Op-Ed in Crimson White: UA Board Should Undergo Reform

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Column here

UAB football appears to be once again in trouble from their biggest foe, the University of Alabama Board of Trustees. The University of Alabama Board of Trustees oversees the entire University of Alabama system, which includes UAB and UAH. There have been quite a few questions over the years regarding its preference for the Tuscaloosa campus.

The Board of Trustees consists of 15 regular trustees as well as one position appointed by the Governor and another appointed by the Superintendent of Education. Twelve of 15 trustees graduated from the University of Alabama, two graduated from UAB and none from UAH (one member graduated from both UAB and UA). It is time the UAB and UAH campuses get some more independence or the board 
gets reformed.
The UAB football debate is the focus of the entire talk, but Bailey talks about UAB and UAH getting independence from UA if the board doesn't get more alums from the two schools.

My question - What does UA lose by UAB and/or UAH getting out from under the UA umbrella? What does UA gain by it? What does either school gain and lose by leaving?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Column here

The UAB football debate is the focus of the entire talk, but Bailey talks about UAB and UAH getting independence from UA if the board doesn't get more alums from the two schools.

My question - What does UA lose by UAB and/or UAH getting out from under the UA umbrella? What does UA gain by it? What does either school gain and lose by leaving?
UAB is Alabama's medical school isn't it? There's some prestige to having the medical school under your umbrella.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
This whole mess seems to have been blown up again by an article written by John Archibald in the Bham News (who I think has written a second article). I just wonder what financial mess Archibald has gotten himself into this time that he has decided to take up this cause and write these articles. With all the junk that is in Birmingham and Jefferson County (and central Alabama) politics, why take up this cause and fan the flames? I say let UAB become it's own university if that is what it wants but the medical school would stay under the UA system. Besides, wouldn't UAB and UAH have to pay UA a ton of money to become its own university?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.