Is CMR to blame for Gurley's Injury?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
These things happen , but Gurly shouldn't have been asked to carry the ball 29 times his first game back. Chubb had only half that amount. I dare say no back at Bama would carry the ball that many times. Especially one not in game shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

single wing1

Suspended
Oct 11, 2005
he's not getting back into the Heisman talk - no matter what he would have done in the last couple of games.

More likely is that he wanted to be out there to solidify his draft status with some decent stats at the end of the year to prove he didn't lose anything while sitting out.
What will be his draft status now?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Not sure who listens to 740 am in Alabama. John and Barry had a local Physical Therapist on this morning taking calls from listeners about personal injuries etc. They threw out the question about Gurley and asked if his heavy workload could have contributed or caused his injury. Without hesitation he started explaining how muscle strength was essential to protecting ligaments. He said Gurley was most likely conditioning even when not playing but it was not the same as game conditioning. Also that injury risk goes up drastically when athletes have muscle fatigue and get overworked. He was careful not to place blame on the coaches but he made the point clear that Gurley's injury was a non contact injury and could have been directly tied to muscle fatigue. I dont blame CMR for the injury but I do blame him for allowing Gurley to be overworked too soon and I personally believe it led to his injury. Hate it happened and best wishes to a fast recovery.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Let's extend this conversation a bit - it drives me absolutely insane when teams line up to run a dive play at the end of the first half with 45ish seconds to go on their own 20. Why on earth would you risk an injury to your RB, LT, etc? If you're going to go for more points - fine - go for it. But if you're just going to go in to the tunnel, take a knee and get out. Someone mentioned NFL QBs in the fourth quarter in blowouts - totally agree. Take your big money (NFL/Auburn)/Impact (college) players out of the game and let the backups get some reps.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I say ask this question *before* it happens. Hindsight is always a perfect 20/20. Since none of us are privy to what was going through Mark Richt's mind, there's no real way to know. Now, the question could be, should CMR be held accountable for Gurley's injury? I say no. It's an unfortunate event. Did CMR think about this before running him out there late in the game? Did he ask the RB coach or Gurley or other coaches if it would be ok to run him later in the game? I'm sure he did and probably got the ok from his coaches and Gurley himself. I haven't heard Gurley complain that he got the ball too much. So, I'd have to say no. This is not on CMR or any of his coaches. Stuff happens.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.