This had (has) to be MSU's year, and they know it...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I knew they had a lot of upperclassmen, but after seeing this I honestly wonder if Mullen doesn't leave, if given the opportunity...

Depth chart from Rivals from earlier this season (seniors in bold):

OFFENSE
QB- Prescott (Junior)
RB- Perkins (Senior)
WR- Morrow (Junior)
WR- Johnson (Senior)
WR- Lewis (Senior)
TE- Johnson (Senior)
OT- Clausell (Senior)
OT- Siddoway (Senior)
OG- Jackson (Senior)
OG- Beckwith (Senior)
C- Day (Senior)

DEFENSE
DE- Brown (Junior)
DE- Autrey (Senior)
DT- Eulls (Senior)
DT- Jones (Senior)
LB- Skinner (Senior)
LB- Wells (Senior)
LB- McKinney (Senior)

CB- Jiles (Sophmore)
CB- Calhoun (Junior)
S- Market (Senior)
S- Whitley (Junior)

They're losing their entire offensive line - ask tennessee how easy that is to overcome...

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Re: This had to be MSU's year, and they know it...

Wow! He would be smart to get out while the getting is good if he ever dreams of getting a better job. If they love him though he could stay forever. There isn't near the pressure at State as there would be at a higher profile job.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

Oh wow! Count on to that Prescott probably leaves a year early, and you lose 10 of 11 on offense and 7 on defense. Not many teams can recover from only returning 5 total starters.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

They only have one player on that list that isn't eligible for the draft right now unless he's a RS sophomore. Their experience is the main reason I don't really understand the talk for Dan Mullen. They had a similar roster when they came to Tuscaloosa 7-0 in 2012. How'd that work out?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I thought the same when it was 7? Seniors on the defense?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

They only have one player on that list that isn't eligible for the draft right now unless he's a RS sophomore. Their experience is the main reason I don't really understand the talk for Dan Mullen. They had a similar roster when they came to Tuscaloosa 7-0 in 2012. How'd that work out?
I dunno, he has consistently won at the school with worst winning percentage of time in the SEC and has done it at a time the SEC has been by far stronger as whole than it ever has been.

I'm not saying he's the great, but he's pretty good. I have to believe he'd do pretty good at a school with elite talent.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I dunno, he has consistently won at the school with worst winning percentage of time in the SEC and has done it at a time the SEC has been by far stronger as whole than it ever has been.
Take away this season (the outlier) and Mullen's record at MSU is 56%. I mean, yah, it's a winning record overall, but hardly noteworthy, even considering it's MSU.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Oh wow! Count on to that Prescott probably leaves a year early, and you lose 10 of 11 on offense and 7 on defense. Not many teams can recover from only returning 5 total starters.
I'm not sure Prescott leaves this year unless he just wants to get out before next year's inexperinced supporting cast hits the field. Has anybody heard any draft projections on him? I'm not sure he'd be drafted in the first couple of rounds.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'm not sure Prescott leaves this year unless he just wants to get out before next year's inexperinced supporting cast hits the field. Has anybody heard any draft projections on him? I'm not sure he'd be drafted in the first couple of rounds.
I'm not sure he'd be drafted at all. Not a slight against him, but he does NOT have an NFL arm. At all.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

These guys might not beat itawamba JC next year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree with the premise of the thread, but I would exchange had with has because they are still alive. They know what they face next year - a complete overhaul. I just don't know if they are going to be able to beat Ole Miss on the road.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I knew they had a lot of upperclassmen, but after seeing this I honestly wonder if Mullen doesn't leave, if given the opportunity...

Depth chart from Rivals from earlier this season (seniors in bold):

OFFENSE
QB- Prescott (Junior)
RB- Perkins (Senior)
WR- Morrow (Junior)
WR- Johnson (Senior)
WR- Lewis (Senior)
TE- Johnson (Senior)
OT- Clausell (Senior)
OT- Siddoway (Senior)
OG- Jackson (Senior)
OG- Beckwith (Senior)
C- Day (Senior)

DEFENSE
DE- Brown (Junior)
DE- Autrey (Senior)
DT- Eulls (Senior)
DT- Jones (Senior)
LB- Skinner (Senior)
LB- Wells (Senior)
LB- McKinney (Senior)

CB- Jiles (Sophmore)
CB- Calhoun (Junior)
S- Market (Senior)
S- Whitley (Junior)

They're losing their entire offensive line - ask tennessee how easy that is to overcome...
I thought Prescott would come back, but losing the entire offensive line may make his decision for him.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Reminded me of Auburn's season with Cam Newton but I didn't realize just how many seniors MSU has on the offensive and defensive lines. This is another thing that makes the SEC so tough; there seems to be one or two of the "lesser" programs having an exceptional team every season. Even the top level programs have peaks and valleys.

MSU cannot compete every year for the SEC but they can redshirt and stack their experienced players as well as add some highly rated recruits along with some players that turn out to be better than their resume. This creates the "perfect storm" every few years for any given team.

For some of the programs, it takes a "perfect storm" in the opposite direction for them to have a bad season (e.g. LSU this year).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.