Opinions on how long Lane Kiffin stay at Bama

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think the run game issues are on Kiffin. We're dinged up at tailback, had some injuries at the two most important OL positions, and struggled to find someone to lock down RG. I've faulted him for thinking pass too much lately but it may be by design. We're just not a very good rushing unit right now. While everyone else in the media is heaping on accolades and penciling us into the playoffs, I'm still very concerned about the rest of the season.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
good grief....
If a lot of folks here would place the same demand for perfection on themselves, rather than on our football team and coaches, they'd graduate from minimum wage to CEO's.
Kiffin's an "Idiot"???
Ridiculous.
sip

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't know... It has to be something in their coffee they're drinking each morning.
good grief....
If a lot of folks here would place the same demand for perfection on themselves, rather than on our football team and coaches, they'd graduate from minimum wage to CEO's.
Kiffin's an "Idiot"???
Ridiculous.
sip

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think Lane stays another year and learns from the best like Mario has done. They will both be excellent head coaches again soon at some level.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think hey stays a minimum of 1 more year. After that, who knows. I think his move would be to move to HC of an under the radar program (like McElwain) and hone his HC ability and apply what he's learned here. He's young, so he shouldn't rush to try and land the next big gig.

As far as some of the other comments - dang! He doesn't always run the offense they way I'd like to see it run, but the dude has a knack for calling the right plays at the right time.

And cut him some slack. Previous OC's had 4 NFL caliber linemen blocking, an NFL caliber QB and a stable of healthy NFL caliber RBs. Kiffin doesn't have these same advantages. Maybe 1 NFL caliber lineman (who is a true freshman, BTW), a QB who was spent his first 3 years on campus as a RB (that he has turned into the 11th rated passer in the country), and 1 RB out for the season and his starting RB dinged up. All this and we manage to be 4th in total offense in the conference and rank #1 in the nation.

I'd say he's done pretty dad gum good!

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Two more years, plus he'll wait for a good program. I don't see him going to a mid-major unless he's desperate, and I think it'll be more than two years before he gets desperate.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The things Kiffin has done with Sims and Cooper are commendable. If the OL and tailbacks get healthy and dialed in, we could be scary on offense again.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I think hey stays a minimum of 1 more year. After that, who knows. I think his move would be to move to HC of an under the radar program (like McElwain) and hone his HC ability and apply what he's learned here. He's young, so he shouldn't rush to try and land the next big gig.

As far as some of the other comments - dang! He doesn't always run the offense they way I'd like to see it run, but the dude has a knack for calling the right plays at the right time.

And cut him some slack. Previous OC's had 4 NFL caliber linemen blocking, an NFL caliber QB and a stable of healthy NFL caliber RBs. Kiffin doesn't have these same advantages. Maybe 1 NFL caliber lineman (who is a true freshman, BTW), a QB who was spent his first 3 years on campus as a RB (that he has turned into the 11th rated passer in the country), and 1 RB out for the season and his starting RB dinged up. All this and we manage to be 4th in total offense in the conference and rank #1 in the nation.

I'd say he's done pretty dad gum good!
Lane has done an outstanding job...especially with Blake Sims. I don't see him leaving real soon unless a pretty good situation comes along. If McElwain is hired away from Colorado State, he could be a candidate there.

Crimsissippi

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 11, 2014
Oxford or Ocean Springs, MS
I think Lane stays a while, 2 years at the least. He has learned what taking the wrong job or taking a job when you're not ready for it can do to a career, and lucky for him he found Saban to help him save and begin to rejuvenate his. It's going to take the right job for him to leave, and don't think for a second he won't look for Coach Sabans opinion on any offer that comes his way.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I am a 3 yards and cloud of dust fan..but to be critical of the "pass happy" offense is not fair or accurate. I have read many articles, including on this board, that during the LSU game several run plays were checked to pass at the LOS. I think CLK is doing an outstanding job mixing it up and especially scheming the defenses.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I hope he stays for a couple more years. But I expect only 1 more. I really enjoy seeing him on the field. His enthusiasm and interaction with the players is awesome.

wherever he goes...I gained a lot of respect for him.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He recruited Blake Barnett, the QB from California and the best QB prospect we've recruited, probably in Saban's tenure.
Barnett is enrolling early, in order to go through spring practice.
I don't think a kid from California would enroll early, to be coached by the coach from California, who recruited him, if he thought his QB coach would be leaving anytime soon.
Ultimately, I think Kiffin's tenure at Bama is going to surprise a whole lot of people, including me.
I couldn't believe we hired him.
But he's going to be around awhile, and honestly, I'm glad.
It's like Coach Saban said, "If he's not a great coach, then why are the Tennessee fans so ....ed off that he left".
Just wait and see what happens. I'm making no predictions, other than he'll live in Tuscaloosa for more years than most here think.
sip

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
He recruited Blake Barnett, the QB from California and the best QB prospect we've recruited, probably in Saban's tenure.
Barnett is enrolling early, in order to go through spring practice.
I don't think a kid from California would enroll early, to be coached by the coach from California, who recruited him, if he thought his QB coach would be leaving anytime soon.
Ultimately, I think Kiffin's tenure at Bama is going to surprise a whole lot of people, including me.
I couldn't believe we hired him.
But he's going to be around awhile, and honestly, I'm glad.
It's like Coach Saban said, "If he's not a great coach, then why are the Tennessee fans so ....ed off that he left".
Just wait and see what happens. I'm making no predictions, other than he'll live in Tuscaloosa for more years than most here think.
sip

I hope you are right. He will be key in developing our new Quarterbacks.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I don't get why people like to mention "principles" when talking about Lane Kiffin. What did the guy do that was so wrong? Because he left Tennessee after a year to take the USC job? Anything that he has done wrong is hardly a reason to hold a grudge against the guy. Unless he does something catastrophically stupid (like anyone is capable of) I hope he stays here as long as he wants.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Geez I think some people here just can't get over the fact that kiffin was a great hire. You can dislike his past, you can dislike his offense, and you can dislike the very sight of him, but give the man some credit because our offense is 10x better than anybody on this board would've said preseason. Kiffin will stay atleast til 2016 unless a big job opens up. The biggest possibility that comes to mind for me that would go after him is Carolina firing Shula as oc and asking clk to fix it. Ironic I know, but very possible.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
but give the man some credit because our offense is 10x better than anybody on this board would've said preseason.
Broad brush you've got there.

Check the posts, I'm not the only one who thought it was a brilliant hire - I argued round and round, with stats, about how this had potential (under his guidance) to be the most prolific in Bama history based on his previous OC work.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Broad brush you've got there.

Check the posts, I'm not the only one who thought it was a brilliant hire - I argued round and round, with stats, about how this had potential (under his guidance) to be the most prolific in Bama history based on his previous OC work.
I'm sure some people saw the upside to him coming, but it seemed most only saw him only as the guy that shot off his mouth and not the guy that was the oc at USC. I'm sorry if any took offense to that statement. As far as stats correct me if I'm wrong we still are in the running to have better overall offensive productions than 10 and 11. If so that should show people how great kiffin is as an oc

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think he's done an outstanding job and let's face it, CNS is not going to hire someone he does not think can handle the job. And I have to say, I loved it when he ran down the sideline with Amari at UcheaT on the 1st offensive play. Don't you know the viles were hating that? RTR

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have no idea how long he stays 1 year or longer, but I will say this, I do not believe there is any D1 offense coordinator who could have made Blake Sims what he is besides Kiffin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.