Opinions on how long Lane Kiffin stay at Bama

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
No question in my mind that we need to run more than we do, but the problem is we just don't have the dominant line to run at will. I do think we pass to set up the run, not the other way around. When we get leads we have to run some clock which we have been less than effective doing. I think CLK has taken what the defense has given us and most teams have dared us to pass believeing Blake couldn't beat them with his passing. Most have been wrong. Blake has lead this team to where we are with Kiffin's assitance, but the credit belongs to Blake himself.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I am a 3 yards and cloud of dust fan..but to be critical of the "pass happy" offense is not fair or accurate. I have read many articles, including on this board, that during the LSU game several run plays were checked to pass at the LOS. I think CLK is doing an outstanding job mixing it up and especially scheming the defenses.
Don't overlook the fact that the box has been stacked to stop or limit our runs. Teams didn't believe that Blake could throw against them.
Teams also thought their Defenders could play single coverage on our best receiver. Guess they were wrong. Teams were expecting more 'Deer in the headlight looks' while Sims ran for his life. Teams believed our Defense wasn't strong enough to protect Sim. Wrong again, our Defense grew into a pretty good unit.

Coach Kiffin stepped into a great position to chill out and learn from the best. I was surprised at his hiring, but I've been pleasantly surprised at his ability to call the right plays. IMO: CLK has done a good job, and is now in a position to wait for a plum job, not taking a desperation job.
IMO: Having Coach Kiffin on the sidelines has been a difference maker for Blake Sims.

I was raised on 3 yards and a cloud of dust... HOWEVER: The game has changed. We have changed with it. Had too.
It makes little sense to continue to try to pound em up the middle, when we face Defenses with 8 in the box.
Did I mention we lost one RB to a broken leg, didn't help that he was a speedster.
Lest we forget our #1 RB has been hampered with injuries.

A horse and buggy Offense will have problems when they are handicapped. Not to say that if we were healthy in all our RB positions, we could have told em where we were going and still been moderately successful. We didn't have that option.

Lane Kiffin is in a position to rehab his reputation, just by making nice and winning games.
Our low key policies for our coaches works to their advantage.
My best guess is two more years at Alabama for Lane.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
While I am a run first to set up the pass devotee; our OL the past two years has not always been conducive to that philosophy for whatever reason, coaching, lack of talent, poor development, etc. As others have said SEC defenses, especially this year, have the opinion that make an inexperienced QB beat them with his arm, and to do this they will stop the run. Fortunately the passing game and Blake's development have bailed us out on more than one occasion. Going into next year however we will need to step up our OL play with another inexperienced QB under center.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Les Miles to Michigan
Kirby Smart to LSU
Lane Kiffin to Florida
Muschamp to Bama
Saban plugs in another O/C

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Les Miles to Michigan
Kirby Smart to LSU
Lane Kiffin to Florida
Muschamp to Bama
Saban plugs in another O/C
1. No that bridge has been burned twice
2. No
3. You serious?
4. That's a maybe, but I doubt he takes anything less than a dc job so it will probably depend on Kirby
5. To each their own, but clk back we will be more stable

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I think Lane is a great offensive mind. I said when he was signed, I may have some opinions on his character personally, but he solidifies Bama as having the best coaching staff in the country. Best Head Coach, Best Offensive Coordinator, and possibly Defensive coordinator. Best recruiters at each position too.

I think he's a great QB developer, known to be a good playcaller, but... there are times where he shoots the offense in the foot with his playcalling. He's done that at Alabama, and was known for it too in many USC losses. I do buy into the idea that our O line is better at pass than run, but we usually are able to figure it out on that front by the time we're this far into the year. I love Kiffin's work in terms of the balance of our offense, but there are times where it just calls for you to run the ball, and establish it first and foremost. Specifically in the red zone. It's my only issue with him on the field.

Furthermore. Kiffin has left a bad taste in peoples mouth's from Oakland, to Tennessee and around the SEC, to USC...Kiffin coming to Bama was more about his image than anything. He wants to be able to say he learned with the best, and won with the best, and will coach like the best. He wants to do that at a big time program. Some of you all may be able to buy into the idea that he's worthy of a big time head coaching position, but I doubt anyone in power will. I couldn't see Florida per se, giving him a ring. If they wanted him, they'd have him. I couldn't see him getting a call from even a mid level program right now. Not because people don't think he can coach, but he has rubbed many of them the wrong way, and who would want to just hand over their program to him? He could be hired on as anyone's offensive coordinator, even in the NFL for some teams, but I can't see a big time power 5 team picking him up as a head coach until he proves himself at Bama for a few years, and they think Saban has really rubbed off on him.

We'll see....

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Lane is a great offensive mind. I said when he was signed, I may have some opinions on his character personally, but he solidifies Bama as having the best coaching staff in the country. Best Head Coach, Best Offensive Coordinator, and possibly Defensive coordinator. Best recruiters at each position too.

I think he's a great QB developer, known to be a good playcaller, but... there are times where he shoots the offense in the foot with his playcalling. He's done that at Alabama, and was known for it too in many USC losses. I do buy into the idea that our O line is better at pass than run, but we usually are able to figure it out on that front by the time we're this far into the year. I love Kiffin's work in terms of the balance of our offense, but there are times where it just calls for you to run the ball, and establish it first and foremost. Specifically in the red zone. It's my only issue with him on the field.

Furthermore. Kiffin has left a bad taste in peoples mouth's from Oakland, to Tennessee and around the SEC, to USC...Kiffin coming to Bama was more about his image than anything. He wants to be able to say he learned with the best, and won with the best, and will coach like the best. He wants to do that at a big time program. Some of you all may be able to buy into the idea that he's worthy of a big time head coaching position, but I doubt anyone in power will. I couldn't see Florida per se, giving him a ring. If they wanted him, they'd have him. I couldn't see him getting a call from even a mid level program right now. Not because people don't think he can coach, but he has rubbed many of them the wrong way, and who would want to just hand over their program to him? He could be hired on as anyone's offensive coordinator, even in the NFL for some teams, but I can't see a big time power 5 team picking him up as a head coach until he proves himself at Bama for a few years, and they think Saban has really rubbed off on him.

We'll see....
No comment, other than I think he's done a very good job to this point.
sip

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

We'll see....
If I were the AD at Florida, he would be one of the TOP candidates on my list. I do hope he stays at Alabama at least until Coach Saban is ready for him to leave.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.