Opinions on the Possibility of Muschamp to Alabama

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Doubtful he is anything other than a HC or DC somewhere. I doubt those become openings for us this offseason.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
He wants to work next season. There's a lot of programs that would be lucky to have him, and they're already on the phone with his agent. I don't see Coach Boom sitting around ignoring good job offers on the off chance that CKS will take the leap this year. That said, I don't think he'll take the first offer that comes along, either. Once Florida and Michigan make their hires, there will be some quality jobs opening up. I think he'll shop the HC vacancies, and if he doesn't see the right one (Colorado State?), he'll have his pick of top DC positions to choose from.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He will go to arky or ATM. The reason I don't say auburn is because Gus and him will be fighting for credit and couldn't get along because Gus is basically an oc with a hc title.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He will go to arky or ATM. The reason I don't say auburn is because Gus and him will be fighting for credit and couldn't get along because Gus is basically an oc with a hc title.
Why would Muschamp go to Arkansas? That defense isn't bad (ranked #22 in yards per game).

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If he wants to be a HC, he will have to do it at a lower level - his record in a weak division of the SEC is nothing to be proud of, not at Florida. However, he might take a DC job at a top tier school with a coach who may soon be retiring or soon getting fired - I'd have to look around to see what schools would fit that bill. I don't know if he would leave the South or not.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Muschamp needs to wash off a year or two as a DC at a big school. If Kirby leaves to a head coaching jog it could happen.

BUT, most schools will want new coaches in place ASAP once we get past December 6th Championship weekend. If Bama is in the Playoff, suddenly Kirby is less valuable because he won't leave Bama until after the playoff is over.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Muschamp needs to wash off a year or two as a DC at a big school. If Kirby leaves to a head coaching jog it could happen.

BUT, most schools will want new coaches in place ASAP once we get past December 6th Championship weekend. If Bama is in the Playoff, suddenly Kirby is less valuable because he won't leave Bama until after the playoff is over.
Dec 6? Only if they don't make it to a bowl game. Otherwise, the "old" coach is probably expected (and most will agree) to remain until after their respective teams have played those games and their season has ended.
Fwiw, Kirby Smart will never be "less valuable". That is not as long as he can coach. He's going to get a lot of offers and will be on some schools' "wish list" for a very long time.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Coach Saban said he had tried to call CWM but couldn't get through to him this week. To me CNS was just letting him know that he was there if CWM needed him. I look for him to sit out next season and then look at options. He might want to go the SECn route like Gene Chizik or do nothing and get his head on straight. He certainly won't need the money.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Dec 6? Only if they don't make it to a bowl game. Otherwise, the "old" coach is probably expected (and most will agree) to remain until after their respective teams have played those games and their season has ended.
Fwiw, Kirby Smart will never be "less valuable". That is not as long as he can coach. He's going to get a lot of offers and will be on some schools' "wish list" for a very long time.
That was in the past, most teams want that coach in place to set up recruiting for December, even if much of it is a dead period. The point is most coaches would not leave a team heading to the playoffs, while most coaches would leave a team heading to a rando bowl.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Maybe...just maybe, he'll try to survive off his buyout for fifty years or so and take the job that fits him the best. He's not desperate to find another job. He has plenty of time and money to think.
And NO, this is not meant to be blue font.
Think about it.
He doesn't need to go to work immediately.
sip

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
two days ago on the paul finebaum show one of the espn analysts stated that if hugh freeze should go to fla Kirby would be a great hire for miss. if that happened I am sure muschamp would be great fire. of course, south Carolina and auburn would really be a team for his services. ellis Johnson once again is showing defensive coord lack of coaching.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
With his huge buyout, I think he takes a year off. He's set for life financially.

I just don't see him working for Saban again. Didn't his wife make some negative comments a while back about the long and grueling hours he worked when in Baton Rouge?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
FYI: Champ's on record as saying he wants to coach in 2015.

I don't blame him. And I can understand why. He's always been a fierce competitor. And sometimes fiery as well. :)

IMHO he has great value....not only because of his pedigree but also because he's a quality person with a ton of integrity and character and someone who would represent any program with a lot of class.

I'm thinking he goes back to the DC role for a short period until his W-L record at Florida is not as fresh in everyone's mind, if that makes any sense. After which he could consider a HC position at the right school, should he desire it.

Just my opinion - we'll see what happens. There's still a part of me that wishes he could still be HC at Florida - with the provision of course he does not meddle with the offense. :)

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
FYI: Champ's on record as saying he wants to coach in 2015.

I don't blame him. And I can understand why. He's always been a fierce competitor. And sometimes fiery as well. :)

IMHO he has great value....not only because of his pedigree but also because he's a quality person with a ton of integrity and character and someone who would represent any program with a lot of class.

I'm thinking he goes back to the DC role for a short period until his W-L record at Florida is not as fresh in everyone's mind, if that makes any sense. After which he could consider a HC position at the right school, should he desire it.

Just my opinion - we'll see what happens. There's still a part of me that wishes he could still be HC at Florida - with the provision of course he does not meddle with the offense. :)
I am willing to bet, he ends up as Mother Superiors DC in Cockville. Said it right after the USC/Florida game. Whammy is off the board....

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I just love these threads, makes you think!
now think about this & be honest exclude Kirby Smart & Burton Burns please.

What coach hired ny CNS have you agreed with? If you look back on this board, there have been issues or concerns with all current & past hires especially re-hires.

All I know is I really Trust Coach Saban, whoever he thinks can help him how can we disagree with it? I don't think he will hire CWM but I did not see Kiffin coming plus he offered Ricky Willams a job.

I think it really shows the difference in schools as well.

Spurrier can hire who he wants, so can Miles, but Gus, and most of the rest do not have that option. IMO, that is what went wrong at FL. I do think CWM will hold out for a HC job with more control.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.