ESPN is going hard for the Buckeyes to be included in the playoff

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ohio State deserves to be in top four

Look at this gem:

Let’s first look at those losses. Is Arizona a better loss than Virginia Tech?

Arizona is 8-2 and ranked 15th in the committee’s latest poll. Virginia Tech is 5-5 and narrowly kept its bowl chances alive with a win over Duke last week.

Look a little deeper, though, and the differences aren't nearly so stark. Aside from the win over Oregon, Arizona hasn't beaten a Power 5 team with a winning record. Its two remaining games (at Utah and vs. Arizona State) will tell us more about the Wildcats’ true worth, but they needed a late turnover from Texas-San Antonio to win on Sept. 4, escaped Nevada by just a touchdown a week later, and toppled Cal a week after that thanks to a last-second Hail Mary. Virginia Tech has played essentially as well as Arizona, but while the Wildcats have four one-score wins, the Hokies have four one-score losses.

I mean, if you really think about it Alabama doesn't have a better win than a loss to Virginia Tech. I'm sure I'm not doing the math right, but VT could win out, Arizona lose out, and Zona would still have a better record than VT while playing in a tougher conference. Like I said, I can't be right about that. :rolleyes:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I read that article earlier - stupid reasoning, IMO. Sounds like a HS kid came up with that rationale.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing is, there are some fair arguments that I'd listen to about Ohio State playing like a top four team right now. Damage controlling the VT loss by calling it essentially the same as losing to an 8-2 Arizona team is just laughable. The Buckeye argument should own the loss and instead focusing on metrics why they're one of the best today.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I believe that at the end of the day, they will put Ohio State in over Mississippi Stat if both win out. Reason being the Conference Championship game will out weigh the V-Tech loss. And, the Big-10 used to be a decent conference. JMHO. I believe if things go as planned, it will be 1- BAMA 2- Oregon 3- Florida State, and 4- Ohio State with Miss. State, TCU, and Baylor the first three out. JMHO

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Don't sleep on Ohio St, they are playing really good football right now . I think Urban's third team at OSU is much better than the B1G. They lost to VT because they had a rookie QB and were replacing 4 out of 5 on the line. Talent and coaching is there. They just needed experience . Well , this is game 11 so they have that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
If Ohio State wins out, including the B10 championship, I would have a hard time not putting them in the top 4. Even if Miss State wins out.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Ohio State wins out, including the B10 championship, I would have a hard time not putting them in the top 4. Even if Miss State wins out.
Well, if (dark lord saban forbid) Alabama loses then State, Oregon, FSU, and Ohio State is a pretty solid chance.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have advocated for Ohio State to move up to at least 5th if everyone wins out, with the acknowledgement that they should probably pass Mississippi State as well, but I wouldn't have an issue if they didn't.

They would certainly deserve to move past the Big 12 champion. But the loss to Virginia Tech is a bad one and cannot be excused away. A loss is a loss and a win is a win. If we're going to get to the point of excusing losses and overlooking wins and saying the two are essentially the same if the games are close then what is the point of playing?

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
If OSU does their part they are in ,in their remaining games I bet the officiating will be questionable if need be. Their conference needs them in and TV needs them in. And they may actually deserve to be in we will see.the stage is being set for OSU to be in the playoff.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Yes, because losing to the now number 1 team (Miss St. loss to Alabama) is better than losing to a 5-5 team. Mississippi's only actual problem is they play in the SEC West. If OSU did too, they would have 2-3 losses.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I definitely think that is where this is going. And frankly I am ok with that. The committee is essentially following the BCS formula but with emphasis on conference championships. At least that is my opinion.

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
All about the $$$. The Committee is going to spread it around as much as they can possibly justify. Despite that ugly loss to Va Tech, I think if Mississippi State, Ohio State, and Alabama win out, then Ohio State will slip past Mississippi State on Championship weekend while the Bulldogs are idle. I don't think Ohio State beating Wisconsin (?) in the Conference Championship is an easy task. My guess is the Committee will be rooting for the Rebel Black Bears to beat the Bulldogs and sort of "solve" the Mississippi State/SEC problem for them. Absent a loss by one of the current top teams, TCU and Baylor both get passed over and next year that conference adopts a championship game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I definitely think that is where this is going. And frankly I am ok with that. The committee is essentially following the BCS selection criteria but with emphasis on conference championships. At least that is my opinion.
When was there a "BCS selection criteria?"

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
I live in Ohio and there is a lot of talk about how good OSU is now. So what....I think it should be the body of work. I don't care when you lost to V. Tech the fact is you lost to them and AT HOME to boot. Bama lost to Ole Miss several weeks ago, do we dismiss that too? Ultimately though more than anything the whole schedule for OSU stinks. They beat MSU which is a nice win. Beyond that.....? Even if they beat Wisconsin so what. Wisconsin lost on a neutral field to a terrible LSU team that has FOUR losses in the SEC including one to Miss. St. at LSU. If Miss. St. wins out they tied at worst for the division lead in the best division in college football. One thing I'm curious and not sure of, do the current playoff ranking assume conference titles for teams like Alabama/Oregon/FSU/OSU or will those be figured in after the season. That could alter the landscape if figured only after the season.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Well, it's just one editorial. I wouldn't say "ESPN" is going hard for them to be included.

Having said that, I have no problem with Ohio State. They're playing better football right now than TCU or Baylor. If MSU doesn't get in, I hope OSU does. Except for the fact that I'd rather play TCU or Baylor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.