I WANT TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT GUS !!!! And i am wanting everyone's input...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Re: I WANT TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT GUS !!!! And i am wanting everone's input.

I get that about Gus , he likes to check himself a lot on the jumbotron and make sure everybody sees that fancy watch he is wearing. So yea I agree.
Can't say my eyes have ever made it to his watch, as, once they're assaulted by the site of him chewin' on that cud, I have no choice but to look away...

I mean, man...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

This is what I told my wife. And she agrees. She understands football and she said after the olemiss game , that it will catch up with them ! She said after the Georgia game they have quit. She also thinks we will be the He** out of them, I told her not to worry I think we beat auburn but it will be a 10-14 point game.
Todd Berry at UL-Monroe said something similar last year or the year before about it wearing players thin as well. Like I said in the HUNH thread too that offense hides sloppy undisciplined play and speeds refs up to the point that they miss calls so it gives them that advantage but it kills them depth wise too.

It will win you some games but when you face teams who emphasize defense as well towards the end of the year you are going to pay for it eventually unless you have two miracles that keep your season alive:biggrin:

B

BroadwayJoe777

Wow. Thread of the year!

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

OP married an AU fan. Wow..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Ellis Johnson actually had a pretty good reputation when Gus hired him. AU fans were excited about him.
As did Uncle Rico with Chizik. AU has been a place for good coordinators career's to take a big hit.

The biggest flaw with Gus that I see is his "keep it close and win it in the end" and ":13 better" philosophy. He seems to not only be content with winning close games, but he seems to encourage it. He constantly talks about he just wants to keep it close because he confident his team will find a way to win. This year's theme for their team was ":13 seconds better" in reference to leading all but the last 13 seconds of the BCSNCG against FSU. That has worked out for him a lot, but that mentality seems to invite sloppier play by the players as time goes by.

His philosophy goes against most coaches who focus on winning every play and dominating your opponent for 60 minutes.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama

I believe that gus will never have a good defensive team. I think his stay at auburn will not be as long as some people think!

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

I believe that gus will never have a good defensive team. I think his stay at auburn will not be as long as some people think!
I agree. Looks like Georgia has his offense figured out and others will too. He loses four games two years in a row and he will be on the barn forever payroll. And by the way, I think WM will go to Carolina as DC and head coach in waiting.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Ok, My wife a big Auburn fan, DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT.
dude, you just posted it on the Internet....

She actually is very knowledgeable about football, I MEAN HECK !!!! I use to coach, Me and her was talking the other night ad we both came to this conclusion. GUS will never hire a big name defensive coach cause he want's all the accolades.
Yeah, Jim Chizik had the same problem.

She said and it makes since, . He likes it all to be about him. What do you guy's think. Look I know us bama fans don't care, But I thought it something that has not been talked about.
I think Gus is the Fernando Valenzuela or Hideo Nomo or other big name pitcher who mows through teams the first year or so until they figure him out. Then - because he can't do anything but backyard Arena ball - he winds up coaching at Akron.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I think I'd rather talk about little Debbie oatmeal pies ;)

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

OP married an AU fan. Wow..

Topkek

As far as Gus is concerned, I think he's waiting for an opportunity to jump up to the NFL, his stock ain't gonna get much better than what it is now.

Last edited:

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
I've said it from the beginning, but teams like that will NEVER have great defenses and here is why. Coaches like him, Chip Kelly, etc. ALWAYS put the top athletes on offense. Crap they have to in order to have a good offense and to have the speed to run that offense. They truly think they can outscore everyone.

But when you need a good 2 deep depth chart on offense you can't afford to have good scholarship players on defense because all the "ifs" are on offense. These offenses tend to wear down at the end of the year and the defense sucks all year and only gets worse. It explains why Oregon always lost later on and explains the barn's big egg Saturday....
That is exactly what I keep telling my coworkers (AU fans). That style of play puts a great amount of stress on a defense. I can't think of any really good spread based teams with a dominant defense.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Hard to say what, if anything, CWM will do here. Chizik was a fantastic DC who has decided to stay out of coaching and make his money as a commentator.

Without knowing his contract, it's hard to even guess what CWM will do. If his contract is like most, he'll get paid X amount of dollars and that amount is off-set by his salary if coaches somewhere else. IOW, if his contract is typical, if he coaches next year (and if he continues receiving salary instead of a one-time buyout) he'd essentially be working for free - he'd make the same money if he stayed at home with his family.

NorthernTide

Scout Team
Aug 7, 2006
Largo, FL.

When was the last time a "fastball" team had a good defense? It's not just the game where they're right back out on numerous occasions, it's practice! Practicing at that pace does not allow you to spend the time needed to have an elite defense. I was an OC at the hs level and ran the HUNH using principles I learned from Gus and Chip Kelly, so I've seen it first hand. Man, our defense was awful, and it was because of the way we had to practice our offense.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama

When was the last time a "fastball" team had a good defense? It's not just the game where they're right back out on numerous occasions, it's practice! Practicing at that pace does not allow you to spend the time needed to have an elite defense. I was an OC at the hs level and ran the HUNH using principles I learned from Gus and Chip Kelly, so I've seen it first hand. Man, our defense was awful, and it was because of the way we had to practice our offense.
Exactly, And when you went up against a physical (punch you in the mouth type team) it made you look bad on defense.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010

it would be a move to keep auburn competing for national titles. hiring muschamp is my biggest fear currently. all they lack is a good defense. his fla team is ranked 7th in the nation now on defense. not bad considering they don't have a offense. there will be a lot of bidding for his services. south Carolina, auburn, for sure.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Hard to say what, if anything, CWM will do here. Chizik was a fantastic DC who has decided to stay out of coaching and make his money as a commentator.

Without knowing his contract, it's hard to even guess what CWM will do. If his contract is like most, he'll get paid X amount of dollars and that amount is off-set by his salary if coaches somewhere else. IOW, if his contract is typical, if he coaches next year (and if he continues receiving salary instead of a one-time buyout) he'd essentially be working for free - he'd make the same money if he stayed at home with his family.
Exactly. And, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays out of coaching for a year or two.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia

it would be a move to keep auburn competing for national titles. hiring muschamp is my biggest fear currently. all they lack is a good defense. his fla team is ranked 7th in the nation now on defense. not bad considering they don't have a offense. there will be a lot of bidding for his services. south Carolina, auburn, for sure.
If Kevin Sumlin is smart, he would have already offered Muschamp the job

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.