First ever Bama game

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Or - you could take out a free account at Flickr or Photobucket and upload your pix to there. They have very simple instructions for using the "img" tag to imbed the photos. Our internal process just inserts a link to the photo...
I'll auction things on ebay occasionally...if I'm trying to submit a pic to Tidefans that's on my computer, I can schedule an auction complete with the pic, which then lets me enter it here, then cancel the scheduled auction. I haven't tried it in a while, but that used to work too.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks Fundy!

I give you full marks, tho, for having had obviously made the very most of the experience...

It'll essentially take me all day to fly down on Wednesday - to Bham - then I'll rent a car and drive to Ttown on Thurs, where my buddy - who is driving down from Toronto - will join me.

We'll be staying in Ttown til Sunday, so as to enjoy the buildup to the game, as well as game day itself, while also not having to worry about rushing around to get back the next day...

I can only hope that I have 10% of the luck you had when it comes to some of your experiences.

Mind you, I suspect that the success of your visit was representative of that old adage of luck being a combination of preparation and opportunity.

Anyway, couldn't be happier for you, brother!

And thanks for posting the helpful and enjoyable report on your trip!
Thanks, Rush. The drive from Hoover (where we stayed) to Tuscaloosa and back was very easy and shorter than we expected- except after the game- lots of traffic on McFarland and an accident near Cottondale on the highway.

We left home at 5am on Thursday and flew Halifax to Toronto and Toronto to Atlanta on Thursday. We arrived in Atlanta around 1pm and drove to Hoover from there- no problem at all. Same with the trip back except for a LOT of traffic around Six Flags outside Atlanta which delayed us a bit. We spent two days travelling for two days in Alabama but it was SO worth it. You have three days there which is even more time to soak it all in. Bring your credit card with you to the Superstore- there is more Bama gear there than I would have dreamt possible. We loaded up a suitcase full on our trip.

One of the things that I really enjoyed was seeing so many cars with Bama flags and decals and almost everyone wearing Bama gear on campus. Up here, I am the only one; you probably are in Ottawa too. As soon as you set foot on campus- probably even sooner- you'll feel like you came home for the first time.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Well, in highway miles, he's got you beat by 600+. However, that's just an extra hour in a jetliner... :D
Not sure whether Fundy works for himself, Earle, but I do, so if we factor in the 4 days wherein I won't be making any munnee, goes that narrow the 600 mile gap somewhat? :biggrin:

playball31580

Suspended
Aug 19, 2005
Wish I went to Tuscaloosa for college
Funny story... My wife and I were standing in the small gift shop at Bryant Museum on Friday morning wondering if we should buy our swag there. I'd heard about the Superstore but had no idea where it was. I asked a guy next to me... he asked us where we were from... they live in Flint Michigan (UM grad) but have been coming to Bama games for over 20 years. They walked with us over to Ferguson Centre... we really hit it off. They were staying at Capstone Hotel and suggested that we come by around 5pm to see the team come in to the hotel- so we did. But only hotel guests could come in so we were standing outside the lobby by the bar and this couple introduced us to a really nice fellow named Jack who couldn't believe how far we had come for the game. While we're standing there, Chris Samuels walked by and I said, "That's Chris Samuels". Apparently, Chris heard me and he turned and waved. Well, the three of them just about fell over that I recognized him (they didn't) and I told them who he was. I think I said he paved the road for Shaun Alexander and was All Pro with the Redskins which iirc, he was. So, Jack asked me if i would recognize the players on this year's team and I told him i would probably recognize some of them. He went to the security detail working the hotel and next thing we know, we were waved into the lobby with the players and coaches.

Anyway, the team came out of their meetings later that night and Coach Saban and some of the players signed autographs and posed for pictures. I was very, very surprised that they would take the time to do that the night before a big game with so much on their minds. They really are great ambassadors for the program. So, I have pictures with Coach Saban, Blake Sims, Trey Depriest, Christion Jones, Cooper Bateman and a few others as well as some autographs. It was really something else.

So, right place at the right time and a whole bunch of luck is the short answer.

Wow that's just awesome. I have gotten pictures with several of the players this year, out by the Walk of Champions after the games when they exit out of the stadium. Saban never comes out afterwards. I may need to find those people that you met that stay at the Capstone Hotel so they can get the security to wave me in :biggrin2:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks, Rush. The drive from Hoover (where we stayed) to Tuscaloosa and back was very easy and shorter than we expected- except after the game- lots of traffic on McFarland and an accident near Cottondale on the highway.

We left home at 5am on Thursday and flew Halifax to Toronto and Toronto to Atlanta on Thursday. We arrived in Atlanta around 1pm and drove to Hoover from there- no problem at all. Same with the trip back except for a LOT of traffic around Six Flags outside Atlanta which delayed us a bit. We spent two days travelling for two days in Alabama but it was SO worth it. You have three days there which is even more time to soak it all in. Bring your credit card with you to the Superstore- there is more Bama gear there than I would have dreamt possible. We loaded up a suitcase full on our trip.

One of the things that I really enjoyed was seeing so many cars with Bama flags and decals and almost everyone wearing Bama gear on campus. Up here, I am the only one; you probably are in Ottawa too. As soon as you set foot on campus- probably even sooner- you'll feel like you came home for the first time.
Very helpful, Fundy, thanks!

Where is this Superstore, as I too plan on loading up...

I purchase all my Bama gear online, and they often hammer me w shipping costs, duty, or both.

And now that the Canadian dollar is sinking, the exchange is a bit of a factor as well...

And yes, you're absolutely right.

I'm the only one flyin' the flags, sportin' the gear etc. around here, so yes, I can only imagine what it'll feel like on campus...

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
The Superstore that we went to is in Ferguson Student Centre. If you are at Denny Chimes looking toward the river, walk forward and bear a bit to the left for about a quarter mile and you'll land there pretty easily. I'm sure others who know the campus better than I do could give you much better directions but that's how we found it. There are some good stores on the strip as well. QUOTE=Rush;2518620]Very helpful, Fundy, thanks!

I purchase all my Bama gear online, and they often hammer me w shipping costs, duty, or both.

And now that the Canadian dollar is sinking, the exchange is a bit of a factor as well...

I'm the only one flyin' the flags, sportin' the gear etc. around here, so yes, I can only imagine what it'll feel like on campus...[/QUOTE]

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The Superstore that we went to is in Ferguson Student Centre. If you are at Denny Chimes looking toward the river, walk forward and bear a bit to the left for about a quarter mile and you'll land there pretty easily. I'm sure others who know the campus better than I do could give you much better directions but that's how we found it. There are some good stores on the strip as well. QUOTE=Rush;2518620]Very helpful, Fundy, thanks!

I'm the only one flyin' the flags, sportin' the gear etc. around here, so yes, I can only imagine what it'll feel like on campus...
Thanks, brother!!

Last edited:

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
I attended my first ever Bama game on Saturday with my wife. I've been a Bama fan for about 30 years but living so far away (Nova Scotia, Canada), raising kids, paying bills- I never thought I would ever be able to actually make the pilgrimage to T-town. It was our first time in the state of Alabama and we absolutely loved it!

The entire experience was truly the thrill of a lifetime. My wife and I were treated like royalty by everyone we met; genuine Southern hospitality and friendliness at its very finest. People were absolutely wonderful, the campus is just beautiful and Bryant Denny is simply awesome.

I just wanted to thank those of you who responded to my post a few months ago about this trip: we did, indeed, see a Conference game (what a game!) and stayed in Hoover which was great- just as we were advised to do.

We saw the team arrive at the hotel on Friday evening and leave on Saturday afternoon- we even got some autographs and some pics with Coach Saban, Blake Sims, Trey Depriest, Jalston Fowler and Cooper Bateman when some good folks found out how far we had come to see the game and arranged for us to get close. We crossed the street from Coleman to the museum with Coach Smart game day morning- it was just surreal.

Very special thanks to Boo Radley for giving us his seats for the game. That really made the trip possible for us.

I've read about the great game day experience in Tuscaloosa and our experience exceeded our expectations in every possible way. There are truly no words to describe how we felt being a part of it. We will definitely be back as soon as we can.

Roll Tide!
Dave, it was such a pleasure to meet you and Kelly. Y'all are Bama family now, so be sure and let us know the next time y'all can make it back to your 'second" home. We'll try to make the next trip even better. Roll Tide and thanks for being the Bama ambassadors for Nova Scotia!

Oh yeah, you forgot to take your weather with you. ;)

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Dave, it was such a pleasure to meet you and Kelly. Y'all are Bama family now, so be sure and let us know the next time y'all can make it back to your 'second" home. We'll try to make the next trip even better. Roll Tide and thanks for being the Bama ambassadors for Nova Scotia!

Oh yeah, you forgot to take your weather with you. ;)
Bob, thanks again for making the pilgrimage possible for us in the first place. Kelly and I were very nervous to travel such a long way without tickets in hand and if you hadn't reached out to offer us your tickets (and what seats!) we probably wouldn't have made the trip at all. We'll do our best to represent Bama properly up here. We sure have enough gear to do it seven days a week now! Next time we visit maybe it will be early September and we'll bring a nice cool breeze from Nova Scotia instead of below freezing temps.

Roll Tide!

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Fundytide: How is it you became a Tide Fan? Would love to hear your story (and Rush's, as well).....
When I was in middle school, some friends and I got thrown out of music class because we weren't behaving ourselves- typical teenage boy stuff. Anyway, we were sent to the library for the rest of the period and one of the guys I was with had a Sports Illustrated magazine. It must have been shortly after Coach Bryant died and there was a story in the magazine about Coach Bryant's impact on football, Alabama and really the entire South. I remember specifically a picture and a part of the story about how people stood on the highway overpasses as Coach Bryant's hearse passed through the state on the way to the cemetery. Just the whole story about how people felt about Coach Bryant, his greatness, how passionate Bama fans were really struck me. I just really identified with it because I really loved football so much and wanted to be a part of it because of what I read about the tradition, passion and reverence for Coach Bryant.

I was a bit of an NFL football fan at the time (49ers and Broncos), hockey fan and baseball fan as well but as I grew older, I stopped following other sports very closely and for the past 15 or 20 years I've really only been a Bama football fan. I'll always be a Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, New York Islanders and Denver Broncos fan but I just have never felt the same about those teams as I do about Alabama. So, I'm quite an oddball here in Nova Scotia because not only am I not a hockey fan, I am the only person I ever see up here sporting Bama gear anywhere. I am the only Bama fan that I know of here. In fact, I had never even met another Bama fan in person until my wife Kelly and I went on a cruise last March and we met a couple of Bama fans on the beach in the Virgin Islands.

For a long time it was pretty hard to be a Bama fan up here. Years ago, I remember staying up late (we're two hours ahead of CST here) and watching CBS, ABC or NBC on Saturday nights because there would be a ticker tape college football games update so i could find out what was happening when Bama played. I would check again in the morning to see the final score. We would usually get to watch only one Bama game per year up here then and that was the bowl game. I remember being so upset one year in the late 1980's I think when Bama got blown out early in the Bluebonnet Bowl (?) but I loved every last second of watching Bama put a beating on Miami in 1992. The internet made it a lot easier to follow Bama and the first web site I remember finding was one with a construction hard hat symbol on the page- I don't recall the name exactly right now- and soon after that I found TideFans and joined the weekend Bama played Tennessee in either 1997 or 1998. Since then, I have visited TideFans very, very often to read and learn but I don't really post very much as I never felt like I knew enough or was a true fan given the circumstances. I've been able to watch a lot more Bama games over the past ten years or so since CBS began broadcasting SEC football and over the past three years, I can most of them through the SuperSports Pak through my cable provider so my longing to go to a game just grew and grew over the years and now that I have finally made the pilgrimage I can't wait to come back to Tuscaloosa again.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Unless they've really changed the name, it used to be "Supe Store." It was located diagonally across from the Quad. The name was really "Supply Store," but everyone just called it "Supe Store." Maybe when they upgraded and moved to Fergy they upgraded the name as well... :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.