This had (has) to be MSU's year, and they know it...

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Considering that State couldn't blow out Arkansas, Kentucky, or UAB, there is no real reason to think they will go on the road to Oxford, in a big rivalry game, and do it to Ole Miss.

And I know it's still possible under the penumbra of "anything could happen," but for all intents and purposes State is done. Beating Ole Miss, beating Georgia/Mizzou, beating Baylor/TCU/Ohio State, and beating Florida State/Oregon... does anybody really believe this team is good enough to do that? It's been a nice story for them this season with the perennial doormat finally reaching the top, albeit briefly, but I don't think any rational observer really expects them to make a serious run at winning it all.
Then it was never their year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the premise is, "if they can't/don't do it this year, when can/will they - EVER?" I don't think that CA was suggesting that they should have done it this year.

This was/is their year. It's now or never, so to speak.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Unless OSU chokes, I'll be surprised if they don't bump MSU out regardless of what they do in Oxford next weekend.
Pretty obvious to me, at least, that MSU is done unless they can get Alabama to lose in the Iron Bowl, and therefore get to Atlanta and bring home the SEC crown. A 12-1 MSU with an SEC Championship on their resume is getting in; anything less than that isn't going to work.

The only way an 11-1, non-SEC Champion MSU gets into the Playoff is if there is a lot of chaos down the stretch with the remaining contenders. If there is a glut of one-loss teams at the end of the season, State doesn't have a chance of holding on to that #4 spot.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think that the premise is, "if they can't/don't do it this year, when can/will they - EVER?" I don't think that CA was suggesting that they should have done it this year.

This was/is their year. It's now or never, so to speak.
Bingo, that's precisely what I was suggesting. This was a 'perfect storm' year for them they won't see again for a long time...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Not trying to be an arrogant jerk towards them, but I think that's basically right. In the context of a national championship, it never has been their year, it was never their year this year, and it never will be their year.

Last edited:

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I agree on OSU, the football gods need that northern school in their playoff for their ratings and revenues.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think That's why Miss state was playing with emotions this year.. because of experience on the line. They have depth behind the starting line, but at same time, I wonder how much of a drop off will we see if Dak leaves. Mullen may not want to go to UF, but I have a feeling that he is looking to leave... because he dont want to rebuild the program again. I just don't understand why the need to reshirt all those folks, and all.. a good coach will stockpile players, but at same time give freshmen playing time.
From what I understand MSU has depth everywhere - not "Bama" depth, but at least "Barn" depth. If DP stays they will be better next year than some might think...but they won't be as good as they are this year, IMO. IF DM doesn't leave.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree and further tOSU will jump TCU and Baylor if they win out.
I have not forgotten that horrible loss in September. I don't make excuses. That said, the media seems to be more than happy to make all kinds of excuses for our loss and Oregon' loss, citing injury and improved play since. Since when does that stuff matter? Every team faces injury and adversity.

As a fan, I'll take it if the media pushes us into the playoff. But I wouldn't feel good about pushing out a more deserving team should MSU win out. My hope is that FSU finds a way to lose a game.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I agree on OSU, the football gods need that northern school in their playoff for their ratings and revenues.
I think there's a bit more to it than that (though that's part of it, no doubt).

In terms of on-field merit, the VT loss is mitigated a bit, not by the strength of VT (who is quite bad), but because it was essentially the first action for the QB, who has since turned into an absolute star player at the position. I don't think there is really anyone out there who doesn't believe Ohio State would take down VT with ease had that game been played late in the season, for example.

And for the Committee, if the status quo holds up (and we all know it won't, but we'll assume it anyway for argument sake), picking Ohio State helps them tremendously in two ways: (1) It avoids the criticism and backlash that will invariably come from taking two SEC teams (including one of which that is a traditional bottom feeder, which didn't win its own division, and which had a laughable OOC schedule), and (2) It allows the Committee to avoid making a hard choice between 11-1 co-champions from the Big 12.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I think there's a bit more to it than that (though that's part of it, no doubt).

In terms of on-field merit, the VT loss is mitigated a bit, not by the strength of VT (who is quite bad), but because it was essentially the first action for the QB, who has since turned into an absolute star player at the position. I don't think there is really anyone out there who doesn't believe Ohio State would take down VT with ease had that game been played late in the season, for example.

And for the Committee, if the status quo holds up (and we all know it won't, but we'll assume it anyway for argument sake), picking Ohio State helps them tremendously in two ways: (1) It avoids the criticism and backlash that will invariably come from taking two SEC teams (including one of which that is a traditional bottom feeder, which didn't win its own division, and which had a laughable OOC schedule), and (2) It allows the Committee to avoid making a hard choice between 11-1 co-champions from the Big 12.
This is one of the better takes on the playoffs I have read anywhere. Kudos, BET.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I will be SHOCKED if CDM doesn't strike while the iron is hot.

I guess the thing we're waiting to see.....who all is hiring? I doubt he's florida's man. Who else is gonna be looking? And would msu actually be a better job than some of the others? Wait and see, I guess.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
Re: This had to be MSU's year, and they know it...

If Dak stays, then I don't see them being that bad next year- Dak and De'Runnya will put up some points one way or another. They won't be a contender like this year, but they won't be a bottom feeder either.

In regards to the posts on FSU and hoping they lose, wouldn't we rather them keep winning? IMO, I'd rather play FSU than OSU, Baylor, TCU, etc. FSU just isn't dangerous to me like some of the other potential teams that could get in the top 4 with an FSU loss...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: This had to be MSU's year, and they know it...

In regards to the posts on FSU and hoping they lose, wouldn't we rather them keep winning? IMO, I'd rather play FSU than OSU, Baylor, TCU, etc. FSU just isn't dangerous to me like some of the other potential teams that could get in the top 4 with an FSU loss...
FSU will be ranked 2nd or 3rd if they get in, and they will lose that game, so it would not help Alabama. Alabama will not get to throttle them.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.