I WANT TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT GUS !!!! And i am wanting everyone's input...

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
Ok, My wife a big Auburn fan, DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT. She actually is very knowledgeable about football, I MEAN HECK !!!! I use to coach, Me and her was talking the other night ad we both came to this conclusion. GUS will never hire a big name defensive coach cause he want's all the accolades. She said and it makes since, . He likes it all to be about him. What do you guy's think. Look I know us bama fans don't care, But I thought it something that has not been talked about.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
Re: I WANT TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT GUS !!!! And i am wanting everone's input.

It will depend on how much he actually cares to win. Of course he could find a good DC that is not a big name.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

Actually Ellis Johnson done pretty well at SC ,But 7 points and going on a 4th down at mid field didn't help the DC.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

There are no simple answers to human behavior, but he may just not know enough about defense to really help team field a highly functional defense. He may have a total hands off approach to the defense; therefore, the defense is working in a vacuum and may not be prepared to be on the field at all times. He could be hiring defensive coaches that do not work well with his style of coaching (see manager/employees that do not work well together). He may want the higher skilled players on offense, thereby making the defense weaker relatively. He may be the megalomaniac you say might be. Time will tell.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I dunno.... He seems like a good guy overall and I don't think he's so vain as to sacrifice winning games.

He's actually only the 2nd Barn coach I don't strongly dislike next to Chizik. He just needs to make a move and get a top flight D Coordinator.

Of course it's best for us and everyone else that they continue to stink on D because they are really good on offense. He's just been stubborn this year trying to force the pass when they should have played like last year and taken advantage of Marshall's legs with the added combo of Cap and Roc.

Hopefully their gameplan in the Iron Bowl is to keep throwing because Landon, Perry, Eddie, and Cyrus are on FIRE right now :D

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I seen a lot more whining from him on the sidelines when he was losing,may the real Gus stand up.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

GUS will never hire a big name defensive coach cause he want's all the accolades.
I would imagine some people said the same thing about Saban and Kiffen.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Folks need to remember, GM was a defensive coach before he became an offensive-minded one. I will bet dollars to donuts WM is offered the job at the barn - whether he takes it or not, I don't know. I hope and pray not.
GM does have an ego, but I don't think he's stupid. And not hiring a "name" DC would be stupid unless he lucks out and hits a home run. I don't know if he (and the PTB at the barn) will take that gamble.
I have followed EJ for a lot of years and the best he ever did was at SC, and what did that get them? He's a customer so I cant speak too harshly but I hope he stays at the barn forever.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

​I hear Will Muschamp is looking for a DC job.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I've said it from the beginning, but teams like that will NEVER have great defenses and here is why. Coaches like him, Chip Kelly, etc. ALWAYS put the top athletes on offense. Crap they have to in order to have a good offense and to have the speed to run that offense. They truly think they can outscore everyone.

But when you need a good 2 deep depth chart on offense you can't afford to have good scholarship players on defense because all the "ifs" are on offense. These offenses tend to wear down at the end of the year and the defense sucks all year and only gets worse. It explains why Oregon always lost later on and explains the barn's big egg Saturday....

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

With that kind of offense, I truly believe that most top tier defensive coaches would not want to have anything to do with them. Even if your defense is doing its job when their offense is going good you still have to send them right back out because they score so quickly. If you look around the country most all the fast paced teams struggle on defense and try to rely on out scoring people. I would even go as far to say these programs likely scare away some good defensive talent for the same reason. It does not matter how good you are staying on the field so much over the course of the game will get you.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

I get that about Gus , he likes to check himself a lot on the jumbotron and make sure everybody sees that fancy watch he is wearing. So yea I agree.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Ellis Johnson actually had a pretty good reputation when Gus hired him. AU fans were excited about him.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I've said it from the beginning, but teams like that will NEVER have great defenses and here is why. Coaches like him, Chip Kelly, etc. ALWAYS put the top athletes on offense. Crap they have to in order to have a good offense and to have the speed to run that offense. They truly think they can outscore everyone.

But when you need a good 2 deep depth chart on offense you can't afford to have good scholarship players on defense because all the "ifs" are on offense. These offenses tend to wear down at the end of the year and the defense sucks all year and only gets worse. It explains why Oregon always lost later on and explains the barn's big egg Saturday....
I think you and I were typing our post at the same time.I said essentially the same thing.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama

This is what I told my wife. And she agrees. She understands football and she said after the olemiss game , that it will catch up with them ! She said after the Georgia game they have quit. She also thinks we will be the He** out of them, I told her not to worry I think we beat auburn but it will be a 10-14 point game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.