ACC Commissioner John Swofford Already Calling for 8 Team Playoff

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Four teams may not be enough for a college football playoff, according to ACC commissioner John Swofford.

Speaking at Wednesday’s weekly Durham Sports Club meeting at the Croasdaile Country Club, Swofford said an eight-team playoff, “in terms of the number of teams, would probably be ideal.”

This season marks the debut of a four-team College Football Playoff, replacing the BCS, which chose two teams for a national championship game.

“I don’t think all the controversy’s going to go away,” Swofford said of the new system. “You have four teams that get a chance to play for the national championship, which is twice as many as before, but whoever’s fifth or sixth is not going to be happy. There will be some conferences that won’t have a team in the playoff.”

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The ACC is the weakest of FIVE conferences with only FOUR spots available. Of course he wants to add more teams.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Not really understanding why The ACC commissioner is calling for an 8 team playoff, s'not like they are going to get anyone else in. I could understand if the Big 12 was lobbying more so than the ACC..

That being said, why stop at 8, why not have 16? Oh 16 is leaving out to many teams lets just have a 32 team playoff. Oh but then we are forgetting about the other guys being left out, let's just go ahead and give everyone a fight in' chance and a 64 team playoff system it is.

There's always going to be someone wanting more. The BCS was just fine the way it was. This is turning into a freaking circus awfully quick.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
This is what the money grabbers wanted all along. When it goes to 8 teams they will say whoever's 9th or 10th is not going to be happy. When will it end?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
LOL, if I recall correctly, he along with Delaney were two of the last ones to come on board for a 4 team playoff. And also, Swofford was one of the ones that made the statement that we'd never expand beyond 4.

Look. These guys are truly just as stupid as they look if they honestly thought this would make everyone happy. Yeah, whoever is 5th or 6th is going to feel left out and believe they got screwed over. So expand to 8 teams. Now whoever ends up 9th or 10th won't be happy.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
The ACC is the weakest of FIVE conferences with only FOUR spots available. Of course he wants to add more teams.
Kanell and others talk about FSU playing ND, The Citadel and a 5-5 Okie St OOC being better than the SEC teams OOC schedule.

The difference is Wake Forest, Syracuse, NCSt, Virg, BC verses MsSt, OM, Aub, Ark, aTm and LSU.

FSU should be penalized for their conference schedule.
Same thing for the big12.

Last edited:

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
8 game regular season, 64 team playoff. Champion COULD go 14-0 but what about the teams that lose in the first round? They alright with only making money on 9 games?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ironically, if you go to 8 teams you will only have more controversy over who does and doesn't get in. Think about it, with two teams, the debate largely centered around a third team and occasionally a fourth team, but most of the controversy was around a third. Now, with four teams, we are seeing the debate move out to several more teams, as every one loss team team from a power 5 conference is in the discussion. If you go to 8 teams? Well, every two loss team will be...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ironically, if you go to 8 teams you will only have more controversy over who does and doesn't get in. Think about it, with two teams, the debate largely centered around a third team and occasionally a fourth team, but most of the controversy was around a third. Now, with four teams, we are seeing the debate move out to several more teams, as every one loss team team from a power 5 conference is in the discussion. If you go to 8 teams? Well, every two loss team will be...
There will always be controversy, but an 8 team playoff would certainly require the inclusion of all of the power 5 conference winners, so the whining would be really just that - whining.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Not really understanding why The ACC commissioner is calling for an 8 team playoff, s'not like they are going to get anyone else in. I could understand if the Big 12 was lobbying more so than the ACC..
Notice how two 1-loss teams are ahead of the undefeated defending national champion? Right now, only an undefeated ACC team has a chance at getting into the playoff. If they expand to 8, then every power 5 conference gets at least one team in.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Yeah, but they're still not getting two teams in even in a good year for the ACC. Whatever a "good year" means in the ACC. He must be worried about getting one team in in a typical year.

...The BCS was just fine the way it was.
I gotta disagree with you on that.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
And where does it end? The bowl system then gets messy. I think we are a good ten years away from that happening. I do believe ultimately that each system they devise has its own life cycle but I do not see them abandoning the present system any time real soon. Money talks though so I do believe it will happen. You always hear people say....we can generally agree on who the top "x" number of teams. But frankly with eight there would be so much wrangling over the last two or three in that I do not see any number pleasing everyone. CNS said last year that "we" can generally agree on the top four but frankly I do not see much difference between TCU, Baylor and OSU or even Miss. St. for the fourth spot. But we will ultimately grow the number. I believe that was inevitable as soon as they went to the top four. It will just be an evolutionary process.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.