Vols Players Suspected of Rape

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Re: VOls Players Suspected of Rape

Tennessee has suspended linebacker A.J. Johnson and defensive back Michael Williams amid a sexual assault investigation.
DeBusk said one woman "has decided not to prosecute at this time,'' but the other wants to press charges.

ESPN

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

what does that have to do with rape?
While I don't support his statement, I think that his point is that if people only have sex with people that they know and love, they wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing. One of the many problems with his/her premise is that married men rape their wives every day, and married women falsely accuse their husbands of crimes every day.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
We all know alcohol lowers inhibitions and causes people to do and say things they normally don't. This certainly isn't a excuse in this case.
I know nothing of what actually happened in this case, but my guess would be alcohol was prevalent.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

The really sad statistic is that while male student athletes compose only about 5% of the student population on most campuses, their involvement in the reported sexual assault cases on campus approaches 20%. The involvement in reported campus domestic violence cases is much higher, in the 30% range.

I'm of the opinion that the problem starts many years before they ever get to college. Just think how things have changed with the elite student athletes these days. Some being scouted and recruited while freshmen in high school. They have thousands of fans following them on twitter and instagram before they are even high school seniors. When you are being told you're "special" constantly, many can't help but believe. And with that comes the notion of "rules for them" and "rules for me".

An old coach I had way back in the dark ages use to say "I want you to become men of character, not men who are characters".

As the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Wow. Seeing a lot of this going on the last 2 years. You would think with the stature of these guys it would be easy to find willing ladies. The best thing these athletes can do for themselves is get married or at the least have a steady girlfriend on campus.
There is another option, of course, and one that takes a whole lot less time, money, persuasion or commitment. :wink:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Wow. Seeing a lot of this going on the last 2 years. You would think with the stature of these guys it would be easy to find willing ladies. The best thing these athletes can do for themselves is get married or at the least have a steady girlfriend on campus.
Winston had a girlfriend

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

Unfortunately, I know women who have been raped. It messes up your head very badly. You will never be the same.
I really wish more people understood this. Rape is not a one-time offense, it is a lifetime offense.

Statistically we all do, whether you are aware or not
Wish more people understood this as well. None of us are as distant from these stories as we may think.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

what does that have to do with rape?
Abstinence is not impossible and is a solution to a LOT of problems.

Husbands do rape their wives, and married women do falsely accuse their husbands, but this wouldn't have happened.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Abstinence is not impossible and is a solution to a LOT of problems.

Husbands do rape their wives, and married women do falsely accuse their husbands, but this wouldn't have happened.
unfortunately, abstinent women get raped too.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

unfortunately, abstinent women get raped too.
Yes by nonabstinent men. The whole point is whether the players are guilty or not in this case, if they always abstain they are always not guilty.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Let's not confuse being raped with having sex. One is real bad, the other is real good. :)

What I mean is, just because people get raped, that doesn't make having sex bad. It's two different issues.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.