Gus responds to UF job rumors.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Can you imagine how much it would irk the UT fan base for Kiffin to go to their two biggest rivals and beat them at both places?

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I argued that Kiffin as a coordinator was well qualified and I've never been a detractor of his coaching at Alabama. I've even thrown his name out there as a head coaching candidate down the road. However, unless Alabama wins a championship in spectacular fashion, I really doubt he's done enough to jump right back into a high profile job.

Remember, one of the knocks on him is that he doesn't stay in one place long enough. The concern for even a major job is that if he succeeds, he still might not stick around, so merely staying at Alabama for another season makes him seem more reliable. In addition to that, his maturity is also an issue, so one more year of learning under Saban seems like it can only help. I could see him leaving for a head coach job after this season, but I just don't see him leaving for a major job.

I do agree that Mullen makes the most sense for Florida, and Gus is likely on the list for schools that strike out with their first or may be even second choices. For instance, say Michigan can't get Harbaugh or Les...
I dont think Foley likes Mullen. I personally dont see the hype for Mullen, to me he is over rated and over hyped and he is a whiner.
I cant imagine Foley would call Malzapan, Freeze or Mullen. I would hope he is thinking bigger than those average coaches for Flurdah's sake. When Coach retires, if Bama calls Malzapan, Mullen or Freeze, I would just have to end it all before watching that mess. 2 cry babies and a gum smacking goof.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've literally zero attachment to Kiffin, but I can't imagine any major FBS school even considering him at this point. While I don't view his tenure as HC a failure as some seem to, the reality is he' not proved himself capable of running a program yet. Yes, he's a god OC, but HC is a wildly different and more difficult job (see: Will Muschamp, Gene Chizik, etc)...
Agree. I think he needs 2-3 years rehabbing his image and learning under Saban before he gets serious consideration for a HC position again. Even then, I think he'd be wise to go the McElwain route and land at a school that's not high profile. He'll have a little more leeway to learn on the job and make mistakes.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
It may be why his players are playing like they have quit on him this year..If they heard from within the athletic department, that Gus is looking around or has already talked to Florida about their job..They won't play hard for him & go that extra mile for a win..Cause all of a sudden..This team just quit playing hard for Gus & acts like they don't want to play hard enough to get a win..
The UF job didnt' open up until Sunday, AU hasn't looked the same for weeks now.

playball31580

Suspended
Aug 19, 2005
Wish I went to Tuscaloosa for college
I read something a while back along the lines of that Saban asks for at least a minimum 2 year commitment from his coaches after hires them, to stay at Bama before look elsewhere. I would give Kiffin at least 3 years as there is nothing wrong with learning from the best in the business. Plus, he seems to really enjoy his time so far in the Capstone.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
They loved Cheese Dip until Cammy was gone, now the Gus Bus has a flat but hey Cowherd said Gus owns Saban right?

If he don't jump to the NFL he will be fired end of next year.

As for Kiffin, I didn't like him & I really don't know why. But he has been outstanding at Albama, if he will just stay 2 more years, CNS will give him the help he never got before & really teach him how to RUN a program not just be a HC.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
In reverse order, I think Kiffin still has too much baggage for a HC offer from a school where the HC position is better than OC at Alabama. I think we have him for one more year. By that time, the green radioactive glow will have reached its half life, and he'll move on. The kids (and Layla!) are still on the west coast, and I expect him to move west when the time comes.

After a 40+ point beatdown by OSU in a couple of weeks (Meyer will pour it on in an attempt to crack the playoff on style points), in combination with a declining recruiting base and not a lot of talent in Ann Arbor, Meetchgan will in fact be getting desperate.

Agreed on Mullen. I still think Foley and Mullen will mend fences and Mullen will be in Gainesville about 30 seconds after MSU's championship chances cease.

Depending on how Thanksgiving weekend and Championship Saturday play out, that could be anywhere between November 30 and January 10.
I had no idea Layla was still in LA with the kids, I dont recall them being old enough to be in middle or high school. So why not move them to T-town? Unless your on a 1 or 2 year plan. I am sure Saban will not hold him back from going to a HC job. Probably just not one at UF. I see kiffen heading back to the west coast .

I have no attachment to him also as others have said. I dont think its takes CNS long to learn the new offense. But in all honesty I bet Saban made him a 2 or 3 year deal to stay in T-Town and the CNS would support him where ever he wanted to go. I dont think CNS wants a revolving door or coordinators or assistant head coaches.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I think they need to keep the Gus Buss and Nascar offense at Auburn a couple more years. We owe them another 49 to 0. Dont they loose their offensive back field this year.

This is a web site that broadcast Auburn games the same time the game is being broadcast, and Coach Jack Crowe and a x player comment on the game. I watched the last 10 minutes of the loss to UGA. Its sponsored by the yellow wood man. It was so funny listen to the excuses.

This is coach crowe mid week report http://gamedaybunker.com/closing-the-ranks/

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In all seriousness, there really isn't anything a coach can say to answer that question effectively.

The fact is, he's like most of us. Maybe it's not perfect, but he's generally happy where he is. But for the right situation, anybody will leave anywhere. So his agent will listen to calls from any major program, and Florida and Michigan certainly qualify.

But because of all the players, staff and families who depend on him, he can't say the obvious facts that apply to just about anybody in any line of work.

Before Saban's exit from the Dolphins, the standard was just to lie. Everybody knew it was just part of the game. But after he got bashed from coast to coast, and still occasionally deals with the fallout of that statement, nobody wants to risk it.

So we now have the non-denial denial. Malzahn didn't say anything that 99.99% of coaches wouldn't say. He might go to Florida or Michigan or the NFL, or he might stay down on the farm. But you can't read anything either way from his statement.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Rumor has it Urbie's making a U-turn as prodigal son and coming home - but only after a couple of road trips to Lourdes praying for salvation from the dreaded Sabanitis he was suffering from at the end of his first stint in Gainesville.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Personally, I would rather hear Malzahn's wife respond to the rumors. I could use a good laugh.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.