, which could have happened at any time and any place. Getting him carries was a good idea, as he needed to get back in to game shape. Now would I have given him that many carries? No... I'm not the head coach at UGA though. I don't think it was the reason he went down though. I am sure CMR feels awful about things, but to heap the blame on him is slightly overboard.
yeah, i'll be the first to blame just about anything on richt, but this ain't on him.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
One thing that CNS does better than anyone is limit touches to his players. I think it is one of the main reasons we are always in the title hunt.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm not blaming CMR, but I see all kinds of injuries happen when I'm wondering why the starter is still in the game. Pro quarterbacks are the worst example. It seems like they stay in the game no matter what. The guy that plays behind Peyton Manning was shown on the tube this weekend grabbing his helmet a couple of times to go in the game only to see Peyton trotting out.

Skeeterpop is right though. There's no way he should have carried the ball 29 times if he hadn't been practicing with the team. I wonder if the team doctor had any input.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
No one's fault, just bad luck.
It is a sad season-ender for a talented player who seemingly had everything going for him 6 weeks ago.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I get people not wanting to place some responsibility on the coach. Do I agree in this specific case? No way. That falls on the trainers, position coaches and head coach. Just overall a very dumb and careless mistake IMO. Coach Saban talks plenty about limiting our players at times. And I can promise you its not always because they were injured. He thinks practicing to play is a direct result of being able to perform and staying healthy. I would bet my lunch money for a year that if this had happened to one of our players Coach Saban would have had a snap count limit for that player before the game started and you can bet if he went over, it would be someones tail on the line. I know he is the best and thus he would have limited the risk in this situation no question.

Its ok most seem to totally disagree with me on this. I just cant get over how few people think that a player in this case should not have been formally limited to a set number of plays after returning from not playing for 6 weeks. That truly baffles me. Maybe some are scared to place some of the responsibility on a coach for a in game injury. Sure Gurley may have been hurt on any play. But he was not. It was his 29th run of the game late in the game. He was injured untouched. So that alone should tell you something was happening with his body. It was not some fluke play. He was not cutting. He was striding forward and transferring his weight and the knee gave out. Why? We will probably never know. But fatigue I would be willing to bet was a major cause. I have seen it with my own eyes too many times with a fatigued player. Spoke to a top state orthopedic friend today who said muscle weakness, fatigue and other injuries are the major causes of non contact knee injuries.

Simply I blame the coaches for not having a snap limit in place for Gurley. Not that they are the sole cause.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I'm not blaming CMR, but I see all kinds of injuries happen when I'm wondering why the starter is still in the game. Pro quarterbacks are the worst example. It seems like they stay in the game no matter what. The guy that plays behind Peyton Manning was shown on the tube this weekend grabbing his helmet a couple of times to go in the game only to see Peyton trotting out.

Skeeterpop is right though. There's no way he should have carried the ball 29 times if he hadn't been practicing with the team. I wonder if the team doctor had any input.
The pro game is a diff world altogether! 53 men rosters. Really only time a backup qb is gonna go in a game is when the starter is hurt.

Redstripe

3rd Team
Dec 26, 2012
Foley, Alabama
CMR was probably thinking about who his opponent was, Auburn, the luckiest team ever. Last year's fluke was still fresh on his mind and he was taking no chances. He was just trying to drive a stake through their black hearts.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
CMR was probably thinking about who his opponent was, Auburn, the luckiest team ever. Last year's fluke was still fresh on his mind and he was taking no chances. He was just trying to drive a stake through their black hearts.
I know you were being sarcastic.. however if so.. Leave Chubb in.. he only had 19 carries and was averaging 3 more yards per carry than Gurley. Drive the stake all the way through. ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Mark Richt is a good man and a fine coach.
That being said, He should have had both Chubb and Gurley showered, dressed, and in the team bus when that injury occurred.
sip

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I would have prefer playing the 2nd & 3rd string when they got up big & if The Barn started to make a comeback..Then put Gurly & the 1st string back in..That's just me though..It was a great time to get his young players some SEC PT against The Barn in the 2nd half..That's just me though..You don't get these kinda chances very often to play the young players against a quality SEC team..

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Judging by how it happened ,it could have happened in warm ups or at practice this week. I don't place a blame on CMR,,if you really want to blame someone blame the person that created the reason for the off time in the first place. CMR is going to keep on playing with or without Hurley.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
That isn't accurate. He has been practicing as the RB for the scout team since the week after he was suspended (he returned to practice Oct. 14).
Some earlier one said he wasn't in shape after sitting out,I heard the commentator mention the scout team,guess I was being sarcastic.Auburn has put some points up in a hurry before, so I don't by the pull him out early,I guess a crystal ball would help when some one is going to get hurt.One more loss Georgia is out of contention for the sec championship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.