W. Carolina Versus Bama

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Trying not to be to pessimistic but I wasn't impressed at all last night. I've wanted Grant gone for a couple years now but still support the team. Seems like we have the same problems we've had since CAG has been here. A 6 point win at home over western carolina is not impressive in the least bit. At this point I would be surprised if we go .500 or better in SEC play. Hope I'm wrong..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Keep that in mind, we have brand new teams.. several players who hasn't played in a while... 10 games in and you have legimate concerns, but I see lot of things that wasn't there last year and I'm very optimistic about this team. Defensive pressure is there, but if we can get over the foul issues... now, the reason we didnt play well was because there was so many fouls on both team, that affected the offense flow...
Trying not to be to pessimistic but I wasn't impressed at all last night. I've wanted Grant gone for a couple years now but still support the team. Seems like we have the same problems we've had since CAG has been here. A 6 point win at home over western carolina is not impressive in the least bit. At this point I would be surprised if we go .500 or better in SEC play. Hope I'm wrong..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Keep that in mind, we have brand new teams.. several players who hasn't played in a while... 10 games in and you have legimate concerns, but I see lot of things that wasn't there last year and I'm very optimistic about this team. Defensive pressure is there, but if we can get over the foul issues... now, the reason we didnt play well was because there was so many fouls on both team, that affected the offense flow...
I understand what you are saying. But we beat Western Carolina by 6. At home. It's going to take a lot of improvement to have a winning conference record. That's one thing that CAG has not showed he can do yet:develop and maximize the talent on our roster..

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I guess I'm keeping this year in "perspective". I believe that we are picked to finish in the bottom part of the 14 teams, but I actually am looking at the middle of the pack about right now if our talent gels over the next two months.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I guess I'm keeping this year in "perspective". I believe that we are picked to finish in the bottom part of the 14 teams, but I actually am looking at the middle of the pack about right now if our talent gels over the next two months.
Yea I guess I just expected more than being a middle of the pack team in CAG's 6th year here. Maybe I'm in the minority on that thought..

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Yea I guess I just expected more than being a middle of the pack team in CAG's 6th year here. Maybe I'm in the minority on that thought..
I think anyone that puts a whole lotta stock in the results of the first 3 games of a basketball team that has had its make-up completely jumbled up from the previous year (which can be a good thing), well...

And I understand the backdrop of your comments and others.

Do I think we will be the 28-point-win-over-Towson team, or the had-to-come-back-to-beat-Western-Carolina team? Probably somewhere in between. And I'm not sure how that will translate to quality non-cons and SEC play. But they are showing some nice flashes.

Put simply, this team needs a few games to gel, and get that chemistry. Last night was part of that. And we pulled it out. Not sure last year's team would've.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I think #1 thing to take away from this game.. we scored 80 despite going 2-17 from three.. if we go 6/17 we score 90. Last year no one was able to shoot from outside so 2-17 was like the norm. This year we have several guys that hit 3s. I think we will see many more 6/17 and greater % games than 2/17.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I watched the game but didn't have the energy to participate in the game thread...

A few frustrations during the game but the team looked well finishing (except for Randolph's foul at about 4.5 seconds to go; maybe he just wanted the chance to hit two more free throws himself;) ). I agree with others that the chemistry seems much better than last year. There were good passes made by the guards and by the high post player to the low post.

Randolph played good defense during the late stages of the game when he was assigned to stick to Sinclair and deny him the ball as much as possible. I don't know why Hale was on the bench for so long but he was out of the game during the stretch that WCU went on their run.

This was my first look at the new players. Kessens is bigger than I was expecting; still not a bruiser but he is not thin.

Tarrant played really well; don't know if this will be a regular thing but I hope so.

Coleman hit a big shot late in the game and he was in the game during some crucial times which means Coach Grant trusts him and he is getting good experience early.

Norris played pretty well but looked a little uncomfortable at times. He made some good plays including an assist to the post player; he will likely make big steps in improving his play as the season progresses.

I didn't get much a feel for Mitchell but I think he just needs time.

I'm still worried that Bama will struggle against teams that have size and talent inside but I see improvement with the addition of Kessens and maybe Norris as well.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
There was promise out there on the court. Bama has a challenging but not terribly difficult schedule before conference play. Here's to hoping development goes well and we can see a tourney contender in this team.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It's gonna be tough with only 3 seniors on the squad, but hopefully Randolph can step up with some leadership on the court!

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
It's basketball. Games against lesser opponents can be close when you have so many new guys. My biggest take away is that we scored 80 points in two consecutive games. If we continue to score points at that rate we are going to give up more points. The only way we remain a team that only gives up 55-60 points a game is to play slow.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Middle of the pack will not and should not be acceptable. We have to be a tourney team or changes have to be made. NIT will not get it.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Middle of the pack will not and should not be acceptable. We have to be a tourney team or changes have to be made. NIT will not get it.
I'm not in a position to say what is "acceptable". I guess that will be done at the end of the year. But, I will support the team wherever they land. That being said, we look a lot better than I thought coming out of the gates. I think that there are a percentage of fans that don't want anything good to happen so that CAG is not renewed, but I don't wish that on the team because I want them to be successful. How successful they have to be is probably only known by the AD and CAG.

Last edited:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I thought we looked like a better team than last year.

Our inside defense was OK, as there weren't nearly as many easy layups and easy shots inside as last year. Of course that may change as our competition amps up. Our outside defense was about average, but they lived outside the arc and sometimes guys just get hot and everything they throw up goes in, no matter how good your defense is.
Our offense was a lot better. Our aggressiveness toward the bucket was great. We still need to hit more outside shots though, and while we took a few bad shots, they weren't forced by the shot clock as they were several times last year.
All in all we looked much better than I expected...now we just gotta keep improving. RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.