November 18 (week 4) CFP poll released

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I like this. As the new number 1, the target is on your backs again. It's on FSU's too, being the defending national champion. While Oregon stays at 2, not moving up in a bye week and flying under the radar. Still with something left to prove to shut the critics up. Less chance for ego stoking and complacency to set in. Also, hopefully tOSU is left out of the playoffs.​

You do realize that being #1 is nothing new for Alabama...right?

We always have a target on our back.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Does anyone know where I can order my tinfoil hat? I would prefer one with a nice script "A". And a houndstooth lining...

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I would be surprised if we are not #1 in the AP poll next week.

A lot of writers are adopting the CFP ranking logic as they want their own polls to be what the committee will do.

A few might not have the stomach to change their #1's based off of a win over Western Carolina, but I still think enough will come for the #1 ranking.

Then expect a number more to come after Auburn.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree - consider the MSU game. MSU was ranked #1 and Alabama #5, but everyone EXPECTED Alabama to win that game. It is the expectations that cause teams to crumble, but Alabama has faced that in every game for 6 seasons. Crazy, but Alabama was under more pressure to win that game than MSU, but it was MSU that crumbled.
and this is one of the reasons that i am not worried about any of our remaining games, including the two in the playoff :)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Re: Week 4 CFP poll released

it comes in the package along with the :biga: window decal when you give $40 to the alumni association ;)
So that's how it works. A package deal. Does it come with instructions for the super secret REC handshake and a Nick Saban Recruiting decoder ring or is that like a "deluxe package"?

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'd be curious to see if FSU wins out, they'd be ahead of us in the BCS, assuming we win out too. Call me crazy, but an undefeated team in a major conference should be higher than a one loss team. I know we've played tougher opponents than FSU and they've basically played a lot of mediocre teams, but there's something to be said for winning them all.
That aspect worries me a fair bit. The problem is, they can kind of flip that on a team at any given moment. If there were several undefeated teams, then FSU probably should be the lowest ranked of the major conference undefeated teams. I do however, question if one loss teams should jump them.

For one, we don't know what the justification is. Are they giving Alabama and Oregon a mulligan due to the injuries? Or, is it simply because of the SoS (I'd hate for it to be because of injuries)? The other thing, is you have to give the undefeated team a benefit of a doubt. For instance, you have to assume that had FSU played Miss. State or Arizona, that they beat them. That might not be likely, but by not losing FSU earns the right say they could have won those games.

I think we can kind of toss out the notion that quality wins are the main factor, since FSU has two quality (top 25) wins, which is actually more than Alabama, and Oregon has 3 quality wins if I counted those correctly. But, FSU actually can finish relatively strong, with Boston College, Florida, and likely Georgia Tech. We'll see what they do in their final rankings, but I'm not sure I like the idea that FSU likely stays behind Oregon.

Last edited:

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I guess the committee knows what everyone else does:

Alabama is the best team in the nation.

Now, we all know this is not a perfect team, but I would never bet against 'em. RTR

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Committee
Bama
FSU
Oregon
Miss St
TCU
Ohio St
Baylor
Ole Miss
UCLA
Georgia

BCS Formula
1 Alabama
2 Florida State
3 Oregon
4 Mississippi State
5 Baylor
6 TCU
7 Ohio State
8 Ole Miss
9 Georgia
10 UCLA
FSU and Oregon are reversed in your post. Oregon is #2 and FSU is #3

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I continue to be impressed by the fairness of the committee. I would have been fine with being #1 or #2 but FSU should be behind both Oregon and Bama. That's the right call and honestly MSU could be #3 and FSU #4.

I really want to hear the conspiracy theorists this week. They jump us to #1 AND keep MSU in at #4.

They were under NO obligation to not drop them to #5 or #6 and put OSU and or TCU/Baylor ahead of them now.

Give me a break with the 'they are just setting MSU up to be jumped' ridiculous paranoia.
It's easy too be "fair" when it doesn't count. We'll see how "fair" they are in a few weeks. ;)

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I don't like the committee, and ranking an undefeated team at #3 is part of that equation. Granted, the BCS would have FSU at #2, but that's largely due to Alabama's ridiculously high SoS. This does match up with my contention that if Alabama won out, no matter what, they were in. I'd still prefer Ole Miss to be undefeated (the injuries really took them out of the equation), and that way Alabama could avoid the SECCG, but as it stands Alabama has a tough path ahead that will pad their SoS plenty. Hard to imagine them not being top seed if they win out, based on how the committee is doing things.

Of course, we might want to cheer for Ole Miss, because I'm not that into the idea of playing Miss. State again.
If we win out, we remain in the catbird seat. Miss State is a different situation all together. I still contend that the committee will have too much pressure to spread the wealth and not allow two SEC teams in the final four. It is just an opinion, but this committee selection process will get great wrath if two from this conference make it. Makes no difference how deserving that second SEC team happens to be.

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois

Trust me, I know - I live amongst the worst fan base in the nation. OSU fans are delusional.
My wife was one of these fans when we first met. She didn't think any other teams existed outside the B1G. We celebrated our 4-year anniversary by attending the Bama/Miss State game this weekend. She still loves her Buckeyes.... but now is "process-cynical" after watching how CNS conducts his team all these years. She is uber critical about her team now, saying they aren't doing enough, lack discipline, "CNS wouldn't allow that crap to go on" lol as she says.... Been a long journey for that little buckeye fan.... but it was hard to find a fan cheering for the Tide harder than she was on Saturday night.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

What this means - If Alabama and MSU both win out, there will be 2 SEC teams in the playoff. MSU has to beat Ole Miss on the road to do that, and they won't be hurt by playing Vandy since they are an SEC school. That would trump anything that any of the teams sitting just outside of the "final 4" are capable of doing in the last few games of the season.

Hate it that my Buckeyes are on the outside looking in, but there is still hope. I think that we might sneak into the playoff if we win out and MSU loses to Ole Miss. We might still need help from KSU at that point, but hope lives.
If Wisconsin beats Ohio State, there will be no B1G team in the playoffs.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

FWIW, after the conference championship games are played, I think OSU jumps into the 4. My belief is the final will be Bama, Ducks, Criminals, Buckeyes.
I sort of agree, but I'm not sure tOSU can beat Wisconsin. However, maybe their defense can stop Gordon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.