Question: If we beat Auburn, will they replace Gus?

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
If Auburn fires Gus now, they will have a hard time getting any quality coach to replace him for a long time to come. Who would want to go to Auburn if they had absolutely no job security, even if they had a winning record?
Job security is terrible, but the severance packages are nice.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not this year, nope.

Seriously - they still have fans who honestly believe Gus is a better offensive coach than Saban and Smart are defensive coaches. They literally say that.
What he said. Gus will wrangle a pay increase due to his comments about the Florida job, secure his buyout and fire Ellis Johnson. 8-4 and a fairly decent bowl game will keep the masses at bay for this year, but they will expect bigger things next year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No, they will not fire him even if they lose the Iron Bowl, 49-14. I mean, they didn't fire him the LAST TIME he lost the Iron Bowl, 49-14.

It is entirely possible he may want to get out of town while the getting is good, to ca$h in, to "strike while the iron is hot" a la Dennis Fran-phony.

However, I would caution this: if we win YET ANOTHER national championship this year, the seat starts getting a tad bit warm. Fact is that Auburn pretty well lucked into their 11-2 year last year, they were about a 7-5 team. And this year? Not only do they probably lose at least four games but consider the fact they got monumentally lucky against Kansas St and especially against Ole Miss. Auburn is basically two plays from a 6-6 season and a nice little sojourn to Shreveport.

I've pointed out on this board multiple times before: Auburn coaches that show up and start winning early on create delusional expectations that they're never able to live up to. Keep in mind this is a school that fired a guy two years after he won a national title and went and hired his right-hand man as the new coach.

Ellis Johnson will be the fall guy. But when is the last time Auburn had a minimally competent defense? The worst thing that could have happened to them is winning the title with no defense because it created a false idea that that can easily be done. Auburn got every break its way in both 2010 and 2013; heck, they got a couple their way this year or they'd really be in trouble.

Meanwhile, back at the hacienda, Colin Cowherd is hoping nobody brings up his inane prediction of consecutive national titles and Malzahn owning Saban, Roll Tide.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
If he beats Bama this year, he gets a raise, and all the talk of his brilliance is right back on top. If he loses to Bama, he still has the barners in a wait till next year hope. Now if he puts together a couple of bad years it will be different, but ol Gus has a lot in the bank with barners right now.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
they will not fire him until he has a 3-9 year.
Tommy Tubberville says hi. I didn't like the guy, but he did everything they could have realistically hoped (including that long winning streak against Alabama), yet he goes 5-7 and he's out of there. Nevermind the fact that he won 20 games in the two seasons before that. Firing a guy who beat your main rival several years in a row, and also took you to 8 straight bowl games showed how they deal with their head coaches.

I'm not a fan of Chizik and generally agreed with the logic of getting rid of him, but he goes 8-5, 14-0 (NC), 8-5 and 3-9. If a national championship doesn't even buy you two years of job safety, what does?

Look at Terry Bowden, he goes undefeated his first year there, he never does worse than 8 wins in a full season, and he knows to get out of there before his final season is even over.

By contrast, DuBose goes 4-7 and then 7-5, Shula goes 4-9 and 6-6 and both those guys got raises. I'm not saying the raises were a good idea, but clearly Auburn has a crazy short leash for their head coaches and if I was coaching there, I'd take the next high paying gig I could get.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Uh, no. Gus is secure in his job one year removed from a national championship runner up. Auburn goes 9-4 after winning their bowl game? If he leaves, its for greener pastures. I personally don't think he's been there long enough to prove whether or not he's really a good head coach at this level. If you can consistently go 9-4, 10-3 in the SEC plus bowl game and battling Alabama, Florida, Georgia and LSU for recruits, you're doing something. It's not a knock on Auburn but the other schools are "State" schools and have a little more prestige than AU.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is a joke right? The season they had last year... was supposed to be this year. What they're experiencing this year was supposed to be last year. It's a reverse trend, The team is moving in right direction, but for some reason they're going through grow and pain at unusual time... They're not going to fire Gus... I think he's safe for 2-3 years... before they consider letting him go. As far as Ellis Johnson, I don't think he'll get fired... but he definitely will have to look at defensive scheme and make it work. i think The team will be better next year.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think Bama embarrasses Auburn en route to a NC, Next year the barn goes 4-9 and then they can Gus. Heard it here first

Last edited:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Not this year, nope.

Seriously - they still have fans who honestly believe Gus is a better offensive coach than Saban and Smart are defensive coaches. They literally say that.
That being said the fired chizik a year after bringing home the championship. It was an awful season he had......but still. Auburn is not known for loyalty if it's not winning

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Gussie won't get the boot this year by any means. But, it is safe to say that the honeymoon is OVER. Next season will tell the story of just how good of a head coach he really is. He won with chizik's players last year. This year has been a mix of both his and chizik's players, and the results have been less than stellar. And next year, everybody recruited from the last regime will have cycled out of there. Then, the real story will be revealed. He could bounce back, sure. But, he could go the same way Terry Bowden went. As soon as Bowden ran out of Dye's recruits, the bottom fell out.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Why do we keep having threads about the barn yet people here make fun of them saying they obsess over Bama and are always talking about us. At least keep it game related things and not stuff that won't happen and does not matter till end of the year.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
That being said the fired chizik a year after bringing home the championship. It was an awful season he had......but still. Auburn is not known for loyalty if it's not winning
They fired Chizik after the 2012 season. His Championship was at the end of 2010. So, they gave him 2 years, but I still agree... quite a short leash on their coaches. The one that shocks me to this day is Tubberville.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The one who will benefit the most from Gus's issues with players.. will be Chizik's. It'll tell us who is better recuiter, The issues between Chizik and Gus are smiilar...

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
One could speculate he knows of things that went on in recruiting dating back to Chizik's days such that they could never fire him unless things got REALLY bad and it was worth paying him Terry Bowden hush money.

I'd love to see it happen. If everyone has figured out how to defend his four-play offense and they lose 5 games next year, and they keep him, it sure would lend credence to such theories.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I think this is a little premature, I think the deciding factor will be how his own team of recruits and his coaches get them ready will decide this.Look at Terry Bowdens First yr then his next two.Same with Tubbs.It takes a while for them too put their own stamp on a Team.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I think there is absolutely zero chance of that even being brought up for discussion by Auburn. I think they will seriously look at changing D coordinators but firing Malzahn will absolutely not happen.
This is exactly the case. Was listening to radio yesterday and some barner journalist came on discussing the state of barner football. The Auburn nation is still very much in support of Malzahn and their offense, and questioning what they need to do on defense to shore up their ability to compete. I expect a new D coordinator in the offseason. There's one such candidate a few hundred miles to the southeast who just became available a few days ago.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.