November 18 (week 4) CFP poll released

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Re: Week 4 CFP poll released

All around terrible game. Uninspired play. Severe o-line injuries (more than just Fisher, the lineman everyone talks about). Stupid penalties (one of our players ran to the center of the field and bowed to the crowd after a critical 4th quarter, 3rd down stop that allowed them to continue the drive and score, when they would have been forced to punt; officials taking all the fun out of the game). And pink helmets.
That's what did it....;)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Remember all the hate from the "we don't need a repeat" game a few years ago? It was what killed the BCS. The committee will use some loophole to drop MSU to 5, because a repeat game, or 2 SEC teams playing for the national championship, was what CFP was specifically set up to avoid. Their goal is a slate of teams from 4 different conferences.

To me, right now it looks like: Alabama - Oregon - FSU - Ohio State
Assuming Miss St doesn't stay in (which they should really), you really think they'll take a Big 10 champion over a Big 12 "true champion" (TCU/Baylor) -- is the extra game that important?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

The PAC 12 is not far behind the SEC. For me, it's hands down the second best conference. Remember we have the SEC east which is not very good (All the talk about UGA drives me crazy). The SEC West is the strength of the conference. No doubt that Oregon is the best team in your conference. This year it's not even close. Just like OM was a fluke day for Bama the same was true for Arizona and Oregon. (Seriously how did you guys let a defense led by a guy named Scooby stop you?)

Remember Bama , MSU, OM, LSU do not play in the SEC EAST. Oregon does play in the PAC12 North. Tennessee might finish second in the PAC12 north. Think Bama would be unbeaten if every conference game wasn't an epic slugfest? Even the bad conference teams we play, UF And UT have NFL draft picks.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I don't think that is entirely true. They do a good job with the Aflac commercial!
I like having the guy here, bless his heart. He belongs in the south; it's not his fault he's an Oregon fan. He just has no one to talk football with up in that corner of the U.S. Plus, a Buckeye is allowed to wander in and out of here and I've sort of grown fond of seeing his comments. It gives us insight into the football played in foreign lands.
If he would stop with the backhanded compliments, At times, He likes to bait people to get a response. Don't they call that trolling? We have had posters from other teams that were great and offered a different opinion. Some of the OU posters were fantastic, until the Stoops comments and the Sugar bowl soured things a little. The OSU and UF guys are terrific. Heck, most of the banned LSU guys were great contributors, just a few ruined it for all in that fan base.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

We've got bigger things immediately in front of us to really be worrying about this but I'm kind of concerned about a rematch with State in the semis if everything goes chalk down the stretch.

They sorta figured out that they needed to work the ball underneath in the passing game in the second half because our corners were better than they expected at defending the deep passes. I think some of their success was due to dead legs after two tough weeks on the defense, but there were some seeds for a decent rematch gameplan. It is always tougher to beat a quality team after you've shown your hand. Remember how we play action bootlegged LSU to death in the 2012 BCSCG? We figured out how they were keying on us and attacked it early and often on the perimeter in the rematch.

The rest of the nation wants to avoid an SEC final but I kind of think it is a disservice to the two SEC teams to make them play a second SECCG for the national championship spot. Wasn't the idea to get more variety...create a Ducks v. Tide matchup...Buckeyes/Clanga v. Florida State...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

fwiw, I'd still say Alabama would be about 7.0-7.5 favorite on a neutral field against State. If we can gut out Auburn and the East champ over the next 3 weeks, you'd have to think that the tailback position will be pretty healthy by the time the semis come around.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Let's assume we all win out, Miss state and Alabama... bama goes to SEC championship... we're sitll ranked 1. Miss state could get passed by Ohio State or Baylor. Why? Conference Championship matters. So Ohio State is in real good spot right now. So don't worry about MIss state situation just yet. we'll deal with them when it happens...

We've got bigger things immediately in front of us to really be worrying about this but I'm kind of concerned about a rematch with State in the semis if everything goes chalk down the stretch.

They sorta figured out that they needed to work the ball underneath in the passing game in the second half because our corners were better than they expected at defending the deep passes. I think some of their success was due to dead legs after two tough weeks on the defense, but there were some seeds for a decent rematch gameplan. It is always tougher to beat a quality team after you've shown your hand. Remember how we play action bootlegged LSU to death in the 2012 BCSCG? We figured out how they were keying on us and attacked it early and often on the perimeter in the rematch.

The rest of the nation wants to avoid an SEC final but I kind of think it is a disservice to the two SEC teams to make them play a second SECCG for the national championship spot. Wasn't the idea to get more variety...create a Ducks v. Tide matchup...Buckeyes/Clanga v. Florida State...

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004

I had an interesting observation.... Last week I noticed that UCLA had the biggest jump...something like 10 spaces. Then the Committee was talking about best top 25 teams that have been won as a factor. It made me wonder if they are using the rankings on the latter tiers to boost what they are doing in the top four.

Now this week we see Minnesota lost but kept their 25th ranking... (giving Ohio State another "top 25" win) Also I noticed yesterday that UCLA moved up some more and also Utah -(losers to Oregon-Arizona state and Washington state moved up in the ranks again. 17!!! Lastly I finally heard someone on tv say something about the fact they could use thier ranking of the lowers teams to justify anything they want to do in the top four. meanwhile A&M and LSU are out of the top 25. any thoughts?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Their theory has me perplexed.... Colorado state, and Marshall is not ranked. USC Missouri Oklhoma was not ranked last week but is now ranked this week. USC moved up to no. 19 against 5-5 team. Clemson who lost real bad only dropped 3 spots.

I had an interesting observation.... Last week I noticed that UCLA had the biggest jump...something like 10 spaces. Then the Committee was talking about best top 25 teams that have been won as a factor. It made me wonder if they are using the rankings on the latter tiers to boost what they are doing in the top four.

Now this week we see Minnesota lost but kept their 25th ranking... (giving Ohio State another "top 25" win) Also I noticed yesterday that UCLA moved up some more and also Utah -(losers to Oregon-Arizona state and Washington state moved up in the ranks again. 17!!! Lastly I finally heard someone on tv say something about the fact they could use thier ranking of the lowers teams to justify anything they want to do in the top four. meanwhile A&M and LSU are out of the top 25. any thoughts?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

If he would stop with the backhanded compliments, At times, He likes to bait people to get a response. Don't they call that trolling? We have had posters from other teams that were great and offered a different opinion. Some of the OU posters were fantastic, until the Stoops comments and the Sugar bowl soured things a little. The OSU and UF guys are terrific. Heck, most of the banned LSU guys were great contributors, just a few ruined it for all in that fan base.
That's very accurate. I actually begged and pled with them not to jump in the middle of every thread which even mentioned Miles or LSU. Hell, they even jumped in to insult Saban every chance they got, whether the thread mentioned Miles or LSU, turning every thread into a debate about LSU or Miles. They hated Saban that much. Also, they were spawning copycats, guys with 0-5 posts who read these guys and assumed our board was fair game for trash talk. I warned the worst offenders what I would have to do, if they continued. The final straw came one night when the worst offender jumped in a thread where he thought Miles was being deprecated and tried to balance the scales by insulting Saban. I warned him twice to leave the thread. Instead, he made a page-long post, justifying his position and his right to say anything he pleased on our board. I deleted it, banned him, finally having to cut off PMs, and put the notice up. We've unstuck it a couple of times, but, every time we do, they come flooding back, so it's just become part of the landscape, permanently. We don't usually discuss policy on the forums, but since this matter comes up periodically, I thought I would explain the background for our newer members...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

That's very accurate. I actually begged and pled with them not to jump in the middle of every thread which even mentioned Miles or LSU. Hell, they even jumped in to insult Saban every chance they got, whether the thread mentioned Miles or LSU, turning every thread into a debate about LSU or Miles. They hated Saban that much. Also, they were spawning copycats, guys with 0-5 posts who read these guys and assumed our board was fair game for trash talk. I warned the worst offenders what I would have to do, if they continued. The final straw came one night when the worst offender jumped in a thread where he thought Miles was being deprecated and tried to balance the scales by insulting Saban. I warned him twice to leave the thread. Instead, he made a page-long post, justifying his position and his right to say anything he pleased on our board. I deleted it, banned him, finally having to cut off PMs, and put the notice up. We've unstuck it a couple of times, but, every time we do, they come flooding back, so it's just become part of the landscape, permanently. We don't usually discuss policy on the forums, but since this matter comes up periodically, I thought I would explain the background for our newer members...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I just think the CFP committee has painted themselves into a corner. Lets assume everyone at the top wins out...heck, I still have a healthy concern for Auburn much less the potential East division opponent.

Well, what then? MSU beats the top 2-loss team on the road, OSU beats a surging Wisky in the B10CG, TCU and Baylor are in some cluster that their own conference won't even decisively fix. How does anyone jump MSU in that case? It makes no sense whatsoever...but that is likely exactly what would happen.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

That's the problem I have with the duckling. Every thread that remotely mentions then zero's even tangentially gets hijacked to be all about the ducks, the poster himself, or both. That, and he's like a professional protester who knows how to rush the police line and get just close enough to look cool for his buddies and make the cops salivate over getting to take one down but never quite crosses the point of no return. Big Tide and others blend in so well I hardly notice they are here and fans of other teams 90% of the time. Some of them occasionally have to remind us. I'd like to see a playoff or ranking discussion take the natural course it would take on a TideFans board for once without it being hijacked and overrun singlehandedly by a lone duck. Just my 2 cents and I hope I'm not out of line saying it.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

They looked overrated because of their failure to perform at a high level when they faced their first real stern test. Dropped passes everywhere. Their QB played mediocre. They were deer in the headlights the whole game. There was never the sense - not even for a second - that they really could win that game. They simply didn't play like the #1 team and the result is now they are in a more realistic place in the standings.
So general choking like Oregon does on the big stage?

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005

If we and MSU win out there will be 2 SEC teams in it!
I disagree. If the intent was to allow only the best 4 teams in the playoffs, then I believe there would be no committee and the BCS would have been retained. I know the mantra is best 4 teams, but I think history will show it is the best 4 out of 5 conference that will make the playoffs.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

Exactly. They use THEIR rankings as a tool to manipulate THEIR rankings.

Keeping Minnesota at 25 helps TCU also.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Listened to Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo while on my lunch break.

They made a point about MSU's ranking that I had not really considered. Look at the committee's rankings:

1 Alabama
2 Oregon
3 Florida State
4 Mississippi State
5 TCU
6 Ohio State
7 Baylor
8 Ole Miss
9 UCLA
10 Georgia
11 Michigan State
12 Kansas State
13 Arizona State
14 Auburn
15 Arizona
16 Wisconsin
17 Utah
18 Georgia Tech
19 USC
20 Missouri
21 Oklahoma
22 Clemson
23 Nebraska
24 Louisville
25 Minnesota

The top three are in the playoff as long as they win out. The fourth spot is the remaining question. Look at the remaining opponents for teams four through seven.

4. MSU
Vanderbilt
@ #8 Ole Miss

5. TCU
@ Texas
@ Iowa State

6. Ohio State
Indiana
Michigan
B1G Championship Game (presumably #16 Wisconsin)

7. Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
#12 K-State

SVP and Ryen's point - State already has the #4 spot. What game remaining on the schedule can push TCU, Ohio State, Baylor past them since MSU has to go to Oxford to beat the #8 team?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

SVP and Ryen's point - State already has the #4 spot. What game remaining on the schedule can push TCU, Ohio State, Baylor past them since MSU has to go to Oxford to beat the #8 team?
That is the point that I made last night in this thread and most here disagreed. Most here seem to think that the committee will value an extra win in a conference championship game over a great win over Ole Miss. Of course, that all falls apart if Ole Miss loses this week in Arkansas. Then, with 3 losses, Ole Miss would drop back into the pack and look far less impressive.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.