Is there a message being sent to the Big 12?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I enhanced my original post to better explain what I was getting at.

To elaborate, opponents' winning percentage can only be useful if it also takes into the strength of schedule of their opponents as well. For example, playing a 9-2 Northern Illinois shouldn't yield the same strength of schedule as playing a 9-2 SEC or PAC-12 team.

To be useful, opponents' winning percentage calculations should also eliminate counting any cupcake games as they greatly skew the results. Home and away also needs to be considered.

The college football season has such a small sample size with little relative crossover that it's hard to build a really good mathematical model.
I oversimplified my post but I agree with all that you are saying. I guess that gets to the crux of my pain with the selection committee. There are so many things that go into the selection so it would be nice to understand how they are arriving at the top 4 (especially in light of the small sample size). It's irritating that we are told "these are the top 4 teams" but we get no explanation as to why.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I oversimplified my post but I agree with all that you are saying. I guess that gets to the crux of my pain with the selection committee. There are so many things that go into the selection so it would be nice to understand how they are arriving at the top 4 (especially in light of the small sample size). It's irritating that we are told "these are the top 4 teams" but we get no explanation as to why.
There is no accountability for the committee. I suppose they answer to someone but I don't think they have to answer for their rankings to anyone.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Fair enough - I won't argue the point. But consider this - we hear about them every day up here. They are only about 4 hours from Columbus. They sit in our homes, eat in our restaurants and teach our children. You may have been harmed by them more, but we have to deal with their "greatness" every day. It is like having Lou Holtz as a neighbor, and he just won't leave you alone.

OSU fans were all Alabama fans last year on January 7th, even the SEC haters.
Well said. I think I would move if Lou moved in next door.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
LOL! The Big 12 does not expect to get but one team in the CFP and they address which one in their Tiebreaker Procedures. As if they would have any say in which team was selected.

3.The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the College Football Playoff.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1546006

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.