Greatest QB's in Alabama history

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
AJ has to be #1, maybe in the history of college football. I can't speak to most of the rest of the list as I didn't get to watch most play, but Sims would belong in the top 5-6 if you win it all this year, IMO. He is more talented that JPW or GMac.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Where would Bart Starr rank? Was kind of surprised to not see him on the list.

http://alabamafootballhq.com/greatest-quarterbacks-of-all-time/

10) Brodie Croyle
9) John Parker Wilson
8) Jeff Ruthledge
7) Greg McElroy
6) Harry Gilmer
5) Pat Trammel
4) Ken Stabler
3) Jay Barker
2) Joe Namath
1) AJ McCarron

Thoughts?
Mine but you got a good list
1. Pat Trammel
2. Steadman Sealy
3. Jeff Rutledge
4. Ken Stabler
5. Joe Namath
6. AJ Mccarron
7. Jay Barker
8. Greg McElory
9. Scott Hunter
10 Harry Gilmer

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Mr. Starr played in an era of UA football that was rather forgettable. If you`re talking overall football career, he`s right near the top IMHO.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Where would Bart Starr rank? Was kind of surprised to not see him on the list.
Don't know about greatest 'Bama quarterbacks, but did you happen to the catch the exchange during Sunday's Packers-Eagles game between Joe Buck and Troy Aikman about where Bart ranks as a great gentleman? Priceless. Especially the part of it about the unannounced visits Bart made to Aikman's hospital room when he was in Birmingham on two different occasions for surgery by Dr. Andrews.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I guess I don't fully understand lists like this..... How do you compare QBs from various eras of football? Especially considering all of the tremendous rule changes (the large majority of which have completely sided with the offense)..... Who's to say Harry Gilmer isn't better than all of them? The guy was incredibly successful in his era. Why wouldn't it be expected that he would be even more successful operating under today's rule changes that greatly benefit the passing game?

Heck, Jay Barker may not have even been a QB in the 1930s.....

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I guess I don't fully understand lists like this..... How do you compare QBs from various eras of football? Especially considering all of the tremendous rule changes (the large majority of which have completely sided with the offense)..... Who's to say Harry Gilmer isn't better than all of them? The guy was incredibly successful in his era. Why wouldn't it be expected that he would be even more successful operating under today's rule changes that greatly benefit the passing game?

Heck, Jay Barker may not have even been a QB in the 1930s.....
I guess you go with wins? What quarterback got the most out of their offense and the players around them? It's not necessarily about breaking records, but which QB was effective and efficient?

As much as I don't want to say it, AJ fits all of the above criteria as well as any other QB on that list.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I was personally a big fan of Walter Lewis as well.

1) Namath
2) Stabler
3) Starr
4) Trammell
5) McCarron
6) JP/Barker
7) Rutledge
8) Gilmer
9) Lewis
10) McElroy

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Pooley Hubert led us to our first NC. Dixie Howell helped establish the pass as an offensive threat (along with Don Hutson) and led Alabama to the 1934 NC. Neither of these two appear on anyone's list so far.

I guess we have too many to choose from.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Alabama never really "coached up" the QBs during the Bryant era...compared to the way it's done today.

That is why many of Coach Bryant's QBs went on to be greater in the NFL statistically than they ever were at Alabama...because they had dedicated coaching. Try to imagine Namath or Stabler with a QB coach like Kiffin...scary thought.

It's hard to compare Namath to McCarron. Both won back-to-back championships. Though I'm only in my early 30s, I have studied up a good bit on Namath. He was to QBs what Julio Jones is to WRs...just a freak of an athlete who can make plays no one else can. He may have not been the purest QB...but he had more talent in his giant hands than anyone else on the field.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You might could answer the question of which Bama qb is the most popular with a thread like this, but it seems impossible to determine who was the greatest.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
IMO I think Stedman Shealy has to be on the list somewhere. Played a key roll backing up Rutledge in the 1978 run to the title and then led Alabama as a starter in 1979 to repeat as champions. Shealy may not have had the greatest stats but I don't think any quarterback, with maybe the exception of Pat Trammel, gave his heart and soul to doing what it took to win games. Heck, Shealy played on a knee most of his career that would have about 75% by today's standards.

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA
BTW I think I gave away my age on that one.

Well, I certainly will give away MY age when I tell this one:l

I was privileged to attend the Rose Bowl in 1946 and watch The Crimson Tide beat the stew outta USC 34-14. My brother was in the Navy and stationed in San Diego at that time, so I rode with my parents to California to visit him AND to go to the Rose Bowl. I still have the program and ticket stubs from the game, plus the newspaper headlines and articles. I also have two pieces of the goalpost that a man gave me. I have always believed that they really ARE from said goalpost. Oh - and - a button to wear on one's jacket. These are my prized football possessions.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think the interesting thing about this list will be the fact that Coach Saban will most likely coach or have coached QBs that will be in the top 10 of this list. There's a good chance our current QB may make this list as well.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You might could answer the question of which Bama qb is the most popular with a thread like this, but it seems impossible to determine who was the greatest.
I agree with this completely. I love Bart Starr but as an Alabama QB he didn't even start his senior year and quite frankly did not do much while at Alabama. AJ was very similar to Steve Sloan, a very good QB on a couple of great teams. As for beating you any way he could and being a great leader nobody surpasses Pat Trammell. Based on pure talent alone it would have to be Namath followed closely by Stabler. The QB getting the most out of less talent, Steadman Shealy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.